Sound System & Horn not operational?

MikeD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all!

First, wanted to share my excitement of finally purchasing my dream car after 30 years! I purchased a 2013 GTS!

Second, the one I bought had a couple known issues if anyone could help?

-My horn is going off seemingly random, for approximately 10 seconds. However, when I press the horn buttons on the steering wheel the horn doesn't sound? I pulled the horn fuse until I could figure out the issue.
-My sound system turns on and the display functions, but there is no sound from the speakers. The fuse shows no signs of going bad?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You need to check the hood and hatch switches. A tech with a wiTECH pod could be a big help. If you find that the switches are OK, you might want to think about the horn pad...particularly since it does not seem work when you push the button.

The horn going off randomly required the replacement of the horn pad on a friend's 2010. Note: horn pad replacement required replacing the airbag unit.

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the horn issue fixed, but my sound system is still not working. I have changed both fuses and checked the amp. The radio functions fine, just no sound. Anyone had this issue or know how to fix it?

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest I’m not sure; I changed the fuse, but I suspect one of the hood latches wasn’t closed all the way. So far it hasn’t done it again.

wishboneviper104

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all!

First, wanted to share my excitement of finally purchasing my dream car after 30 years! I purchased a 2013 GTS!

-My horn is going off seemingly random, for approximately 10 seconds. However, when I press the horn buttons on the steering wheel the horn doesn't sound? I pulled the horn fuse until I could figure out the issue.
-My sound system turns on and the display functions, but there is no sound from the speakers. The fuse shows no signs of going bad?

I had the same problem with my 2013 take it back to the Dealership, they know there’s a problem!! Thanks, Craig

wishboneviper104

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all!

PS I thought mine was fixed as well until all of a sudden the horn started going off by itself and I could not stop it, I highly recommend going to a Dodge Dealership they my even have a campaign on the problem ✅

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, to the dealership I go!

SRT BILL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone made any progress on this steering wheel air bag-horn problem? I've been looking around to purchase a new or used unit, they just aren't available. Its seems they post a price ($1300) however none available. Just wondering if anyone has tried to figure out why the horn pad part of this unit seems to fail. Could it be possibly repaired? maybe even better than new. I've read a while back where someone did find one, installed and it worked for a while only to fail again. Any input could be helpful.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your assumption is that it is the button.
You need to unplug the button from the circuit. If it continues to go off, it is not the button of course and you need to look at the wiring or it is the alarm system.
I don't have a service manual so I can't see the wiring diagrams to recommend in more details.

SRT BILL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Pizano, In my case the horn has stopped blowing as some have described you can't actually make it sound no matter how hard you press the center of the pad. It still works on other requests like the alarm, locking and unlocking etc.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could it be a clock spring issue? I'd suspect more things wouldn't be working right if that was the issue, but it is an important part of the circuit.

SRT BILL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Steve. Fortunately everything else works properly. I'm curious if anyone has taken one of these apart and tried to reverse engineer the part that makes the horn work. I believe the air bag horn combo must have a week link, in the part that allows you to engage the horn.