Spark plug boot heat shields

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there some ancient Chinese secret to removing these and putting them back on?

Any help would be great, thanks.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Move the rings to the back by using/pressing each thumb on each sideof the ring; once to the back,make a small hole-the size of lead pencil point. Work the ring out ( like taking a key out keyfob ring). Once out it is easy to put them on the spark plug leads....reverse the order...I did these for my ACR...

You must be registered for see images attach

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the Gen I/II's, but on the III's you can grab the metal heat shield with a pair of pliers and pull them out. It might take some rocking and elbow grease. They don't like to come out easily. As far as putting them back in, I've never done it. If you get Adam's wires with the heat shield material made on them, you don't need the factory metal ones on there anymore. Leaving them off makes it a whole lot easier to change your plugs later.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TowDawg is right.

Confucuis says vicegrips help with getting them out. Some might tell you to use some exotic tool. I slightly close the head end of the heat shield with pliers to get it back in. I use a sand mallet and wood to gently drive the shield back in it's seat.

I haven't had a problem in 4 spark plug swaps, a supercharger install and a few wire swaps. I'm sure others have different techniques. If you are careful mine will leave your shields looking like they did from the factory.

Good luck.:2tu:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good set of needlenose pliers rock-n-pull and then the scrap barrel. Use some liquid wrench if you have the time to wait overnight for a good soaking. I have ab's wires but do run a ceramic outer boot also on my GTS.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, needle nose pliers does the job. If you're changing out your plugs you may want to blow out any debris that gets caught in the spark plug recess before you pull the plugs out.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You reuse all the parts the engineers or enthusiasts say to toss LOL.

In some cases, yes.
I'm sure Dodge puts these on just to waste money ;)
If it keeps heat away from my wires etc. darn right I want them. Same with the factory heat shields......when I was running regular headers I ran them....didn't care if anyone could see my headers.

Perhaps if you had the plug shields your car would not need THREE coolant fans :lmao:

Maybe it's time for a second alternator too :D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In some cases, yes.
I'm sure Dodge puts these on just to waste money ;)
If it keeps heat away from my wires etc. darn right I want them. Same with the factory heat shields......when I was running regular headers I ran them....didn't care if anyone could see my headers.

Perhaps if you had the plug shields your car would not need THREE coolant fans :lmao:

Maybe it's time for a second alternator too :D

Tony... You are so sensitive. I was only poking fun at your previous statements that you reuse things like flywheel bolts etc. But now that you've called me out, poking fun at my car, I get to post large life size pics of my beautiful work to defend myself. :rolaugh:

Custom mirror polished stainless steel Belanger heats shields and AB's wires and ceramic plug boots.

All because I drive more than 1/4 mile at a time in this 110 degree Texas traffic :lmao:

You must be registered for see images

Custom dual fans for additional "stuck in traffic" cooling.

All because I drive more than 1/4 mile at a time in this 110 degree Texas traffic :lmao:

God I do pretty work :2tu:

Oh, and please post info on this dual alternator setup. I'm interested! I'll need them for the rollbar and offroad lights I'm doing next! :omg:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ahhhh

at your previous statements that you reuse things like flywheel bolts etc.

that's where the plural reference came from :cool:

if my viper ever saw :omg: how good some of you guys treat yours, there'd be some 'splainin' to do :mad:

:drive:

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony... You are so sensitive. I was only poking fun at your previous statements that you reuse things like flywheel bolts etc. But now that you've called me out, poking fun at my car, I get to post large life size pics of my beautiful work to defend myself. :rolaugh:

Custom mirror polished stainless steel Belanger heats shields and AB's wires and ceramic plug boots.

Custom dual fans for additional "stuck in traffic" cooling.

God I do pretty work :2tu:

Oh, and please post info on this dual alternator setup. I'm interested! I'll need them for the rollbar and offroad lights I'm doing next! :omg:

A little bit more armor all on the plastic parts...cotton parade gloves and you can get to them....lol....

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony... You are so sensitive. I was only poking fun at your previous statements that you reuse things like flywheel bolts etc.

Me ?? Looks like you are the sensitive one.
When you are making 1000+ at the tires with flywheel bolts that have been off and on at least 15 times..............call me LOL. Until then, I have way more experience.

Also a correction for you. Those are not ceramic spark plug boots. These :D are ceramic boots:

Also a "very" notable mention is that you are telling folks they don't need the plug/boot heat shields yet you have soft boot covers on yours :dunno:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960