Spend $10k in Mods or Go For '08???

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Itching to mod my '06 coupe so that I don't have to worry about '08's, Ford GT's, new ZR1, new GTR, etc. It appears I need to get to approx. 600-650 rwhp to be safe. Although the ultimate decision is determining whether to spend money on the '06 or move into an '08, what are the pros/cons (other than those I've listed) of these two options:

(1) Paxton, full exhaust - seems like the popular choice, 650 rwhp should be obtainable with conservative tune, but now I read that Paxton hp doesn't necessarily equal N/A hp in terms of 1/4 mile, etc. (i.e. 650 rwhp Paxton may equal 575 N/A car). Then, there are issues with heat soak. How much would heat soak reduce the 650hp? There is also the warranty issue.

(2) Striker heads, full exhaust - not cheap, but seemingly pretty darn effective. Striker claims 600 rwhp for an '06??? And then Greg's custom porting for even more hp??? That's seems terrific and should give fits to Paxton cars (yes, I see there is another thread re: Paxton v. N/A car, but that car does not have heads if I recall correctly). Can it be had for $10k? This should be easier on the engine than a supercharger because it's making the engine more efficient, correct? Any downside to this approach other than cost?

Thanks in advance.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The price you will get on your car compared to the price of the 08 with tax is much greater than $10,000. I hope that helps.

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What has been said above holds true, and I will add my two pennies.

I would recomend driving an 08 when you can. See what all the differences are in translation to the actual driving experience. That may make it worth all the difference, or not enough. I'm sure a club member will have an 08' around you soon enough and will be kind enough to let you give it a dance.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What has been said above holds true, and I will add my two pennies.

I would recomend driving an 08 when you can. See what all the differences are in translation to the actual driving experience. That may make it worth all the difference, or not enough. I'm sure a club member will have an 08' around you soon enough and will be kind enough to let you give it a dance.

This is true too. What you also must consider the mods you have done to your car already, if you have. With everything I have done, power is the only thing i am lacking in comparison, not counting the tranny and rear end differences. Also i am not 100% sold on the throttle by wire and the variable timing either.

Nonetheless, I look forward to getting a ride in an 08 someday.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not a simple question to answer.

If you are only interested in straight line performance as your question states, then adding a Paxton with exhaust will get the job done, and for less $

The unasked question is will the resulting lack of warranty, and additional maintenance expenses, combined with the missing transmission, rear end, suspension, computer upgrades etc, make the whole package not cost effective.

The new 08 is a different driving experience. Different throttle response, smoother shifting tranny, improved rear end, better tires, new exhaust system etc.

Then, of course, if you decide on the 08 you gotta start asking yourself the next obvious question. Should I mod the 08 for an extra easy +75 hp and totally dominate all those other named cars.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would add 3:55 gears and a lightened flywheel keep $8000+ in your pocket.

355 alone = an acceleration that feels and acts like you added 75HP at 10% of the cost.
The Flywheel "feels like" another acceleration bonus equivalent of 20HP.

All 6 gears are more useable and even more fun. Great SOTP feel.

The car slows down faster, too. Like a brake upgrade !

No warrantee issues. No heat issues. No RUNABILITY / IGNITION / FUEL issues.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

355 alone = an acceleration that feels and acts like you added 75HP at 10% of the cost.

Add to the above recomendation light weight wheels and tires (such as Sport Cups mounted on SSRs which will drop unsprung weight by over 70 lbs) and and it will feel like you picked up yet another 50 rwhp.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is tricky, cuz the 08's are putting down 545ish rwhp, stock, not fully broken in. A few guys with them are already modding them w/ exhaust, and there is a Mopar package (I believe) that adds another 75 hp....so, if you go w/ the full n/a mod w/ heads and cam, you will reach a max of 600-615 rwhp on your Gen 3. Right there w/ the 08 w/ the Mopar package. But since the 08 has the better tranny it will still have the advantage and is simply an overall better car than our Gen 3's. Also, to reach the 600 rwhp numbers n/a, the builders are taking the compressoin ratio close to 11:1 in most cases, which means you probably will not be able to supercharge that engine later w/out predetonation. In other words, you will have hit a limit unless u spend more money to get the c/r back to safe numbers if u decide to s/c later.

In other words, 600 rwhp n/a Gen 3 Viper will not be competitive w/ most Gen 4 Vipers (most guys WILL mod their Gen 4's.) It will stomp a stock ZR1, but remember those are screw blowers on that Vette, which produces more power under the curve than the Paxtons, so again, just w/ exhaust mods the ZR1 will be even that much more formidable.

If you plan to beat those cars you mentioned reliably, I think you will need to go to 700 rwhp minimum w/ a Paxton, you can get that for a good price.

rtigert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say, If there is no possibility of selling either vehicle in the next few years, mod your '06. If you will/would trade/sell either, go for the '08 w/o mods; then you'll at least have the performance with warranty. I feel like the mods will loose value just as much as the depreciation of a new vehicle 2-3 years down the road.

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score

JohB

I have done this and still need more. I think I'm going with the Paxton.

Carleton
2005 Comm. Ed. #56
Mopar Race Ex. Mopar Shifter
K&Ns DC Performance Reflash, 170*T-Stat
Quaife, 355's, Al. Flywheel , Asanti 20" AF112s, PS2s
478hp/501tq.

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JohB

I have done this and still need more. I think I'm going with the Paxton.

Carleton
2005 Comm. Ed. #56
Mopar Race Ex. Mopar Shifter
K&Ns DC Performance Reflash, 170*T-Stat
Quaife, 355's, Al. Flywheel , Asanti 20" AF112s, PS2s
478hp/501tq.
Horsepower is like drugs.. It's addictive!
You must be registered for see images
You need help...:)

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been driving Vettes (70's), Poshas (80's-90's) and Ferraris and Viper (00's) for 30 years. You can NOT keep up with the new technology in older cars, and will always be chasing the Joneses unless you are first in line at the dealership. The only way to stay at the top of the pile is to buy the latest and greatest and mod it, ala Heffner or Hennessey and or other tuner cars. Take a breath and enjoy what you have, go ahead and mod it if you want to, knowing that you are not going to get a return on your money, but neither will you if you buy an 08. Believe me, the 08 guys are going to be standing in your shoes in two years. It is inevitable. You can get into the 'latest and best' race, maybe you already are, if you want to, but it will cost plenty. You can't do that for $5k a year investment ($10k every two years). Just consider what it would cost if you were buying Ferraris ($100k every two years). Go get an 08 (or Venom 650) if you can afford it, or whatever you are willing to pay for your pleasure. You only live once... Just my 2c.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 545 rwhp 2008 Viper will give a paxtoned 2006 650 rwhp SRT10 a run for it's money at the drag strip..But on a 70-150 mph freeway blast the paxtoned SRT10 will wax the 2008...650 rwhp VS 550 rwhp will do that..Especially in the slower 3rd and 4th gears were the paxton will be in it's peak Zone of 4000-6000 rpm's for a while...

And 650's just the start. they're have been 1000 rwhp paxtons..The 2008's are maxed out to around 650 rwhp right now...And with the compression they have I dont see anything better than 750 rwhp anytime soon..

the 2006 is currently the better modding platform

OP
OP
S

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Excellent responses all and very informative. Thank you very much. It seems like the Paxton is the way to go and that something closer to 700 rwhp is what will be needed to keep peace of mind for a few more years.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Itching to mod my '06 coupe so that I don't have to worry about '08's, Ford GT's, new ZR1, new GTR, etc. It appears I need to get to approx. 600-650 rwhp to be safe. Although the ultimate decision is determining whether to spend money on the '06 or move into an '08, what are the pros/cons (other than those I've listed) of these two options:

(1) Paxton, full exhaust - seems like the popular choice, 650 rwhp should be obtainable with conservative tune, but now I read that Paxton hp doesn't necessarily equal N/A hp in terms of 1/4 mile, etc. (i.e. 650 rwhp Paxton may equal 575 N/A car). Then, there are issues with heat soak. How much would heat soak reduce the 650hp? There is also the warranty issue.

(2) Striker heads, full exhaust - not cheap, but seemingly pretty darn effective. Striker claims 600 rwhp for an '06??? And then Greg's custom porting for even more hp??? That's seems terrific and should give fits to Paxton cars (yes, I see there is another thread re: Paxton v. N/A car, but that car does not have heads if I recall correctly). Can it be had for $10k? This should be easier on the engine than a supercharger because it's making the engine more efficient, correct? Any downside to this approach other than cost?

Thanks in advance.

Good luck!

Last edited:

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion, shoot for a usable 500rhwp with bolt-ons and a DC reprogram or vec III and enjoy. 600-650 rwhp if you drive your car often and hard will result in engine failure, transmission problems etc. As someone said earlier, there will alway be someone faster. By the way, when was the last time any of us lined up with with a ZR1, ZO6, Bugatti Veyron, Viper, Porshe GT2,Lambo, Ferarri, ect. at an impromtu light to light race on the street. My point is 400 hp beat the crap out of most cars on the street and the above mention cars you will rarely ever meet.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion, shoot for a usable 500rhwp with bolt-ons and a DC reprogram or vec III and enjoy. 600-650 rwhp if you drive your car often and hard will result in engine failure, transmission problems etc. As someone said earlier, there will alway be someone faster. By the way, when was the last time any of us lined up with with a ZR1, ZO6, Bugatti Veyron, Viper, Porshe GT2,Lambo, Ferarri, ect. at an impromtu light to light race on the street. My point is 400 hp beat the crap out of most cars on the street and the above mention cars you will rarely ever meet.
what all needs to be done to obtain 500 at the wheels?
thanks

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After installing the Paxton, 3:55 gears, Full Belanger exhaust and headers, and a DC computer reflash, I have ALL that is really usable on the street. Torque is incredible! Heat soak can be a problem in Phoenix when it's 115 degrees out, but not that big of a deal. Modified, along with the price of the car for less than $72K, I'll take my 05! It's scary fast, and VERY reliable! Engine failures? With the amount I drive my car I doubt that will a problem any time soon. If I were you, just as others have said, weigh the differences in what you can do for $10K in comparison with selling the 06 and then having to buy the $95K 08 after taxes, license, and original selling price. Then decide. Really, either way you have a winner!!!!!!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess I'll just point out the obvious - Get rid of the runcraps first!

Extra hp isn't much good when the les hp Z06 vette can blow you off the road. HP is really easy, if all you want is to beat all the stockers once in a while - instal a Nitrous kit. Cheap and change the jets for the torque and hp you want. Torque like a Roe sc and hp like Roe (instant and overwhelming). But don't bother if you've only got runcraps. Installing any other tire will also make the car stop faster - and that should be important too.

Ted

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In the past 18 months while in my deceased 99 rt10 or current SRT10 Ive raced....

-supercharged S2000
-2002 ACR with bolt ons
-Roe SC GTS
-2007 Z06
-408 WS6 Fbody
-several 550-800 rwhp supras
-420 awhp EVO
-420 rwhp H/C fbody

And quite a few more Im sure Im forgetting...If you drive your Viper on weekend nights your sure to ocassionally see some sorthy aponnents

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what all needs to be done to obtain 500 at the wheels?
thanks

Bone stock most SRT10's are 440 rwhp..

-KN filters=445 rwhp
-roller rockers=450 rwhp
-exhaust with no cats=460 rwhp
-belanger headers=475 rwhp
-x metal or ROE throttle body=480 rwhp
-light weight flywheel DC or findanza=483 rwhp
-light weight pulleys=490 rwhp
-finish it with DC tune=500-510 rwhp

Keep in mind that this is all very general and results will vary. Some people dyno 455-460 rwhp BONE STOCK..

I my self hit 459 rwhp with only KN filters and arrow roller rockers

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21