SRT-10 Pedal Discoloration?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
SRT-10 Owners.....

We have recently had 3 customers ask to buy pedal covers for SRT-10s. I pointed out that they are NOT needed on SRT10s, due to the much nicer, drilled, cast, lightweight OE pedalsets. [And, Im always trying to kill sales anyway.]

Two of these guys say "my clutch and brake pedals are corroding".... and they had 05-06 Vipers! One claimed his C/B pedals were 'totally rust-brown.' So I checked my 100-day old '06 SRT-C....YUP, those 2 pedals are beginning to look pitted and a "rusty" brownish....as if I had stepped in something nasty. The dead and gas pedals are OK. I have yet to take a soft-brass brush to them. Anyone here notice this ? I searched posts here 1 year...no comments.

If you have a digital photo of advanced pedal discoloration, plz send it to me at: [email protected] or to [email protected] THANKS

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jon i don't thinks its discolored they came that way from the factory most people don't get in and look at the pedals closely till they have owned the cars a while to realize that they came in different finishes. mine have been different since day one 3 yrs ago and i never questioned it.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i also agree that buying new pedals for the car is a waste of money the stockers are very nice. mine are not rusty but a more grayish finish than the shiney go pedal

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing here Michael. It would be nice if there was an easy way to make the brake and clutch look more like the accel pedal though.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note the difference in pedal textures between the brake and throttle (pic from the Viper brochure posting by Houss):

142006_Viper_Sales_Brochure_Page_3wm-med.jpg

I wonder why the difference.

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note the difference in pedal textures between the brake and throttle (pic from the Viper brochure posting by Houss):

142006_Viper_Sales_Brochure_Page_3wm-med.jpg

I wonder why the difference.

My pedals also look discolored. I bet the heat from the cabin fries them!

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine look the same way too. The gas pedal is die cast aluminum.

the other two look like sand cast aluminum. As a matter of fact I took a small wire brush to the brake and clutch pedal and was able to remove the brown coloration, but it still looks rough compared to the die cast gas pedal.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys... I will see if there is anything that can be done about this tomorrow. I have to go to the local Plater to get a few things anodized for my current monster project, but I will bring my pedals with me to see what they say. Perhaps they can be hard-coat anodized or even decorative anodized... either would prevent the discoloration. I am not sure if they are Aluminum or Magnesium however... might be the only showstopper...

RainMaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, the break and clutch pedal are definetly of a different composite than the dead and acceleration. I didn't even know that the acceleration pedal still had plastic wrapped on it!

The rough color probably means that they are slightly heavier.

I just got the car and I did notice it in the beginning but didn't pay too much attention because it was pouring rain and I thought it might have been a bit of dirt from my shoes.

BigSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you should ask this question. I have an 03 SRT and I was vacuuming it out the other day and noticed that the brake and clutch pedals turned a rust color. I thought that I had stepped in clay, or even dog [******], but when I took a close look it was discoloration. It's not a big deal because it's so difficult to see them, and even get the vacuum in the foot well to clean. Keep us posted on a solution.

ccronald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pedals on my 03 turned rusty after about six months. I complained to the dealer in 04 but they said they could only get the complete pedal cluster at that time. I complained again in 05 and the individual pedals were available and replaced under warrantee. The rust has not returned as yet so possibly DC has changed their process.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I dropped the pedals off today. Unfortunately, the Metalurgist who works there was out. He should be in tomorrow, and will be able to determine what alloys the pedals are, and what type of anodizing could possibly yeild a close color match on them.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Jeep has only 2 pedals, while my Viper has 3. Should I convert the Viper to a 2 pedal system, or change the Viper to a 3 pedal system like the Jeep.

What is the purpose of the extra pedal?
Sorry. Just in a goofy mood tonight. :bonker: :nono: :curse:

N

Nobody

After walking, Today I noticed the bottom of one of my shoes was brown almost as if I stepped in something ,should I clean it? how do I do that? or do I just have my bare feet anodized to match? how do I take picks of the bottom of my feet? :buttkick:

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After walking, Today I noticed the bottom of one of my shoes was brown almost as if I stepped in something ,should I clean it? how do I do that? or do I just have my bare feet anodized to match? how do I take picks of the bottom of my feet? :buttkick:

HaHaHa! Good stuff. Maybe Zaino will help.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Haven't noticed any discoloration yet on my 04.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry guys... No Dice on the pedals. It appears that the Dead Pedal/Gas pedal are of different casting type and alloys than the Clutch/Brake, and thus would not come out correctly if anodized, they would be an extreme mis-match... and thats even before we figured out if they are Al or Mg. I suspect some or all of them are Mg, in which case- good luck even finding someone to anodize them... not around here at least.

Styxman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The coating on the pedals is a process known as terminal spray aka (flame spray) to give the pedals a texture. Basically it’s at powdered metal (tungsten carbide) heated to a molten state to stick, let cool then coated with a sealant. The difference in coating is how cours or how fine the powdered metal you use. In the case of the brake and clutch pedals the powdered metal is much courser than the accelerator pedal.

Attachments

• B1A90739-A30B-4DA7-BE39-B37FB91407C0.jpeg
    B1A90739-A30B-4DA7-BE39-B37FB91407C0.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 9

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wow, that's cool to know. Mine have plenty of wear on them from 130k+ miles of driving on them, but I've noticed they are a little oddly colored. I think the thing I notice more is that the corner of the throttle pedal has just a little bit of what looks like plastic protective covering lifting. Guessing that's just the sealer coat thing, but doesn't really bother me that much anyway.

V10Sidepipes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I started my interior project, one of the things I did was pull the pedals and the dead pedal brace and sandblast everything. The brace got painted and the pedals were left raw and have held up nicely.

Attachments

• 3F7F71AA-0A78-4808-A6E9-C7A2203EB27F.jpeg
    3F7F71AA-0A78-4808-A6E9-C7A2203EB27F.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 732BABBF-39C0-4561-9482-F41AAFCB4CAE.jpeg
    732BABBF-39C0-4561-9482-F41AAFCB4CAE.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 3
  • B0D6D2A2-0EEC-4296-82A2-A1E54061B0AB.jpeg
    B0D6D2A2-0EEC-4296-82A2-A1E54061B0AB.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 3
  • E9E3E03E-AE8E-4D8D-9CD0-C7BEEADBAE26.jpeg
    E9E3E03E-AE8E-4D8D-9CD0-C7BEEADBAE26.jpeg