SRT Engineers - Why the wheel gap

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I think the wheel gap is related to drag. You would think a smaller gap equals less drag, but that might not neccesarily be so. Maybe a larger wheel gap releases air from under the car?

On the ZO6, look at the area just behind the front wheel, it is carved out in that area for less drag. Its got one of the lowest drag coefficients.

Just my s.w.a.g.! (scientific wild-ass guess)

Sleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a good question, and it has been on my mind as well. I would like to pose it to the SRT team. I believe the ride height is one of the most important parameters which determines the limits of the Viper's road course abilities. I suspect that a lower center of gravity is a single factor that would have more conclusively shown the Viper's superiority on the track, compared to the new ZO-6 and Ford GT.
I had a Moton Club Sport suspension installed on my 05 SRT prior to taking delivery earlier this summer. The performance and handling are far better than the 03 SRT with stock suspension that I traded in for the new car.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same reason they put those huge mud flaps on the back of sportbikes, to give us something to do...

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at any recent Bimmer, the reason they look good is the big wheel/tire combo wrapped tightly by the arches. Lowered Vipers look SOOOOO much better. Maybe DC thinks we want to add 22" wheels to the snake....
3104MVC-022S-med.JPG

3104GreenBMW.jpg