SRT FLYWHEEL INSTALL????

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm fixing to install my aluminum flywheel on the 04 SRT. As many of you know this flywheel has the crank pickups/sensor setup. Is there anything special I need to know before tackling this project? I have done many of the GTS's in the past, but did not have to deal with this new design factor. I hate to get this in and the car not start.

Skip White

OP
OP
S

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The changeover is to be done on Monday morning, so if anyone has any tips, please let me know. My car only has 2000 miles on it. I've never replaced flywheel bolts in past cars, but some say do it. I also need a memory refreshment on torque specs.

Skip White

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Skip,

I gave Dodge a call for ya and asked about the torque specs on those bolts. They said that fingure tight is good enough! :D

OP
OP
S

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mostly wanted to know the the torque specs on the bolts going into the crankshaft.

As for the pressure plate, finger tight seems a little broad. I do know it takes very little on this, and since the flywheel is aluminum, maybee even less than normal.

Skip

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Skip, here's some info from 2004 Service Manual:

" Flywheel Bolts 74 N.m (55 Ft.Lbs.)

Clutch Cover Bolts 30 N.m (22 Ft.Lbs or 270 In.Lbs)

Clutch Release Bearing 20 N.m (200 In.Lbs)

Clutch Bleed Screw 18 N.m (156 In.Lbs)"

DISCLAIMER: As always, the manual says "Ft.Lbs." whereas it should read "Lb.Ft." when discussing torque...AND, some of the conversions stated above DO NOT match the tables in the front of this same manual.

Hope this is some help, Skip.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip,

Uhhh, that was a joke. You know the whole issue with the cam bolts not being torqued to spec and some owners finding other bolts only fingure tight? Work with me.

OP
OP
S

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wondered about that.

I thought is he serious, or joking, or did he mean hand tight, or something like that.

I didn't catch it, I wasn't thinking, it won't be the first time someone said to me, "that was a joke"

Joke well taken........

Skip

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What ever happened to : Tighten it till it snaps, and back it off half a turn"?

:)

OP
OP
S

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got it done yesterday, chatters bad, but must go through the breakin period. The disc doe's have a sprung hub.

Point of engagement has changed. I now closer to the floor to disengage. This I don't like. I want it back in the middle, plus it seams to make shifting notchy.

Here are weight difference's

oem flywheel 30.5 Fidanza 17.5

oem pressure plate 27.4 Spec lightweight 22.5

oem disc 5.1 6 puck ceramic 4.2

This is great and I can really feel the difference in the car's pickup. It's one of the few mods I've done that has some real accell. to it.

Gotta get the other proplems worked out.

Skip White

Viper IV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Skip
Confirms what I was told..Install with the stock pressure plate
and clutch disk.

I've made a lot of aluminum flywheel changes in the past and was
always happy with the performance gain. (faster RPM response)

Just finished having the gears, exhaust, air filter assembly done
and realized quite an improvement. The flywheel should be the last
change coming up for now. (maybe next week)

Thanks to RonB at the PartsRack for great deals on the parts and to
Ted & Al at Alaya Automotive for the fast 1 day service. I noticed the
new gears are even more quiet than the stock set.

Bob

OP
OP
S

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope not to have to go back to the oem pp, and disc, I will make one more attempt at getting a setup that is better than the oem. I really need to bleed the hydro sytem, as it was not done. The installer said he didn't think it needed it. I will also see if the chatter goes away in a few hundred miles.

I will do the gears next, hope it turns out better.

Skip White

ps, hope you guys that are doing gears are upgrading the cross pin. This is a must!

OP
OP
S

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian I heard the same thing from John Myrick, but acording to Jerry at Unitrax this is still a very weak point, but improved. He really goes on about this with great conviction. I guess if your in there, it's best to go ahead with the Unitrax pin. According to Jerry it's space age technology. You would have to hear him explain it.

Dodge dealers are just now starting to use his cross pin,on warranty work because the improved version is still breaking. I think the small diameter of the pin is why it has to be so well wade not to shatter or flex. Most of us are going to add HP to these cars, and this will be a good upgrade for the money.

Skip

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Unitrax pin, while not only stronger, has a interesting spiral grove cut into it, to allow oil to lubricate it completely. A must do.
Jon B also can supply these parts.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I did the pin too. Do it or you may regret it. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC