1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SRT Set to pull out of 24hrs of Le Mans

Discussion in 'Generation V Discussions / SRT Coupe, GTS, GTC, AC' started by Solid Red 98, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Solid Red 98

Solid Red 98 Viper Owner

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  2. Allan White  Mamba 200/200

Allan White Mamba 200/200 Viper Owner

OK, This is really bad news, and coupled with the huge dealer inventory portends a grim future for the SRT Viper. I truly hope sales improve some, and hopefully without "liquidation" pricing. The Viper is very competitive in Sports Car Racing and would be sorely missed by many. Hope the future looks brighter over the next few months, some race wins would help a lot especially, if it could have been at Lemans. Allan

3. cubican

cubican Viper Owner

Really bad news, I'm not sure what's going to happen with the gen v now.

4. Paul Hawker

Paul Hawker Viper Owner

Just when the Viper and the Vette were really duking it out again.

Gotta make sure I get to see the Vipers running on the Tudor circuit. Gotta give the boys some support.

5. SADVIPER

SADVIPER Viper Owner

I'm surprised nobody talked about the fire here.

6. bluesrt

bluesrt Viper Owner

just a little reset, I would not panic- they will be back

7. KB Viper

KB Viper Viper Owner

That's crazy. I'm a business man and when sales are down you don't stop prospecting for new biz you go harder. They should be entering more events and doing more advertising. When people are on the fence about buying the new Viper and they are in research mode the need to see that the brand thriving not pulling out of events and shutting down plants. Did anyone expect that after a three hiatus that once they debuted the new Viper that sales would immediately be over 2k a year? I thought the combined company of Fiat and Chrysler would have the resources to market the hell out of the Viper?

8. SnakeBitten

SnakeBitten Enthusiast

The decision they made to pull out of Le Mans has really been bothering me this morning. Ive been giving it some thought. Is it possible that since the Vipers budget incorporates the racing program as well, that the pull out of Le Mans coupled with the plant shutdown will free up some money for the Vipers road car program? I do not know how much money that involves but if its significant enough maybe it will be used for the road car (vert/ACR). Its the only positive outlook I can come up with from this move....

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  9. Hirohawa

Hirohawa Enthusiast

This is sad news. Was looking forward to seeing the Viper at LeMans.

10. VIPER GTSR 91

VIPER GTSR 91 Viper Owner

This really sucks and will not be near as exciting to watch now.

11. Stealth

Stealth Enthusiast

It was posted elsewhere that the Viper racing budget and the street car budget are separate, so the cancellation does not appear to be to funnel $$$$ to the street car development.

12. Bobpantax

Bobpantax Enthusiast

The reason they pulled out was because there could be no assurance that Russia would not have seized France by the time the event occurs and SRT is a freedom loving organization. Шучу comrads.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  13. Fatboy 18

Fatboy 18 Viper Owner

Yep, probably not far off the truth!

14. Mopar488

Mopar488 Viper Owner

Does anybody anywhere have any good news about Vipers? This is starting to get old. It is always doom and gloom, the sky is falling. _ _ _ _

15. Bobpantax

Bobpantax Enthusiast

Just read all the positive threads about the Gen V generally and the TA in particular. For instance take a look at the posted video of the white Gen V SRT Viper beating the F16 at Luke Air Force Base. Turn up the volume. It's a trip! And VOI coming up in September at COTA will be a Viperfest of fun.

I do not think we should allow ourselves to get swept up in media exaggeration of everything that happens.

16. Bruce H.

Bruce H. Enthusiast

Yep, and .... https://www.google.ca/#q=2014+SRT+Viper+TA+review

186,000 positive discussions about the TA, and they pretty much apply to the SRT and GTS also.

17. FrankBarba

FrankBarba Viper Owner

If you all want to see the Viper's Return to Leman's we are
    going to have to open our wallets for sponsorship. If only every owner would
    send a few dollars SRT would have enough to go racing. Who knows maybe
    the SRT Viper will be covered with everyones name along with a stable
    Sponsor.

18. SnakeBitten

SnakeBitten Enthusiast

I read the opposite of that in several different places before so not sure what to believe. At any rate I hope things are not as bad as they appear to be. Time will tell. The GT class wont be the same without them at Le Mans, at least for me. I'm glad they are still commited to the Tudor championship though.

19. Free2go

Free2go Viper Owner

Do you know what the death of the Viper will be?: Becoming too popular.

20. Nsane1

Nsane1 Viper Owner

Well said Free, if I ever see as many Vipers in a day as I see Vettes, I'm dumping my Viper stock (club events not withstanding of course).

21. Bobpantax

Bobpantax Enthusiast

Ralph addressed this issue in his Autoline interview. He said that the Tudor series added 30 hours of racing. The decision was made to use the budget to do the complete Tudor series. he also explained that Lemans involves sending about 42 people over there for a month or more to do testing, etc. and that Lemans alone would have cost about 2.5 million dollars to participate in. So the situation is not dire like the media made it look.

They took a third at Daytona and a second at Sebring. I think that is exciting and pretty damn good for a car that is so new. GO VIPER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the link to access the interview: Autoline - Automotive news, reviews, and auto industry analysis

Ralph also explains the plant shutdown including the deatails why they did it and what they are trying to accomplish by it. Main reason - to allow the dealers some time to sel the highly optioned cars they ordered before they realized that was the wrong way to go. He said it was primarily a 2013 model year issue.