SRT track ready?

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard lots of talk about the SRT not being track legal without a hardtop or roll bar. I am wanting to try out the drag strip, and I'm wondering what everyone's experience has been thus far. Have SRT's passed tech in stock form?? I'd like to hear about other's experiences. Thanks! And I'd be interesting in passing tech for road racing as well...

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My local drag strip stopped me after the first run and said I needed roll bars. I pointed to the 'hoops' and said it's got em. I'm glad they don't read car mags.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I participated in three Viper days this summer in my SRT. But their rules are very clear. SRT's MUST have a roll bar and six point harnesses to participate. This is none negotiable and it should not be. This car has far too much power to get out on a track without minimum saftey precautions. I never had issue at any of the road tracks or drag strips I went to this summer either at Viper Days or club events. The Illinois culb also requires roll bars at Gingerman below certain lap times. I had mine installed by Autoform. Mine was the seond one they did and the first SRT at Viper Days. The point is some tracks might let you run without a roll bar but why would you want to take that kind of chance with your own life. There were other SRT's at drag strips this year but none of the tracks took exception the the stock set up. Your own life is in your hands, how much is your life worth? A roll bar is far less expensive.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The windshield header is a roll bar. Regardless, I've never heard of a Viper flipping on it's roof on an 1/8 mile dragstrip. Seems kinda unlikely. I wouldn't run a road course without a cage, but that opportunity hasn't come up yet.

Mach500

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked the same question to one of the local tracks (Maryland International Raceway) and was told it was O.K. as long as you don't drive it faster than 11.5 seconds in a 1/4 mile. But they caveated the statement by adding, "unless your 2003 Viper SRT-10 is a convertible." :confused: :confused: So I told them ALL 2003 STOCK Viper SRT-10's are convertibles. They told me they would get back to me and I have not heard from them since.

Does anyone else have any experiences with STOCK SRT-10's at drag strips?

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Infineon Raceway told me I could not run an SRT-10 without a rollbar & 5-points, and to not even bother bringing it until it was so equipped.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have run the SRT at Milan dragway twice this year (my only drag racing experiences) and have run at Waterford Hills road racing quite a few times this summer also. There is quite a bit of discression in who can let go (chief steward of the orginzation running the event) if they know you(experience, exuberence, ingnorance levels of the driver). I do not have the autoform bar yet, but will prob. be adding it and 5 pts.

OP
OP
D

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Anyone local in Phoenix pass tech? I agree with the safety issues, but I really just want to run like 2 passes. Not sure if I want to spend money on a roll bar and harness for that...

Mach500

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maryland International Raceway just informed me that any convertible under 13.5 is required to have a roll bar and 5 point seat belt harness.