Stacker trailer help.....

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to be purchasing a bumper pull stacker trailer for hauling a Comp Coupe and a GTS. The trailer length I am considering is 30'. The tow vehicle is capable of pulling the weight of the stacker and the cargo.

With so many brands out there, Pace, Haulmark, Classic, ATC, Renegade, Gold Rush, High Tec, (?), the choices are a little overwhelming.

What features do you like, dislike, are a must to have, is 30' big enough, best brand,etc.....

Any information you can give from a stacker owners viewpoint is appreciated.

Vintage Racer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lots of racing friends with stacker trailers. The two you see most in the paddock are Renegade and Gold Rush. Not the cheapest trailers, but very durable with high quality construction. You can find used trailers for sale in "Auto Week". Here's one of many websites you can go to for used car trailers http://www.race-cars.com/trasales/complist.htm

Watch out for people who want to sell you steel framed stackers. They add a lot of weight and this cuts down on your road speed and fuel mileage.

I've used a 20' Haulmark for years since I only take one car to the track at a time. Several features I've added over time which are useful in any trailer:

1. A cradle for a large nitrogen bottle. Great for tire inflation and also handy to blow green and brown stuff out of the car when you go agricultural.

2. A cradle for my roll around tool box. Very stout. You don't want to think about one of these breaking loose in your trailer.

3. A workbench. Plywood and 2x4 construction with an aluminum work surface.

4. Cabinets. Lots of them. You can never take too much stuff with you to the track. Even if you don't use it, it might help one of your buddies get back on the track.

5. Fuel storage rack. I always haul 20 gallons of fuel with me to the track. I had two local fuel suppliers who always had good fuel. Track fuel can be iffy, and expensive.

6. Driver changing area. Once unloaded I have the center of the trailer set up with a fold down tray, mirror, and curtains. Put a lawn chair in there and it's a great place to lay on all that Nomex and clean yourself up after being on track. Also, kind of a private place to go to to get your head where it needs to be before strapping into the car.

7. Trailer spare tire. Too many ugly stories about guys who got a flat and had no spare.

8. Fan. Older formula cars with the radiators in the nose just roast the driver. I liked to have a fan to sit in front of after I got out of the car. Have only been on track in a Viper twice, but I can't recall if I got cooked.

9. Cameras. I have a small camera mounted above the rear door that diplays on a monitor in the RV cab. Grat for determining when you have cleared a passed vehicle. Thought about putting one inside the trailer also. Some guys do this for the peace of mind of knowing everything is okay, strapped down, and not burning.

10. Drip trays for the stacker. Cars that have been tracked just can't help themselves. They have to leak/vent. The bottom car can be a mess without drip trays above.

I talked with one of my stacker buddies. His input:

1. Positive(manual) Pin Locking. He likes to have four pins which he manually inserts to lock the upper ramp in place. Doesn't like automatic latching mechanisms.

2. Blocks. He keeps blocks in small racks on the wall for blocking newly rolled in cars. Paddocks aren't always level and he likes to have blocks at hand to hold a car in place until they can strap it in.

3. Ramp boards. He carries special boards that supplement the trailer ramps to help with clearance issues when loading cars, especially the one going on the upper ramp.

4. Distant Operation. He prefers to have an operator on a cord that gets them well away from the ramp when they are raising and lowering it. Most stackers come with a wall mounted operator that puts you close to the ramp as it goes up and down. A dropped car doesn't necessarily stay on the ramp.

5. Weigh it fully loaded. Run your trailer through a scale once you've got it crammed full of stuff including both cars. Make sure you are not exceeding the GVWR.

OP
OP
N

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for your input. I have been looking at the aluminum trailers today versus the steel trailers. They seem to way roughly 60% of a steel trailer. Although they are much more expensive up front to purchase.

I have seen the drip trays offered as an option - that is probably a good thing to get.

The ramp extensions I have seen advertised in the SCCA magazines are going to be a must to load the CC. Possibly a dove tail on the rear 3' of the trailer will help as well.

I was planning on using the RV for cooling down and changing, as well as using the RV generator to run the lights, etc.. in the trailer.

I hadn't thought about the camera inside the trailer - but that might not be a bad idea.

Thanks for the info., I appreciate your input.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newt...also check out racingjunk.com
have you thought about a totor home & trailer package???

OP
OP
N

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank,

I have been looking religously at racingjunk.com , there are some good deals on that site. That is more than likely one of the best bets for finding a good used trailer.

I looked very closely at the ATC website today - pretty confusing on all of the options and pricing. All of the information is on the site in regards to pricing and options - just a whole lot of information to wade through.

I am going the RV / stacker route instead of the Toterhome/trailer route so I can use the RV with my family and other trips when not at the track. The toterhomes/trailer are definitely a less expensive way to go (used), but they don't fit in with what I am trying to accomplish.

I am trying to avoid spending $30K on a trailer without making an informed decision. If money was not a factor, I would probably buy the ATC ($55K - new). I do believe in buying quality, but that is a little too much $/quality for me at this point.

I looked at a stacker in person today, and I can mark that manufacturer off of the list. So, maybe the route I need to take is to start taking manufacturers off of the list and ending up with those manufacturers that I do like.

Thank you for your help.

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Newt
Also check out trailershopper.com if you have'nt already.
A new - used trailer at the right price is going to be tuff, but there are some out there.
I just bought a new Millennium Aluminum gooseneck, but they do not make stackers.
Let me know if I can help.
Flyin'