Start Stop Technology

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read on Autoblog several days ago (sorry I didn't copy, it was buried in a Corvette article), that it will be gov't mandated on all 2015 models. If so, this will not be a welcome feature on the Viper.

It is standard equip on my 2014 Mercedes, and I find it annoying, quirky and hesitant, especially when moving quickly from brake to accelerator. It can be disabled, but you need to do so every time on engine start.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm so freaking tired of all these stupid government mandates that add hundreds if not thousands of dollars to the price of the vehicle not to mention another headaches as the vehicle gets older. it's another unneeded feature you have to worry about breaking down and leaving you stranded costing you money that you saved on gas. Just like a hybrid that will cost you between $5 to $7k on worn out batteries after a few years. And believe that crap it will get cheaper as more people by into hybrid, it doesn't. Just more crap forced down our throats by our beloved elected official meddling in the private sector.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
... It can be disabled, but you need to do so every time on engine start.

Wonder if they make a module that does it for you. Speaking of Corvettes, I know the old C5's had a performance setting for the stability system that would disable traction control, but leave active handling on. It would let you slip the tires more on launch and hard throttle, but would help keep the tail in line around corners. You have to hold the active handling button down for 5 seconds or so while stopped to engage it, but someone was saying they make a module you can plug into the OBDII that automatically turns it on whenever you start the car. Maybe someone makes something similar for start stop?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta believe that there will be a host of tuner-inspired flashes to the ecu available as this mandate becomes more pervasive. Or I certainly hope so. Start/stop would **** on a performance car.

NastyGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Definitely kills the red light racing LOL

The Hybrid Hype is a joke........As of 2010 the presidential motorcade is not Hybrid. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2010/04/obama-motorcade-not-going-hybrid/

Jan 2013 this was released about the "Beast"

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/ob...sine-beast-rolling-fortress-article-1.1244454

"The Beast swills a gallon of gas every 8 miles" Now thats a gas guzzler tax!

I do not support the regulations forcing this upon consumers. Especially when the government themselves are not using it.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think this also pretty much mandates direct injection to happen. Not sure it's quite as easy to employ on a non-diesel. I know the first time I was in a car with it I was rather confused. Went to Finland on business and my coworker (originally from there) was driving the rental car. I believe the way this particular car worked was you put it in neutral (was a stick shift), and when you let out on the clutch it shuts the engine down. When you clutch back in to put it in gear it fires back up, so as long as you never really do a neutral coast it wouldn't happen. I thought the car just died the first time. Not saying that all start stop functions this way, but might not really be a huge deal in the long run.

NastyGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think this also pretty much mandates direct injection to happen. Not sure it's quite as easy to employ on a non-diesel. I know the first time I was in a car with it I was rather confused. Went to Finland on business and my coworker (originally from there) was driving the rental car. I believe the way this particular car worked was you put it in neutral (was a stick shift), and when you let out on the clutch it shuts the engine down. When you clutch back in to put it in gear it fires back up, so as long as you never really do a neutral coast it wouldn't happen. I thought the car just died the first time. Not saying that all start stop functions this way, but might not really be a huge deal in the long run.

So did the AC shut off also? Id hope not........imagine stop and go traffic in the metroplex areas

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife's 13 benz has it, not a big deal. It's easily DISABLED with a single push of a button!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
So did the AC shut off also? Id hope not........imagine stop and go traffic in the metroplex areas

Wow, you know I never thought of that. There would probably be a decent amount of chill left in the evaporator, but any long wait (like some of the stupid stoplights around my town) could make things interesting. It was 50-70 degress the week I was over there, so I don't think we had it on for me to know.