Starting problem PLEASE help!!

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I get burned to bad I had the battery checked and it came back being good but bought another just to make sure that wasnt the problem. Well here is the problem;
While my car was idleing it just cut off, after towing it home i tried to start it a few times but it wouldnt fire up, now all i get is a starter click with no engine turnover at all, even if i try to jump it it will only click the starter. Im checking all the connections but would love to know of any ideas of things to check or to try. Thanks for your time and help in advance.

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its now 3:38 am and ive found the starter malfunction and it was the ground that the service guy left undone when i had the new tensioner put on. It now turns the motoer over but i have no spark. I pulled a plug and turned all the lights out as i tried to start the car but i didnt see any spark. Any ideas on this would be great. Thanks again everyone.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The coil packs are fused, and also run through the Automatic Shutdown Relay. Might check that out. Also, what if your ace service guy messed with the any of the sensors... TPS, cam, crank. Might check the visuals on those. Make sure they look OK and the wire connector is snapped tight.

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It could be IAC since it died at idle. Try pumping the gas while turning the key. I'm dealing with a similar issue at the moment.

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuel pump is coming on and after trying to start it I can smell fuel its just not getting any spark. I initially started this thread not because of the non firing problem but the starter issue so i didnt intentionally repeat a question. I also had the car running after the last post but not very long. I had dried out the vec and it started and ran for a while but then died again when i took it out for a short run to the store. So now im to the point that i took the vec off to see if that is the problem but i still have no spark and just need some ideas before i just go throwing money at new sensors and coilpacks if theres no need to. Also thanks again for the help ill check the sensors in a few minutes. Any other ideas are greatly apreciated as well.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cool, just wanted to make sure that peeps had All the info. some might have missed the other thread that included obd codes and such.

It'd be tough to diagnose a problem if you went to one mechanic and told him half the story, then another and told him the other half:confused:

Was the VEC actualy wet?

Can a FI car run without enginemanagement? wouldnt the stock ecu not send enough spark&fuel?

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually the vec didnt seem wet at all but it did start back up and run after i took the front plate off and blew air in it for a while. But then once i drove it about 5 miles and let it idle while i was at a store it just died again and wouldnt even try to fire up. Im not sure about a fi car running without the vec but i thought it only changed the tune of the car while driving and not the startup or power the coils got ( i could be very wrong about that ). I just thought maybe the heat had messed with the vec and that was the problem just because i thought if it was the coils or sensors that they would have went all the way bad the first time my car cut out on me and it wouldnt have ran again (but i could be wrong about that too).

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um, not sure exactly how the VEC wires in and piggybacks with the factory PCM, but unless you completely un-install the VEC, does not the factory PCM need the VEC to be completely healthy?

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just wanted to let everyone know that after taking the vec2 completely off that my car did start and run fine at idle. I know I cant drive it but at least I found the problem. Maybe not having the main engine ground burned the vec up or maybe the heat but now I have a vec3 on the way. Thanks again for all the help and efforts.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to look at your oil cooler lines.With that ground not hooked up it will ground through the oil cooler lines and melt them from the inside out.May cause a oil leak.