Stay Away from Lee Chrysler Dodge in Fort Waton Beach, FL

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay Away from Lee Chrysler Dodge in Fort Walton Beach, FL

This dealership is not honoring my 3yr-36K or Dodge extended warranty due to particular modifications THEY performed. Modifications they assured me wouldn't effect my initial or extended warranty. Long story short, they will not fix a mechanical door latch (which would be under warranty under normal circumstances) basically because of the supercharger that they installed. That's right, it doesn't make sense and I'll be glad to provide my phone number and explain the long and unbelievable story if you'd like to PM me. But once you've heard it, you won't believe they can get away with what they're doing. In addition, thank you Chuck Tator for the info and your advice!

Eric

Last edited:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there not a legal angle you can take here? Seems like you could win if they installed all the performance parts:dunno: especially if you have receipts that show them as installer and not noting about voided warranty:dunno:. Best of luck anyway man:2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is there not a legal angle you can take here? Seems like you could win if they installed all the performance parts:dunno: especially if you have receipts that show them as installer and not noting about voided warranty:dunno:. Best of luck anyway man:2tu:

Thanks to lobbying by SEMA and others years ago, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was passed as Federal law in 1975, to protect consumers from just such a ludicrous example as this: "Your aftermarket supercharger broke your OEM door latch"

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act - How the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act affects you

In brief, although the Magnuson-Moss Act was a law designed to protect consumers for any product worth over $25, it has become a large part of the automotive industry. We have all heard of stories in which dealerships have refused to honor a warranty because of modification to the vehicle. Under the Magnusson-Moss Act, a dealership or manufacturer cannot deny warranty coverage solely because the consumer has installed aftermarket parts.

This does not give enthusiasts or tuners an excuse to throw anything they want on the car. If the manufacturer or dealership determines the mechanical problem is fully or even partially due to an aftermarket part, they have the legal right to deny coverage or repair under the warranty. The purpose of the act, in regards to automobiles, is so manufacturers cannot require consumers to purchase the OEM parts. If you decide to use a Mobil 1 or Fram oil filter as opposed to the Chrysler oil filter, this is where the act will protect you by not voiding your warranty.

What this all means is that, although you can modify your vehicle with aftermarket parts, you should make sure you being smart about your modifications.

Moderators: The link above also has LEMON LAW info for all 50 states, and might be worth archiving for all the SOB (Some Other Brand) cars in our lives that need Lemon Law protection!

PS: Should'nt that be Ft Walton Beach? Home of HURLBURT FIELD? My first USAF TDY asssignment !

Last edited:

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try contacting the zone rep from dodge to complain and have them inspect the problem. An after thought--always have the dealer in WRITING assure you the vehicle is still under warranty. Good luck.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem with them, and Hill Kelly Dodge in Pensacola, FL and the sorry Dodge dealership in Foley, Alabama across the state line. They are three sorry Dodge dealerships and get away with this crap. Why is it that you can go to some of the well known dealerships spoken of here every day and they roll out the red carpet and treat Viper owners as valued customers and help with any warrenty work no matter what mods have been done and we get stuck with these SORRY Dealerships here in this area that look for any LITTLE mod to have an excuse NOT to honor own warrantys. Hill Kelly even would NOT honor my warranty on my NEW 06 VIPER with less then a 1000 mi on it because they said the factory rims on it were NOT factory rims???.( The same 5 stars that come on ALL red/white stripe 06 coupes.) THAT IS THE EXACT REASON I DECIDED TO SELL MY RSI TWIN TURBO 06. I don't feel I should have to send my Viper out of town to one of the GREAT dealerships I read about daily here on the forum to be able to have warranty work done. Now I have a 09 ACR and dread when I need ANY service from these pathetic dealerships here.( and NO, I cannot work on my own Viper like some of you do, I don't have the knowledge, tools, and I am handicapped. I have 5 fused vertibraes in my neck and 2 metal plates.) I also have 2 more that I refuse to have anymore surgery done on so I am very limited on movement, and lifting..) The only reason I mention this is because some owners always come back and say do it yourself. Believe me, I wished I could, I would be GLAD too. I am 62 yrs old, spent 24 months in the jungle in VietNam in the Marines in 66-67-68 and still I prefer to drive and own a car like our Vipers and enjoy life best I can. Sorry for dumping all this on you guys.....Lets Roll....:drive: :usa: :dunno:

OP
OP

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to lobbying by SEMA and others years ago, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was passed as Federal law in 1975, to protect consumers from just such a ludicrous example as this: "Your aftermarket supercharger broke your OEM door latch"

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act - How the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act affects you

In brief, although the Magnuson-Moss Act was a law designed to protect consumers for any product worth over $25, it has become a large part of the automotive industry. We have all heard of stories in which dealerships have refused to honor a warranty because of modification to the vehicle. Under the Magnusson-Moss Act, a dealership or manufacturer cannot deny warranty coverage solely because the consumer has installed aftermarket parts.

This does not give enthusiasts or tuners an excuse to throw anything they want on the car. If the manufacturer or dealership determines the mechanical problem is fully or even partially due to an aftermarket part, they have the legal right to deny coverage or repair under the warranty. The purpose of the act, in regards to automobiles, is so manufacturers cannot require consumers to purchase the OEM parts. If you decide to use a Mobil 1 or Fram oil filter as opposed to the Chrysler oil filter, this is where the act will protect you by not voiding your warranty.

What this all means is that, although you can modify your vehicle with aftermarket parts, you should make sure you being smart about your modifications.

Moderators: The link above also has LEMON LAW info for all 50 states, and might be worth archiving for all the SOB (Some Other Brand) cars in our lives that need Lemon Law protection!

PS: Should'nt that be Ft Walton Beach? Home of HURLBURT FIELD? My first USAF TDY asssignment !

Your right Jon, Ft Walton Beach and Hurlburt Fld. Beautiful area, but unfriendly to Viper owners because the "monopoly" of Viper techs in the area.

I read the Manguson Warranty Act (your link), but didn't see where it states "Whom" you should contact in the event of a dispute--the FTC? It's extremely vague and filled with legal stuff--with no clear direction as far as I could get from it.

As RoysViper stated (Whattup Roy) above, service and a little respect toward Viper owners is invisible around here. Even the service manager believes I've been handed an "injustice", but says his hands are tied. He is trying to consult with the District Manager to explain the situation and try to fund some of the warranty repairs. Because he even realizes the "warranty denial" doesn't pass the common sense test. But I doubt it'll get approval. They're not even sure who entered the "completely restricted" designation in the computer database. Chuck Tator claimed it had to be them (the dealership). I'm tired of fighting with them, but can't find (trust) anyone else to repair the Viper.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had an issue like this as well. Get a friend who is an attorney or someone who is an attorney to draw up a letter stating the complaint and threat to sue and they will rectify the issue 9 times out of 10 as they do not want to be sued. A good attorney will be able to cite the reason why their claim is invalid. Might cost you a few hundred bucks if you do not know an attorney but if the part is more expensive, might be worth it.

OP
OP

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As Chuck Tator stated, I may be right, but their multiple lawyers are bigger than my one lawyer at an eventual cost worth more than the repairs. Also, I have receipts showing they did the supercharger install, but naturally they're not (can't state) going to state, "We will still honor all repairs using your warranty". Plus, common sense should come in to play when your talking warrantying a door latch compaired to busted internal engine part. But after they designated the vehicle "completely restricted" without me knowing it back in Aug08 it voided ANY warranty repair--to include an unrelated door latch.

They even insinuated twice within the last month my extended warranty would cover the future door latch repair and 3 other reapirs I presented to them. When it was time for me to pick-up the vehicle after the repairs were done they then claimed the vehicle was not under warranty because it had been designated "completely restricted" back in Aug 08--and that'll be $2,500 please. Do you think I was P.O'd then?

OP
OP

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did a bit more research and found this from "Googling" the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The exerpt quotes, "Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.

Well, after reveiwing Dodge's 7/50 MAX Care Plan it states, "The following vehicles are not eligibe for the...service contract:...vehicles altered or converted from the original manufacturer's specifications...".

My question is, does the Max Care Plan language "clearly state" that ANY aftermarket equipment voids the warranty? Or do they mean vehicle PARTS that are altered or converted that you want repaired are not eligible. It sounds very vague and general like they're just trying to cover their a$$. By their languge you could conclude that if any part of the vehicle was altered or converted that would void the warranty. For example, if you altered the gears or the gas cap does that mean the whole vehicle (i.e.trunk latch) then becomes not eligible? I guess that's an answer for an expensive lawyer to answer. It sounds like the little guy is screwed again!

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you were lead on to believe you had warranty when knowing they had completely voided your warranty already and that is pathetic. You definitely got hosed on the deal.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may be that sometime when your Viper was in for service at a DC dealership a factory rep was present, noticed the supercharger, and red flagged your vehicle.

Most dealership want warranty work. They get paid to do it, and it can be a big chunk of their revenue. Do not know why an individual dealership would want to deny you warranty service that they would make money on.

Dodge used to be very generous with their warranty coverage with modified Vipers, but somewhere down the line that changed.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is an informative thread and we should have a seperate section for dealers to avoid and why.

Actually, Mark, that exact forum does exist, with strict and different posting rules, and this thread is POSTED in that forum !

Dealer/Viper Tech Reviews
Looking for a dealer or Viper Tech...wanna know what others have found? Please be aware that ALL messages are verified! If false information is posted you may be added to the "BAN list". All information is welcome, good and bad, but it MUST be accurate!

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are power in numbers...maybe we get 100 members to call and complain to the management about this all at the same time for say a hour...it would tie up their phone lines and maybe they would work something out...if they can't take calls it costs them money. We did this one time with an investor- we had 26 lines out and they had 22 lines in...everyone got put on hold until they gave up because their phones were ******* and the owner then took my call and fixed the problem. Childish yes-effective-double yes. :)

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, Mark, that exact forum does exist, with strict and different posting rules, and this thread is POSTED in that forum !

Dealer/Viper Tech Reviews
Looking for a dealer or Viper Tech...wanna know what others have found? Please be aware that ALL messages are verified! If false information is posted you may be added to the "BAN list". All information is welcome, good and bad, but it MUST be accurate!
Oops I never scrolled down that far too see that. Thanks. I just spent 5 minutes writing a great positive thread about a dealer and tech I like and guess what. Same ole thing the site has done before. When you click to submit, all of the sudden your NOT logged in and it did not show up. Certainly dont feel like doing it all over again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper