Stick with Mobil 1?

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of people like the factory-fill Mobil 1 and continue to use it along with the popular Mobil 1 filters. They had the oil at COSTCO the other day and you can find the filters here and there if you want to save some money and do it yourself. You can even make a set of wood ramps yourself for less than ten dollars worth of wood from Home Depot. Simple. And, you might want to think about changing the oil again in another 500 miles or so since these cars seem to have junk on the magnetic drain plug for the first two or three oil changes. Pete the ex glass-guy. :)

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a search for oil changes.
What i do is pick up 2; 5 qt containers of mobil 1 at walmart
around$18 each and a mobil 1 filter from autozone around $9
take it to my local 10 min oil place.
they change the oil with what i provide i get to watch what they do. in and out no headache.
cost $20 ( for labor and disposal)

total cost around $65

i have change my oil at 200,1500,3300,and before storage 4500
after storage will change again.
I can do it so often because it is alot cheaper than the dealership.
good luck
JIM
smile.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stick with Mobil 1.

How much is your time worth? Save $80 to $100 doing it yourself. Takes one to two hours when you include jacking the car up, change, let drain, take oil to recycle place, let the car down, clean up.

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. In my experience the 500 mi change was overkill -- concern for slugde and metal particles were unfounded when I changed my oil just shy of 600mi. I'd think that you can wait for a reasonable interval for your next one.

2. If you do change your own oil, you want to crack the oil filter, then spin it quickly off and let the filter drop. The objective is to get a good siphon to pull oil from the oil cooler, if not an amount of contaminated oil remains in the system.

Eric

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I changed my oil at 300 miles I found a small diamond shaped stamped piece of steel about an eighth of an inch long stuck to the magnetic drain plug. Cheap insurance and peace of mind, thats what I consider the early and frequent oil changes to be.

There was also some small magnitic particles stuck to the magnet as well on subsequent changes. FWIW. Oh, and yes I stick to Mobil One and Mobil One filters as well. Walmart 5 quart deals when I can find it and Mobil filters free with oil when the promo runs for a case of oil.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">A lower cost option on the oil filter is the Purolator "PURE ONE".

From what I'm told, made by the same manufacturer as the Mobil 1 filter, to the same specs and is about 50% of the cost of the Mobil 1.

Available at PEP Boys, Meijers, etc. @ $4.99 each. Correct part number is: PL14670. Also, for those that prefer paper air filters over K&N's, the part number for Vipers is A14837. (you'll need 2 of course)</FONT f>

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bring the Mobil 1 to the dealership, 18.00 each for two 5 qt containers from Wal Mart, they put the oil in and install a Mopar filter, total cost, dealer about $22.00, Wall Mart, $36.00, so for about $50.00, it's done right, and there is an official record of it on Chrylser's computer system! Change it every 3 months (I never get the 3000 miles in every three months anyway), one of them is before storage, then another right after storage.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My local Oil Express. Mobil 1 15-50 and Mobil 1 filter = $89 and I get to be king for 10 minutes. No ramps, no clean-up, no problems...

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I take my car to the local oil change place. They actually take care of the car better than the dealership does. They guys in there go nutts when they see the car and as long as I'm decent to them and don't act like a snob, I get the royal treatment with less than half the cost of the dealership. I get an oil change in 10-15 mins and the cost with Mobil 1 synth and a mobil 1 filter...under $45.00!!!

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once you get the hang of it you can change the oil faster than it takes to get down to the local jiffy lube. I don't even jack the car up, just drive it up on a ramp made from two 2x12s. You need long arms to do this. Best of all you know it is being done right.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When mobil 1 was introduced the advertising blurb included a strip down of a BMW 4 cyl engine with over 100K miles and no measureable wear (probably a first for a BM engine !!) Thats gotta say something for the oil even if they did say it themselves

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not used Mobil 1 since the first few month's of owning my 93 RT10. I use either Red-line or Royal Purple, the Mobile One filter, and do the change myself. Cost, around $45-50.

One trick that Illinois VCA VP Taught us: Put a plastic bag around the filter as you unscrew it. This keeps the oil from hitting the frame and other parts, and keeps the mess in the BAG! The other trick he showed us was to poke a hole in the old filter with a hole punch, and let it drain where you want it too. These methods both worked great, and made it much neater to do on your own.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96