Stock Gen V Dyno Pulls

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Earlier today

Dynojet 248

What is interesting is that on the 2nd and 3rd pull I was unable to deactivate the ECS as the
system had triggered a fault for "stability control". I had seen this before with my ZL-1 Camaro.

With the Viper though, it is clear in the 2nd and 3rd pulls that the ECU was pulling and maximizing
torque. Being new to this model Viper and no blogs that I could find, I ended the session as
the performance was being limited by the ECU somehow.

If anyone knows how to deactivate the ECS and stability control, please share with us the method.

With that said, the car made textbook power: 542 and 545 Rear Wheel Horsepower which is
exactly 15% less then 640 BHP. (15% is the standard drivetrain loss for manual transmission
cars....and actually some use 18% on cars with Half Shafts).

The OAT was 74 Degrees
The IAT was 95 Degrees
The Coolant temp was 169 on first pull and 185 on next 2
Pulls in 4th gear

After dynoing, moving the car forward 20 feet cleared the stability fault, exactly as it did in the
Camaro.

You must be registered for see images attach

****e...wouldnt let me upload the next pull sheet....said I have exceeded my quota by 25.7 pixels! ***??:omg:

On the 2nd and 3rd pulls the torque was up at 513 RWTQ but the graph showed a marked decrease at peak
then a climb again as if being limited by the ECU

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you turn off the traction control prior to doing the dyno pull, or try doing so after setting the code?

Numbers seem in line with what others have made. How many miles on the car?

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes,

Once it was running in neutral I held the ECS button 7 seconds to turn off ALL nannies....and the first
pull was a smooth graph and a "warm up"

When i started the engine for the second pull i noticed the Stability control failure in the center display
and then could not turn off the ECS. I had a SLR Mclaren and a SL 65 that would also do this...and
the cure was actually in the factory software in a setting known as "Dynometer Mode" which was
achieved by a series of button pushes on the steering wheel controls. I have not yet found this
on the Viper even though I was hoping there were a few residual secrets still employed by Dodge/SRT
through their past partnership.

Anyway, without being able to cure the stability failure while on the dyno (ECU sees the wheels moving
and the speedo climbing but does not sense the car accelerating) continued testing will be a moot event.
I will contact some folks I know at the OEM and see if they can shed some light on the issue or at least
point to a fuse combo that can be pulled, etc.

Car had 760 miles on it at the time of the pulls. And YES, I was pleased with the numbers....it performed
as advertised both Horsepower and Torque.

Tom

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom

Was your ESC light on during the first pull. Secondly, when I dyno'ed, the operator told me not to turn ESC off because that would set a code - that made no sense, but, qualified it by saying that was his experience with cars that had ESC?

You have come up with a good question, how does the factory dyno these cars?

Yes,

Once it was running in neutral I held the ECS button 7 seconds to turn off ALL nannies....and the first
pull was a smooth graph and a "warm up"

When i started the engine for the second pull i noticed the Stability control failure in the center display
and then could not turn off the ECS. I had a SLR Mclaren and a SL 65 that would also do this...and
the cure was actually in the factory software in a setting known as "Dynometer Mode" which was
achieved by a series of button pushes on the steering wheel controls. I have not yet found this
on the Viper even though I was hoping there were a few residual secrets still employed by Dodge/SRT
through their past partnership.

Anyway, without being able to cure the stability failure while on the dyno (ECU sees the wheels moving
and the speedo climbing but does not sense the car accelerating) continued testing will be a moot event.
I will contact some folks I know at the OEM and see if they can shed some light on the issue or at least
point to a fuse combo that can be pulled, etc.

Car had 760 miles on it at the time of the pulls. And YES, I was pleased with the numbers....it performed
as advertised both Horsepower and Torque.

Tom

rollymohan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
happens to me with my 300c srt8 and my solution was to not strap the car to tightly but allow all wheels to slightly move or **** forward and the stabilty control did not activate anymore

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting numbers. My bone stock 2009 SRT10 Coupe made the numbers in blue below on this exact same dyno a couple of years ago. The numbers in red were what my C6Z put down with an intake only. I overlaid them just to see the differences.

I don't understand why the new models are rated at 40hp more when it doesn't appear that they make any additional power over the 2008-2010 model years.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you know what the smoothing and correction factor were used in your graph?

Very interesting numbers. My bone stock 2009 SRT10 Coupe made the numbers in blue below on this exact same dyno a couple of years ago. The numbers in red were what my C6Z put down with an intake only. I overlaid them just to see the differences.

I don't understand why the new models are rated at 40hp more when it doesn't appear that they make any additional power over the 2008-2010 model years.

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is an SAE corrected graph, but I don't know the actual correction factor from that day. Same for smoothing.

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never seen the operator change the smoothing and I have been going to him for 12yrs now. I "want" to say it was on 5.

mtmclaughlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom

Was your ESC light on during the first pull. Secondly, when I dyno'ed, the operator told me not to turn ESC off because that would set a code - that made no sense, but, qualified it by saying that was his experience with cars that had ESC?

You have come up with a good question, how does the factory dyno these cars?

Manufacturers seem to conduct vehicle testing on chassis dynos that roll all four wheels now. I'm not sure if this is what they do with the Viper, but it would make sense. Engines are tested out of the car on their own dyno.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The vette smoothing looks like a 5, I would guess the viper is a 1 or 2. The diff is obvious. I have over 100 dyno pulls on three different cars. I could take the viper dyno file and make the same pull change 30 hp easily by changing the smoothing and the correction type. You can go to the Dynojet site and download the software. the next time you dyno ask for the native file and use it to play with the pulls, it is interesting.

I have never seen the operator change the smoothing and I have been going to him for 12yrs now. I "want" to say it was on 5.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang