Stock shift knob.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick question. Is the stock shift knob from a 95 the same as what is in my 96GTS? I know the threads are but is the knob itself the same?
Thanks!!!

OP
OP
daveg

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I believe I have the answer, (not %100 percent sure though) I believe they are the same from 92-98. I am thinking of buying one (black) but only if its MINT at a reasonable price. Thanks!

OP
OP
daveg

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I just found an old thread on this site from the Viper Wizard and he shows the part numbers as such and seems to indicate GENI and GENII are different part numbers.. Confused now....

GENI
Black #HD42LX9
Blue #HD42SB4
Red #HD42SR1

GENII
Black #SG081X9AA
Cognac #SG08WUCAA

OP
OP
daveg

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why on gods earth would you want the stock shifter? It's like 4" longer then a MGW short shifter, 1st mod on all my Vipers is the shifting handle.
I know what your saying and I agree but I want to keep my car 100% stock...To some it doesn't make sense but that's what I am after, I’m a purist.

Last edited:

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, but by track I meant a road race course not the 1/4 mile. I went the opposite route I modded the crap out of my 2000 Viper for road racing but kept my 1969 Corvette L71 stock. So stock that is it received an NCRS Top Flight award the first time out.

OP
OP
daveg

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, but by track I meant a road race course not the 1/4 mile.
I understand about the road course. Ya, when I bought the Viper, I vowed to myself it would stay exactly like Dodge made it, good or bad!!!
Congrats, as an owner of a 69 Corvette Convertible, I can appreciate the award your car received..
So I guess you can appreciate / understand what I am doing since you did the same thing with your Vette..
Good luck with your rides and most importantly, enjoy them!!!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand about the road course. Ya, when I bought the Viper, I vowed to myself it would stay exactly like Dodge made it, good or bad!!!
Congrats, as an owner of a 69 Corvette Convertible, I can appreciate the award your car received..
So I guess you can appreciate / understand what I am doing since you did the same thing with your Vette..
Good luck with your rides and most importantly, enjoy them!!!

Oh yeah I get it believe me :D I never mentioned my Corvette was a convertible but you are right it is. It's difficult to get a 45 year old car unmolested, I did my own 3 year resto on it so every # matched. Other then the L-88 it had the biggest engine at 427/435 and has a lot of options. So I completely get where you're coming from, what kind of 60s toys do you have/had? below is a shot of my Viper on the track and my Vette.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
daveg

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the Color of the Vette, very nice.
So what do I have, I have a 69 Vette Convertible that just turned 100,000 miles that I bought after high school in 1982,
I have a 66 Mustang convertible with 55,000 original miles (First car I ever bought / drove, bought it in 1977)
and I have a 100% original 1966 Mustang hard top with 23,000 original miles. I just took the original tires off the 66 Hardtop and put them in the rafters.. Below is a picture of the vette, not very good one but recent. Have also owned many 60's / early 70's Camaro z28's and Trans Ams. It was the 60's muscle cars that drove me to the Viper. Been drooling over them since 92 and when the 96 GTS came out, I vowed someday I would own one and pulled the trigger last July.. That's when I vowed I would only buy an original one and keep it that way.

Reaction score

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the Color of the Vette, very nice.
So what do I have, I have a 69 Vette Convertible that just turned 100,000 miles that I bought after high school in 1982,
I have a 66 Mustang convertible with 55,000 original miles (First car I ever bought / drove, bought it in 1977)
and I have a 100% original 1966 Mustang hard top with 23,000 original miles. I just took the original tires off the 66 Hardtop and put them in the rafters.. Below is a picture of the vette, not very good one but recent. Have also owned many 60's / early 70's Camaro z28's and Trans Ams. It was the 60's muscle cars that drove me to the Viper. Been drooling over them since 92 and when the 96 GTS came out, I vowed someday I would own one and pulled the trigger last July.. That's when I vowed I would only buy an original one and keep it that way.

Well it seems like great minds think alike :D I love the early 70s Firebirds, I had a '71 Firebird Esprit in my younger, poorer days. My g/f of 17 years has a Camaro RS and I am currently loooking for a '66 Mustang for her. Not a fastback or GT but just a classic looking Mustang preferably an "A" code. Growing up I always want a Cobra AC but when I was old enough I realized I couldn't afford it, then the Viper came out. I rented a '95 for a day and was blown away by it but was not too fond of the window curtains. The the Gen 2's came out I pulled the trigger in 2000.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad