Stone chips and PS 2's

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
While this has been fairly well covered in the SRT section as pertains to the paint on Gen IV Vipers, I would suggest that as more and more of the non-track folks replace the out-of-date tires on their Gen I's, II's, and III's with the wonderfully sticky PS 2's or Pilot Sport Cups
that this chipping issue will show it's ugly head. Be proactive, think ahead, and consider reading this thread carefully as there are solutions:

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/637506-stone-chipping-behind-wheels.html

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
No, Sir. Admittedly, I am watching this closely...noting that I am not a fan of permanent clear tapes/sheets/bras etc. for our own Vipers. Some folks love these products and are quite satisfied with the results, and I respect same. Time will tell at our house.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing that I've noticed is the paint on my old '97 GTS is a hundred times more chip resistant than the paint on my '09 ACR. I've driven my '97 for almost 14 years now, and I don't have a single stone chip on it. My ACR paint has a few chips already, and I haven't been driving my ACR anywhere nearly as 'spirited' as I drive my GTS. I think it has less to do with the tires than it does with the paint itself.

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Martin,

You are on the right track. I don't think the paint that they use on newer cars is as durable or tough as the paint from say 10 years ago. I think it all changed when they had to start using low VOC paint. For me being an installer of the clear bras it is good for business. Some of the new films go on the cars so nice that you can hardly tell it is even on the car. The kits that are available for the Vipers fit so perfect and the quality of the patterns and the film has greatly improved over the last 3-5 years.

From what I have seen this is not unique to the Vipers. I met people with 911's, Corvettes and Mustangs that are seeing the same problems.

I think the stone chips are a combination of 3 things at least for us that live in the colder climates.

1. Softer paint from the factory.
2. Newer and stickier tread compound that pick up the stones and sand blast the side of the car. I remember growing up and my dad always had Corvettes and I don't ever remember him changing the tires after 6-9,000 miles.
3. Here in Wisconsin they dump a ton of sand and salt on the roads every winter and even though some of it gets washed off by the rain a lot of it is still on the roads. I know the street we live on still has sand on it from the winter.

In my opinion it is cheap insurance for your paint. It is something you can put on your car and then drive it like it was designed to be driven and then 5-7 years down the road you pull the film off and your paint looks as good as it did when you put it on.

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Certainly agree with the paint experts above...things do seem to have changed...something that caught my eye as we added cars through the years. That said, I accept the OEM paint jobs as they stand since they are a done deal...which in not an acute change.

New to the mix for non Gen IV owners a the highly evolved types of sticky tires. The awakening will come when said folks add these new tires. My suggestion if for people to plan ahead for this...choose some type of protection (be is guards, flaps, or films)...and monitor the results. By the way, 14 mil "helicopter tape" is great stuff...said to protect from stone chips to 300 mph!!! :)

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Keep us updated as I'm on the fence about clear-bra too
Hey Pete, don't be on the fence about it. I have had my clearbra on for 3 years now with no regrets. I have taken some pieces off with no problems. No paint lifting off with it and no difference in paint color.
I also love the clear windshield protection I had installed. PM me and I'll give you the # to the guy I used in Great Neck. Awesome prices. Nothing close to what I've heard others have paid and still same quality product, installation, and service! :2tu:

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plumcrazy,

I too have seen some very bad work with the film. Most of the bad jobs I have seen are the ones that purchase the do it yourself kits or they use poor fitting patterns. I have a Venom red Viper and from 3' away you cannot tell that the car has film on it. Most people even after I tell them that it is on my car they still cannot see the film. The reason is that I used the best patterns on the market with a very high quality film and used proper installation techniques. Just about anyone can peel the film off the paper and apply it to the car and make it stick but it takes a well trained person to make it look good. It is just like painting a car. Just about anyone could pick up a can of paint and paint a car but a person that knows what they are doing can make it look great.

I have seen some very bad paint jobs as well, where the paint color does not match from the stock paint to the new paint. I would much prefer to preserve my stock paint. I also think the value of your Viper is greater with the stock paint on the car.

That is what is great about this country we all have choices.

Steve-Indy,

Do your homework and find a good install that does not use a razor on your car and you will not regret it one bit. If installed properly it is a great product.

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Mike...but no homework really necessary as I already know first class installers...to whom I frequently refer customers (who are subsequently quite pleased). Indy IS a car town!! :)

Simply put, for our personal cars, I PREFER a different course...not in an agrumentive way...just as a matter of choice.

Viperbass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I had posted in a previous thread about this, I am eagerly awaiting the carbon deflectors to be made for my Gen 2 GTS. I have seen these up close now and was very pleasantly surprised by how nice the fit and finish is with these.

I am extremely particular when it comes to after market pieces and how they fit the car and I will have no issues at all installing these on my sapphire GTS.

Bring them on, my new PS 2's arrive at the end of this week. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960