Straight stripes, or tapered? Ready to paint!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the look of the 'old' stripes on GenII Vipers, but I'm not sure how it will look on the SRT. I'm thinking about the tapered stripes as on the yellow raffle car, but so far no dimensions posted here. I'm ready to paint and would like opinions about color (white is my 1st choice so far, then silver, then black) and which type I should go with. Anyone who's already done stripes, please post some pics.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I will probably get a lot of slack for saying this, but I think you should go with the straight (regular stripes like on the GEN 2's) stripes. And paint them white! Just make the stripes a little wider by maybe an inch or so over the GEN 2 stripes.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care at all for any stripes on the SRT-10 or RT/10. They look great on the GTS and CC.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you can get away with the straight stripes as found on the Gen II's. Why? The way the hood is set up it would look a little strange. The inspiration should be the orginal GTS-R concept and the same stripes found on many Comp Coupes. One gentleman did black stripes on his red car that many thought were a bit too narrow in the front:

You must be registered for see images

I did some Photoshop work to fill them in and make them more like the Comp Coupe. I like it this way!

You must be registered for see images

Basically it is the straight stripes on the fascia and tapered on the hood. Hope this helps!

Chris

Ronald L. Cypher

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is my car that is shown. The stripes are actually wider than the GTS. It looks better in real life than this picture.

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, the second picture is nice! Look how the stripes bring out the detail in the hood scoop. I think that's the look I'm aiming for (still leaning towards white). Now if the raffle winner would post the dimensions of his factory stripes.....

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, the second picture is nice! Look how the stripes bring out the detail in the hood scoop. I think that's the look I'm aiming for (still leaning towards white). Now if the raffle winner would post the dimensions of his factory stripes.....

Last I heard the raffle winner hadn't even arranged to pick up the car yet. :rolleyes: I know that at least Wayne is enjoying his "free" ride (after taxes)! I hereby promise that if I EVER win a raffle for even a bag of popcorn I will share it with everybody and not shrug it off. Oh, and I think the yellow SRT is still at Viper HQ and perhaps you could persuade somebody there to measure the stripes.

And note to rcypher: As I said originally and will say again, I applaud you 100% for doing the stripes. Few of us have the brass to try it out in real life and instead try it in Photoshop. I think your car looks awesome in pictures and probably even more incredible in person (heck, all SRT-10's look better in person). My own personal preference was a slightly wider stripe in the front with a more narrow and consistent "gap" in between the two. I hope to see your car in person one day and personally shake your hand. Looks awesome!

Chris

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
White stripes on red look great, but I actually favor silver stripes. I really like the stripes on the Comp Coupe, but the key appealing feature to me is the relatively narrow and even spacing between the stripes on the Comp Coupe and DCX concept car.

-Dean.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of, what does it cost for one of those extreme Comp Coupe paint jobs? Those must be 20 grand. They are also some of the best looking race cars I have ever seen. Hate to scuff one though.

Chad

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sitting here at my desk looking at 6 different stripe pictures and I agree with Snakester. The space between the stripes on the GTSR concept tapers only below the front badge. The rest of the gap is even. The stripes themselves also do not taper from the hood forward. They are slightly angled to match the gap taper, but I think they are a consistant width. I have a paint shop ready to do the stripes this weekend! I wish the freakin raffle car would hurry up and get delivered!

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New idea: A single 8" straight silver stripe down the middle. I tried a sample (in vinyl) and took a picture. I'll post shortly....lemme know what you think.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not for me. So far I have not seen a SRT with stripes that looked right. The body lines just don't seem to lend themselves to stripes. Haven't seen the raffle car so that would be a possibility.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't like the look much.
It looks too narrow, and too plain.
The stripe style of the Comp Coupe is the one that I like best for the SRT-10 Viper.

-Dean.

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I did it. A single 8" white stripe straight up zee mittle! I was going to take some pictures today, but a rain soaked Viper ain't too pretty! Before I get a good pic, here's what the stripe did. The front and back of the car are transformed. All my early gripes about softer styling compared to the gen I&II cars are gone. (IMHO) The stripe makes the crosshairs of the grill stand out. The lowest section of the front airdam protrudes, which I NEVER saw before, and I've spent countless hours staring at this thing. The stripe also completely changes the back of the car. I always thought the air tunnels in the back were a great idea (to steal trunk space) but they looked almost invisible to me. Now the stripe breaks them apart, (lifts and separates?) makes them look darker and deeper and the splitter in the middle jumps out at you. The stripe also defines the trunk spoiler and it visually lengthens the whole car when viewed in profile. I am happy! Now if I could only get those dang decals for the side vents for a reasonable price.....pics soon

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks better than I thought it would, and quite sporty in those pics. :laugh:
But I still would have done dual-silver stripes if it were my car.

Enjoy,
-Dean.

coiled

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a definate improvement. I thought black would look better, but the white is awesome. I would like dual stripes, but to each his own.

It so hard to see the lines of the car and the stripe or stripes help break it up. Might want to consider painting you side and rear viper SRT-10 lettering white also, for that final touch.

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. That's a really good idea to have white lettering! I wonder if the white '04 SRT has white letters?? I'll order some if available. I seriously considered the double stripes, but I just couldn't get them to look right with the hood bulge being curved. The other major issue is the center divider of the front grill is so much wider than the GenI&II, the spacing looked odd. I'm glad I tried the vinyl before the paint. Sometimes it's good that I have new ideas, sometimes it's not. Here's a new one: The shop used blue masking tape. While we were removing the tape, I thought the red/white and blue looked stunning and patriotic. I was thinking that a thin blue pinstripe on each side of the white might be worth trying, others say it would be too much. I already have two American flags on the back of the car.....

coiled

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The white lettering will be available sometime in the future, but what are the chances of the paint colors matching. I would just buy another set of lettering for you car and use the same paint or paint code that was used for the stripe, that way you have a perfect match.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine