Street Serpent #5

flexcalibur

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As the owner of a Yellow vert, I'm anxiously awaiting the outcome.

I'm debating between the serpent for my 05 and some UR perfomance mods, or the ACR.

If the 75 hp package becomes a reality for the ACR it is going to be a tougher descision.

Awesome work Jeff!

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is one of the coolest part of Rick's Street Serpent (his idea by the way) is taking advantage of the comp coupe front fascia dimensions and using an actual comp coupe splitter.

I'm not completely finished with the mounting but I figured I'd show some pics for the weekend. Although I don't envy his everyday road driving with this thing, I completely love the look.

The arrow is my fun little ha ha.

1210.JPG

138.JPG

143.JPG

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also,

I was not completely satisfied with the manner in which the upper cable supports mount to the bumper reinforcement. With a splitter this big, we've decided to build some beefier upper arms and bolt them directly to the frame rail. I'll show pics once they're fabricated.

Another tid bit that I've failed to mention is that this car has a carbon fiber front fascia (7 lb savings) to help compensate for the weight of the added components. With the lighter hood and decklid, this car should weight in a few pounds lighter than stock.

Jeff

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing my car like that...

Since you have a picture.. I am not sure if I like it...

I would probably have to see a couple different views.......

I would try to get the a bunch of the ACR photos.. photoshoped....

JOe

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking good! The new 2 tone ACR paint scheme has got me thinking about what color I want to paint mine. What do you think of this?
yellowacr.jpg

I think it looks great! And I also strongly prefer the gloss rather than satin black. It is a very good bet you will see yellow offered as a color in the future for the Viper. Maybe a VCA edition or 2009 model year color?

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just found this thread! the car is looking great! and i really liked the way you documented evey nut and bolt. i did that with my race car and it was well worth it. your car will go together fast and painless.

keep us posted!

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, quick post before I leave work. Tomorrow there should be alot to show.

For whatever reason, I have this hang up on body gaps and I feel the factory versions are to large. I like them tight and flush. This first pic is an example of the gap at factory spec and were going to cut it in half.

g3.JPG

These are the basic factory style shims that we'll be using to to tighten most gap situations. Some, like the fender to door gap, are handled a bit differnent but we'll get to that later.

g2_3_.JPG

First, we hot glue all the shims into place to achive our desired gap width. This helps to lock down dimensions because all panels will eventually be removed for paint, and shims will keep location.

g2.JPG

Here is what we're after:

g4.JPG

Also,

Back when I did my car, I would raise and lower the car on the hoist, set it on it's wheels, etc. Due to the flexing of the frame, I expected these gaps to change to a certain degree. THEY DON'T. This is one stiff frame, and I'm quite confident the tighter gaps will not have any sort of rubbing problem (they're not THAT close, just closer). I've put over 7000 miles on my Street Serpent since assembly and the gaps are exacly where I put them. No movement, so confidence is high.

Jeff

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, quick post before I leave work. Tomorrow there should be alot to show.

Here is what we're after:

g4.JPG

Jeff

Wow Jeff,

Congratulations!

This is the way the body gaps should look! :2tu:

Much cleaner this way.

How many hours do you estimate it will take a competent person to do the Street Serpent conversion and get the project ready for paint?

Phil

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Jeff,

Congratulations!

This is the way the body gaps should look! :2tu:

Much cleaner this way.

How many hours do you estimate it will take a competent person to do the Street Serpent conversion and get the project ready for paint?

Phil

Phil,

Right now I'm not exactly sure. I'll be adding up the hours on this project and let you know. So far, It seems like I've barely worked on it and things are moving fast. Everything is going smooth at this point without any real hang ups. My advantage is I've done this twice before, so I've pretty much got it figured out.

Jeff

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For widening the track, a 3/4" wheel spacer is used just like the comp coupe. It is VERY dangerous to use this spacer without putting in the proper (longer) lug bolts so the lug nuts have plenty of thread to properly install the wheel.

b1.JPG

b21.JPG

First, the caliper and rotor are removed. At this point there is easy access to the bearing assembly bolts and it is easily removed.

b3.JPG

The old lug bolts are pressed out and the new ones are installed using a lug nut, wrench and spacer.

b41.JPG

b5.JPG

b6.JPG

All components reassmbled:

b7.JPG

The car now has a 1.5" wider track dimension.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the regular updates Jeff.
I've always liked your Street Serpent package, and it's a real treat to watch it come together like this.:2tu:

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks.

Here are some parting shots for the Thanksgiving weekend. The car now has all panels installed in basic form. They are only attached with a few bolts per panel at this stage. Next week we'll start attaching things like latches, wheel wells and bolting it together 100 percent. Then its on to sanding and precision fitment.

It always bums me out that the photos cannot capture some of the really cool lines of this new body. I try real hard to pick up the flare at the quarter panel but you can only really notice it in person. Oh we'll, I guess it will make it more fun when you actually get to see one.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Jeff

th2.JPG

th3.JPG

th4.JPG

th1.JPG

th5.JPG

DDlesk06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just found this thread... truly superb! Love the amount of detail spent into updating us all. Thanks! :eater:

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your crusin right along looks good, & i've been waiting for 9 months to find someone to paint my Comp Coupe.

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

Are you going to be the one who sprays the paint on the car??

That's only problem I have... I don't have anybody who's reliable that can paint the car...

We are definitely going to hav eto talk in 2008...

Joe

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

Are you going to be the one who sprays the paint on the car??

That's only problem I have... I don't have anybody who's reliable that can paint the car...

We are definitely going to hav eto talk in 2008...

Joe

Yes, I'll be painting it. I'll be showing a step by step on how we do that as well.

Jeff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave