Striker heads/cam VERY happy

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not got the car to the Dyno yet, but the car is a monster on the street.

The 355/25R19's are totaly usless in 1st and 2nd gear (3.55 gears) in 1st as soon as you floor it you are banging the rev limitor, but get this puppy into 3rd and hold on.

I'm not a person easly impressed, I own a 9 second Dodge stealth race car (9.73@151mph on 18" BFG drags), and a few 10 second street cars. But the heads/cam/headers/exhaust/Alum flywheel/UD pulleys have turned this car from what I thought was a total pig to a truly fun car to drive.

I dont like to bench race but this car feels to me like a 131-132 mph 1/4 mile car (here at 3700ft). Thats dam impressive for a N/A car up here.

Jef you did a grate Job with your Striker head castings!

PS I had Jef shave the heads down to 66cc, giving me 11.1 to 1 comp.

Matt Monett
2001 GTS

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Matt Monett... wow, thats a name I havent seen in a long time!

I jumped into ViperVille from the 3KGT crowd not too long after you did Matt, you may remember a blast from the past as VR4SL... I havent gone by that username in a LONG time.

Glad to hear you like the Strykers!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's really amazing how well those heads work. What impressed me the most was the increase in torque across the board. Anyone with any kind of motor building experience knows that there is always a shift in the torque curve. Bigger cam means soggy bottom end, not with this package. Wait until you get it properly tuned on the dyno, congratulations!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let us know when you have the "before and after" dyno charts. Many of us are looking for a set of good heads and would be interrested of the numbers.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Redenuf
What are you looking for.... Sorry, it's early and I didn't see all the words in the sentence.......

OP
OP
F

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt Monett... wow, thats a name I havent seen in a long time!

I jumped into ViperVille from the 3KGT crowd not too long after you did Matt, you may remember a blast from the past as VR4SL... I havent gone by that username in a LONG time.

Glad to hear you like the Strykers!

Funny how many EX 3000gt/stealth guys I bump into on other boards, I'm still racing/building them. I'm hopping to get into the 8's this yr. I ran that 9.73@151mph last yr at 30psi on a stock 3.0L short block, This yr I have a 3.54L stroker, my 1st trip to the track netted me 10.1@141 at 14psi of boost on my 1st pass, 9.78@147 at 16psi of boost on my 2nd pass and a snapped rear axle on my 3rd pass at 21psi. (i'm running on 4 DOT Slicks this yr)

That your White SRT-10 in your avatar? Man those look good in White.

Ya the Striker heads were a hard choice for me, I had planned on porting some stock castings. After talking to Jeff about the changes in his castings and the ability to get the compression up to over 11 to 1 I was sold. Because with the stock castings you have got to unshrode the valves ALOT to get them to flow good with larger valves even shaving them super thin you are at best going to get ~69cc chambers. And what’s really amazing to me is how mild mannered his street cam is. Tell you the truth I would not mind it being a little more lumpy. I should have asked if he could have ground it on a 112 lsa vs the 114...:)

Now I got to decide if I want to spray it or not.

Last edited:

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
600rwhp would be impressive with a heads/cam car. I have usually seen numbers in the 530-550rwhp range for heads/cam only.

Get that pig to a dyno :)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Funny how many EX 3000gt/stealth guys I bump into on other boards, I'm still racing/building them. I'm hopping to get into the 8's this yr. I ran that 9.73@151mph last yr at 30psi on a stock 3.0L short block, This yr I have a 3.54L stroker, my 1st trip to the track netted me 10.1@141 at 14psi of boost on my 1st pass, 9.78@147 at 16psi of boost on my 2nd pass and a snapped rear axle on my 3rd pass at 21psi. (i'm running on 4 DOT Slicks this yr)

That your White SRT-10 in your avatar? Man those look good in White.

Yep, I run into 3S guys all the time in the Viper club, many of them old customers of mine back when I sold used 3000GT parts. Kinda cool how so many of them took the same road.

Yes, thats my SRT in the picture. More photos on my website, www.ViperSpecialtyPerformance.com/ccsrt.asp

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It'll be over 600, no problem. I hit 580 with cats an untouched intake, fuel system and a full point less compression.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Redenuf
What are you looking for.... Sorry, it's early and I didn't see all the words in the sentence.......

I'm looking for a dyno chart.

This way I can compare my choise between different heads, like Stryker, Greg's etc... It's a big chunk of money for me and I want to get the cam and heads right first time. Been there, done that, with Corvettes I had some mismatches that did not produce what I tought they would. Since then, I do more homework and buy less similar items.:D

Reaction score
I have not got the car to the Dyno yet, but the car is a monster on the street.

The 355/25R19's are totaly usless in 1st and 2nd gear (3.55 gears) in 1st as soon as you floor it you are banging the rev limitor, but get this puppy into 3rd and hold on.

I'm not a person easly impressed, I own a 9 second Dodge stealth race car (9.73@151mph on 18" BFG drags), and a few 10 second street cars. But the heads/cam/headers/exhaust/Alum flywheel/UD pulleys have turned this car from what I thought was a total pig to a truly fun car to drive.

I dont like to bench race but this car feels to me like a 131-132 mph 1/4 mile car (here at 3700ft). Thats dam impressive for a N/A car up here.

Jef you did a grate Job with your Striker head castings!

PS I had Jef shave the heads down to 66cc, giving me 11.1 to 1 comp.

Matt Monett
2001 GTS

Congrats!! those heads are the best PERIOD! That is all we use on the big TT cars. Huge power over all others. :headbang:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a website for Striker or anywhere to get more info on them?

jmcylinderheads.com

If you want to see close up pictures of the heads and my dyno sheet, you can look up my build process with the search button. "What's up in my garage" and "Finally got it tuned @ DC Performance" , although the "search" feature did not work correctly for me. You will have to scroll down a few pages to find these threads. I have a sound file with these heads as well as detailed pic's which you will not find at Jeff's website.

I've also spent a whole lot money for minimal results with aftermarket Chevrolet parts (cylinder heads, cams, etc.). Without sounding like an ad for JM, my car made 200 crankshaft hp and exactly 150 rwhp more with just a head and cam change! It was also a really big deal for me to spend that much money on heads. Figure at least $10,000 to do the swap if your car is stock. That's doing it yourself, with no labor costs except tuning.

I will be re-dynoing mine in the next week or so and expect to be at 600 this time with a minor exhaust improvement, we'll see.

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
600rwhp would be impressive with a heads/cam car. I have usually seen numbers in the 530-550rwhp range for heads/cam only.

Get that pig to a dyno :)

My Viper made 545 with the stock cam and Striker heads,
it s back at DC Performance getting the Striker cam now.. :drive:

vprtech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for a dyno chart.

This way I can compare my choise between different heads, like Stryker, Greg's etc... It's a big chunk of money for me and I want to get the cam and heads right first time. Been there, done that, with Corvettes I had some mismatches that did not produce what I tought they would. Since then, I do more homework and buy less similar items.:D

One thing to point out, that IMO makes that Striker heads the only ported heads to consider, is how much they affect the engine cooling efficiency. We've been working of these cars for over fifteen years, this is the ONLY mod I've seen, that dramatically lowers the engine operating temp.

- Chris

www.dcperformance.com

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to point out, that IMO makes that Striker heads the only ported heads to consider, is how much they affect the engine cooling efficiency. We've been working of these cars for over fifteen years, this is the ONLY mod I've seen, that dramatically lowers the engine operating temp.

- Chris

www.dcperformance.com

"Please" get Back to work on My Car Chris... :clap: :Big Grin:

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

- Chris
http://www.dcperformance.com

Just to clarify - the striker heads are NOT ported. They are a new casting . they are CNC machined. One can get striker heads ported. and if one has high air flow demands then one should. but comparing strikers to ported stock heads is like comparing apples to orange juice.

So in order of benefit (also in order of cost from least to most):

1. stock heads - as they come from the factory
2. stock heads ported by a generic head porter
3. stock heads ported by a specialty head porter such as greg good
4. striker heads - as they come from JMCH
5. striker heads ported by a generic head porter
6. striker heads ported by a specialty head porter such as greg good

Note that #4 always costs more than #3, but that #3 sometimes outflows #4... but they close. So it isn't unreasonable to swap #4 and #3 above.

my .02...

JD

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joseph, i wanna see what greg good can do to a set of the strikers on YOUR car

I'm sure i will someday. i just don't have a need to take the car apart right now. When I do, though, i'll be pulling those puppies and sending them to Greg. Maybe in the winter just to refresh stuff. It doesn't take long but I do need the space...

JD

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah,

And you'll need valve cover spacers too .....