Stripes on an RT/10?

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thinking about adding the vinyl stripes, just to make it different. A few qxs. For Gen II (98 RT/10) were any factory painted with stripes? Specifically, are there 98 Silver RTs with factory stripes? What color striping?

For those who've done this, were you happy with the vinyl stripes? Did you run them across the hard top too? What about around the license plate area? Best brand of vinyl stripes to use? Any caveats?

Thanks in advance!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only facotry stiped RT/10s are as follows:

1996 RT's came with the narrow dagger type stripes - they didn't extend onto the front or rear fascias but came to a point on the hood and trunk. White has blue, black has silver, and red has yellow(?)

Then 53 blue and white striped RTs were produced in 1997 and those stripes mimicked the GTS - a full 8" wide and extending down through both fascias.

I striped Henry's race car. It's not an easy job - especially if you want to do the front and rear fascia and the license plate area is a major PITA. The Viper has a lot more curves than you think and when you are working with 8" wide pieces of vinyl, they do not have a lot of give. Doing the crosshairs on the front fascia and the rear fascia require cutting stripes because you can't get them to curve like you need. Getting them all on straight and evenly spaced is a challenge and takes a lot of time and patience. If you can find someone experienced - pay them.

OP
OP
A

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Janni and Adam. Found a couple good threads in a search just now. Question, what do you think would look better on silver, blue, black, or charcoal grey? I'm thinking blue (isn't that what DC puts on Gen II silver GTS?)

Definitely find a pro to do it. Any good stripers in Raleigh, Janni? (Need to get a little paint work done at Kenny's anyway...)

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I say steel gray stripes first, second choice would be blue.

4780MVC-005F-med.JPG

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, stripe it! I also put vinyl on and just what others have said, it is a PITA to go around the front fascia. I liked it so much that I had mine painted on and it was worth every penny spent. I would go with blue.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have painted striped before and it's TONS easier.

Don't know of a good vinyl person - there's someone in VA/MD that does a good job, posts here but can't remember who.

Takes about 4-5 hours to prep for paint stripes (much easier using the thin masking tape) and then 3 or 4 to paint and clear. Finding someone to do it is another story - we did it on a Saturday at a friend's shop (not Kenny)

Reaction score

Don't know of a good vinyl person - there's someone in VA/MD that does a good job, posts here but can't remember who.

Takes about 4-5 hours to prep for paint stripes (much easier using the thin masking tape) and then 3 or 4 to paint and clear. Finding someone to do it is another story - we did it on a Saturday at a friend's shop (not Kenny)

That would be 1MEANSNAKE. :) TGIAF!! :)

OP
OP
A

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

That would be 1MEANSNAKE. :) TGIAF!! :)

He's pretty close to Heffner isn't he? Maybe I could do the stripes and twin-turbo at the same time? :2tu: :2tu:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the stripes as they really enhance the Viper's racey looks. :2tu:

For a silver Viper I'd pick blue first because it was a factory combination (and looks good). :cool:
And for my second choice I'd pick charcoal stripes.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned a non-stripped and currently own a stripped RT-10.

Do vinyl first.

The stripes really cut up the RT. They take away from the low wide look from the rear end.

I bought this RT with stripes, thinking I liked it after having an RT without stripes. Wrong! If this cars stripes weren't painted I'd remove them in a heartbeat.

You need to have two Rt's, the same color, one with stripes and one without. Have them sitting about 10 feet apart and look at them from the rear end. The stripped one will not look near as wide and low as the one without stripes. Stripes kill the wide exotic stance of the RT.

GTS ='s stripes, RT-10 ='s no stripes.

OP
OP
A

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting observation, BV. Wonder if any other RT owners regret striping their snakes? I also notice your stripes (in your photo) don't continue through the license plate area. Did you remove that portion to try to restore some of the low, wide look? In Snakester's gallery there are some shots from the rear and I can see a little bit what you mean, but still think I might like it.
Also, would adding a spoiler and striping that too maintain more of a GTS look? Don't really want a spoiler, but just want to consider everything... [image]http://gallery.viperclub.org/showphoto.php/photo/704/sort/1/cat/all/page/3[/image]

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
No regrets at all, top on or off, but then again that is what I like and would never own it any other way. In other words, do what you like, you will find just as many for as against. I dont view the Viper as an exotic car but more of a "Bad ASP Street Legal Race Car" that is very unique and the stripes fit !

6786207101_0126-med.jpg

check out the rest of my gallery and you can see how the licnese plate and top were done from more close ups. Either way .......Good Luck

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting observation, BV. Wonder if any other RT owners regret striping their snakes? I also notice your stripes (in your photo) don't continue through the license plate area. Did you remove that portion to try to restore some of the low, wide look?

I didn't try to change anything. That is the way it came, I bought it that way. It came from a dealership called Fitzgerald, it was new when bought from there. Fitzgerald painted it and planned and driving it himself, but a local here bought it before Fitzgerald ever drove it.

I also owned a GTS at the same time and I thought, a striped GTS and a striped RT would be cool. I liked it when I bought it, then I had it sitting next to a non-stripped RT of a friend, then I realized how it cut up the car looked with stripes.

It's not horrible, I don't hate it, it just clearly does not look as wide or as low as a solid colored RT. (you need them, one painted, one not, sitting side by side 10 feet apart to see what I mean, photo's won't do it)

If I had the money or any excuse to re-paint the car, I would go back solid no stripes, no question.

Love stripes on a GTS. Have no problem with stripes on someone else's RT.

I also think if the stripes put on an RT were 1-1/2" to 2" wider than the factory size I think it would help widen the look of the car with stripes.

Just my .02 about my own car.