Strongly considering purchasing a 70k mile gen I

VIPERVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello guys,
Im just looking for feedback if there is anything I should be looking for on a 70k mile gen I. I feel like its a great car to just drive and have fun in without the worries of a museum quality ride. Just am unsure of any potential issues that I should anticipate. Car seems to cold start fine in after sitting outside for a month in 45f temp as expected. A little squeal from the belt but considering its been sitting out. Im thinking thats expected?

any help would be great thank you.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think the biggest thing is just what you are willing to accept and what you really want. I had very similar interests to you when I bought my car. I knew i was going to drive it all the time, so I didn't mind something with a few cosmetic issues. As far as the cars themselves, they are pretty bulletproof as long as they have some basic routine maintenance done. Keep the fluids fresh and keep good tires on it and for the most part I don't think you need to worry about them much. Gen 1 issues that I've heard of are a questionable power steering pump bracket (and maybe cap as well), and old paper style head gaskets that like to weep over time if they aren't used regularly. With 70k on the clock though it sounds like the car you are looking at was regularly exercised, which I personally think is better for a car than one that has sat for years and years with barely a tank of gas through it.

A good inspection from someone that knows cars well (even better if they are a Viper tech) is always a good idea as well. The early cars are pretty simple machines and really almost closer to a kit car or race car in a way based on how they were built. There's nothing wildly complex about them and they were basically kind of like parts bin specials. Body condition would probably be the biggest concern as those parts are hard to find and can be quite expensive. There are a few mechanical pieces that are getting harder to find, but nothing too bad that I'm aware of right now.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hello guys,
Im just looking for feedback if there is anything I should be looking for on a 70k mile gen I.

any help would be great thank you.
Map Has it pretty much nailed. Gen 1 has a WIDE variance of values..... 92 and 96 are the highest values. Some colors are more desirable to some buyers than red. 70K miles I suspect the head gaskets WERE changed....examine the head-to-block seam for a thin metal gasket layer = updated gaskets. IF you smell hot coolant, the gaskets are weeping, and coolant-tracks may be visible at that seam.

OE Fuel Pump is almost unobtanium. Does the car start right up after sitting hours? Or require several key-cycles? Common problem involving pump module. Annoying.

GOOD LUCK ~~~:<~ [email protected]

OP
OP
V

VIPERVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is a 95 sorry I left that out.. Does not fire up with a flick of the key like chevy bbc products I've owned before. It takes a second or two. After having a chance to drive it today. It was nostalgic but I think I might be being to cheap and am now considering just investing another 20k for a newer or better maintained unit they exist.... considering the dealer was a **** about the car.. after running letting it warm up it was low on oil.. they didn't service it at all.... kinda nervous about it being mistreated. understanding the dealer bought it at auction and just dropped it on the lot... I attached a picture the dealer is asking 36k.. I thought it was a pretty solid deal. Not perfect at all cosmetically rubber gasket on aftermarket top was falling/hanging off after a drive.. I'm now considering if I want something so this raw and kit caresque. Do you guys think I'm being too nit picky for the asking?... the car did shift fine, a/c and heat worked instantly. And the brakes are a joke.... but if I'm correct that's part of the thrill... I practically had to stand on the pedal to stop it....lol..

I'm new to the viper community but I do really appreciate the feedback.. thanks again

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211214-215726_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20211214-215726_YouTube.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 20

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Gen 1 brakes aren't really the best thing out there, so probably nothing all that off with the braking system. My mom's 94 at least has similar braking traits. Maybe it just has the same problem, lol.

As for the rest, ultimately it's up to you to decide what you think it's worth. Prices are going to vary all over the country and even just by the time of the year. A gen 1 is going to be a pretty basic and raw car though. The gen 2 did start to get some more creature comforts and feel more like a traditional vehicle, but still had some of the more basic aspects to it as well. The gen 3 was really leaps about bounds an upgrade in my eyes, but the style can be polarizing to some. I absolutely love my 04, but my mom's 94 really has some charms too and it's always fun to take it for a drive as well. Mine is more of a go to vehicle that I would take pretty much anywhere though as it is much more weather capable due to having a real top and windows (not a problem with a gen 2 coupe I suppose).

$36k for a gen 1 with 70k miles does kind of feel a tad high just in my personal opinion, but prices have also been going up and up lately and my head hasn't really adjusted to them or really kept track as I don't regularly check for sale ads. Not that long ago mid 30s would get you into gen 3 territory, so functionally speaking a far superior car, but everyone wants things for different reasons and I understand the original styling is a big one that people really desire. Heck, I bought a Viper as a daily driver instead of something "practical" because that's just what I wanted and was willing to put up with, but it's been a great car and I've done some really fun things with it and met some great people because of it.

Siciliano15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is a 95 sorry I left that out.. Does not fire up with a flick of the key like chevy bbc products I've owned before. It takes a second or two. After having a chance to drive it today. It was nostalgic but I think I might be being to cheap and am now considering just investing another 20k for a newer or better maintained unit they exist.... considering the dealer was a **** about the car.. after running letting it warm up it was low on oil.. they didn't service it at all.... kinda nervous about it being mistreated. understanding the dealer bought it at auction and just dropped it on the lot... I attached a picture the dealer is asking 36k.. I thought it was a pretty solid deal. Not perfect at all cosmetically rubber gasket on aftermarket top was falling/hanging off after a drive.. I'm now considering if I want something so this raw and kit caresque. Do you guys think I'm being too nit picky for the asking?... the car did shift fine, a/c and heat worked instantly. And the brakes are a joke.... but if I'm correct that's part of the thrill... I practically had to stand on the pedal to stop it....lol..

I'm new to the viper community but I do really appreciate the feedback.. thanks again
love the color combo!