Sumner driving in viper AZ

JB Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone with a viper drive their's in the summer in AZ? I heard the AC has trouble keeping up and it is not recommend to drive it unless you want to be dripping with sweat.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should have cranked it up for you yesterday to give you an idea, my bad.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Earliest Vipers had no ac. Every year the cooling for the engines and the passengers have improved.

In Gen 3 Verts, the ac worked great, however the heat coming from the engine vents sent hot air streaming around the windshield cowling and into the passenger compartment with the to down. The Gen IV improved hood vent made this more of a non issue.

In Gen II Vipers the ac was strong enough to keep the compartment cool, but not really strong enough to cool down an already hot compartment (from sitting out in the sun). They also featured the famous "crotch coolers" where the passenger could get a refreshing and cooling blast of air into their laps. The Gen II's had a system to turn off the ac completely when heavy throttle was applied. Power was diverted from the ac so that full power was directed to the rear wheels. This sent a warm or hot blast of air into the compartment until the throttle was dialed back.

Gen IV has ac strong enough to rapidly cool off a hot compartment, or provide enough cool air, even with the top down. It does not need to be running full blast, and is perhaps the first Viper that routinly runs with the fan turned down, and the temp knob a couple clicks from full cool.

So as with so many things concerning Vipers…the year matters. (credits to Jon B).

OP
OP
J

JB Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem I spoke with someone else at the car show on Saturday and he was telling me that he only drives it at night in the summer. Unless he wants to end up dripping in sweat. Sooo.. that may not work for me if all the gen II are this way.

I may be considering a gen III coupe now. But I still have some more research to do.

OP
OP
J

JB Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good info thank you. Are familiar with the GEN III coupe and how the AC works in 100 degree plus weather? I live in AZ and want to be able to drive it year round.

Thanks

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had a couple hot days last summer (100+) that I drove the Viper in, I had AC on with no issues. Although I have to admit, most of the time I just roll the windows down.

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '03 Gen III Convertible. (Well, guess they were All verts that year:) In the summertime in Dallas, let's just say it gets a little warm:) I do all my driving on weekends and try to drive in the early mornings in the summertime as even late pm is hotter than .......... Even on the hottest days, my A/C seems to work ok--for awhile. After about 45 minutes or so, at 100+F, it does start to lose its' efficiency in keeping me cold. I go from pulling outside air, to 'max' and recirculating the cold air. Between the heat and the wonderful cross-overs right below my seat ---It does get hot.

On the bright side, the opposite effect is nice in wintertime. I think what you're asking or trying to understand is 'is the Viper's A/C so inefficient' that you would not purchase a Viper?" That's easy to answer, NO WAY it should stop you. Saw a few of them in Scottsdale last time I was out your way. I absolutely love my Viper and honestly, the A/C in it cools better / works better than what I was told 'prior' to purchasing the vehicle. That's a lot of heat being generated by the V10. Besides, who rides with the top up anyway...

OP
OP
J

JB Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '03 Gen III Convertible. (Well, guess they were All verts that year:) In the summertime in Dallas, let's just say it gets a little warm:) I do all my driving on weekends and try to drive in the early mornings in the summertime as even late pm is hotter than .......... Even on the hottest days, my A/C seems to work ok--for awhile. After about 45 minutes or so, at 100+F, it does start to lose its' efficiency in keeping me cold. I go from pulling outside air, to 'max' and recirculating the cold air. Between the heat and the wonderful cross-overs right below my seat ---It does get hot.

On the bright side, the opposite effect is nice in wintertime. I think what you're asking or trying to understand is 'is the Viper's A/C so inefficient' that you would not purchase a Viper?" That's easy to answer, NO WAY it should stop you. Saw a few of them in Scottsdale last time I was out your way. I absolutely love my Viper and honestly, the A/C in it cools better / works better than what I was told 'prior' to purchasing the vehicle. That's a lot of heat being generated by the V10. Besides, who rides with the top up anyway...

Yes, I do want to make sure it's efficient enough. I guess it will help that I only have a 10 min drive to work and I have covered parking at work which will help me out. I just want to make sure that if I am going to spend 45K + for a car I get to drive it a lot!

OP
OP
J

JB Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had a couple hot days last summer (100+) that I drove the Viper in, I had AC on with no issues. Although I have to admit, most of the time I just roll the windows down.

Ok good to hear. What year viper do you have?

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a gen 1 and a gen 2 the AC works good in both if you have the right amount of 134r in the system, most gen 1s and 2s sit around and over time you lose some 134 and the AC gets weak, makes a big difference when the system is fully charged.:)

LeadfootRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Sapphire RT does alright with the AC in the summer's here. Although i almost never have the top on anyways, it does help with a cool breeze in the car.

I think once you get a car of your own and start enjoying it, you'll be less concerned about how well the AC works. There are certainly aspects of our cars that are "uncomfortable" esepcially over longer hauls, but in all honesty, those discomforts will melt away once you put that right foot down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JB Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys.

Hopefully in the next few weeks the right viper will come my way and can finally own my very own V10 beast:)

LeadfootRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys.

Hopefully in the next few weeks the right viper will come my way and can finally own my very own V10 beast:)

If you have any concerns about a car, feel free to contact Eddie Martin to take a look at it. He's one of the best Viper Techs in the country and would certainly be willing to take a look at a car with you. If possible, have the car taken to Bill Luke Dodge on Camelback rd and the I-17. You'll find Eddie there most days.

OP
OP
J

JB Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have any concerns about a car, feel free to contact Eddie Martin to take a look at it. He's one of the best Viper Techs in the country and would certainly be willing to take a look at a car with you. If possible, have the car taken to Bill Luke Dodge on Camelback rd and the I-17. You'll find Eddie there most days.

I actually spoke with Eddie at the Concours at Fountain Hills over the weekend. I will definitely talk to him or have him do a PPI on a viper if I find one locally.

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No problem I spoke with someone else at the car show on Saturday and he was telling me that he only drives it at night in the summer. Unless he wants to end up dripping in sweat. Sooo.. that may not work for me if all the gen II are this way.

I may be considering a gen III coupe now. But I still have some more research to do.

I have a GEN II GTS. Live in Hereford, AZ and I drive in the summer wo/problems. AC blows cold. You'll be fine if you replace the stock cats with highflows are no cats since it keeps the cabin cooler and keeps the heat out of the door sills.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang