supercharging - engine life span

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good morning all

Does supercharging or significantly increasing hp/torque by some other method, reduce the life span of the vehicle?

No intentions of tracking car. Still going to be my daily driver. Will put at least 15K miles per year. Just interested in a little more kick from time to time.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I personally think that it won't effect it much...it depends on how you drive it and how crazy you get with the HP. Also depends on how you take care of it also.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There seem to be a lot of examples of blown cars with several tens of thousands of miles on them, but then again 15k miles a year would put you at the high end of the scale for Viper drivers. As always, individual results may vary.

edretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no doubt that it will decrease the overall long term life of the engine. However with this much hp or added, who can really tell? Let er rip!

OP
OP
F

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
supercharging Gen II which one???

Thanks for the feedback

Seems like the 2 industy standards for supercharging are the Roe and Paxton Novi SC units, for a Gen II. Also seems like just about as many supercharge with the Paxton as with the Roe versions. How do you base a decision on which manufacturer to use. Is it based upon geography as in the shop nearest your local uses the Roe and not the Paxton or is one product superior over the other?????

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: supercharging Gen II which one???

Thanks for the feedback

Seems like the 2 industy standards for supercharging are the Roe and Paxton Novi SC units, for a Gen II. Also seems like just about as many supercharge with the Paxton as with the Roe versions. How do you base a decision on which manufacturer to use. Is it based upon geography as in the shop nearest your local uses the Roe and not the Paxton or is one product superior over the other?????

For a Gen II, I would definitely go with the Roe, based on the installation etc.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback

I have had the Roe, a Heffner custom Paxton setup, and now have Heffner twin-turbos, and I think you are under a misimpression to the extent you're comparing the Roe and Paxton DIY kits. I don't know whether Paxton has been able to market enough Gen. II kits the last year or so to catch up to the number of Roe blowers or not, but I can tell you that the general consensus is that the Roe DIY kit is a superior product. In fact, many people will tell you the Paxton kit really isn't DIY at all and you should have a tuner install it who knows what the bugs are that need to be fixed. There is nothing wrong with the Paxton blower, and it works especially well as part of a custom high-hp setup with a complete fuel system, etc., but if you're looking for a system to add 150 or so rwhp you cannot beat the ease of installation, instant torque, and customer service that comes with the Roe setup. It also looks much better, IMO.

Or I can make you a heck of a deal on my slightly used Heffner Paxton setup. :)

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Buy an intercooled supercharger system and have it installed by a qualified tech.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any blown engine will last until the first time it really detonates properly

Therefore the quality of the install and integrity of the setup is kinda important. After that the tuning is just as important.

done right, serviced regularly, and driven with a hint of common sense... it could last years - ask Gerald.

value for money - a Roe really makes sense - but get his water injection kit and the VEC2 with it - it will enable a better tune and keep things cool under pressure. It will feel a lot stronger than a Paxton too for most driving situations because the Roe hits earlier.

If you want max power - the Paxton is the ticket but spend the bucks and go to a tuner, don't get the DIY as has been said.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does supercharging or significantly increasing hp/torque by some other method, reduce the life span of the vehicle?
I don't know about supercharging but I believe there is a TT SRT with less than 1000 miles that was totaled and is now on ebay so this cars life span was definitely shortened.