Sweet smell when I go WOT

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get a sweet smell when I go WOT or just get into higher RPMs. I believe it's the smell of coolant. What can cause this? There is no evaporation or smoke out of my tailpipes on startup, cold or warm. I am changing the oil this weekend so I will check what that looks like. Is it possible I have a coolant leak somewhere and it leaks when the system gets pressurized under a higher throttle? Any places that are prone to leak that I should check first? The car runs fine.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My vote also, if the smell is in the car. If it is outside the car, I vote for post 2 and 3, plus, you can add the front coolant bottle. One caveat - if you have silicone hoses you will probably get the odor normally when nothing is wrong.

heatercore possibly

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any steam / fogging on the inside of the windshield with defrosters on? Signs of antifreeze on the passenger floor?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its the heater core there should be some detectable wet around or below the core. The under load part is weird, load wouldn't affect the heater core much.....certainly not as much as opening and closing the "heat" setting on the dash right?

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't really had a chance to look around, where is the heater core located? You can definitely smell it in the car however my AC needs to be refilled so I am driving with my windows down. I will rent the pressure tester and check the valve covers this weekend.

No steam on windshield

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think if it was something inside the car I would smell it all the time? This I smell it right after I let off the throttle and then it goes away after a few seconds

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think if it was something inside the car I would smell it all the time? This I smell it right after I let off the throttle and then it goes away after a few seconds
No one is saying it is the core, just something to eliminate.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the rear trunk/hatch breather vents. Pull up the carpet in the sides of your trunk and you will see a multiple louver/flap thingys. If a few are stuck open then that is more likely your problem. At WOT with the windows down exhaust fumes can get sucked in em if not sealing properly.

They are delicate. Be gentle pulling each one back down in place.