Tall guys: save my dream car for me...

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, all...

Viper is at the top of my wishlist, but the Gen III that I (barely) drove a few years ago had me convinced that I'd never fit it one. Knees splayed around the steering wheel made for waayyy unnatural clutch use. Sat in a new ACR and it seemed to be just as cramped.

But a little research lately has me thinking there might still be hope for me with the use of seat lowering kits.

I'm 6'4 with a 36"-37" inseam.

Please post up if you have similar proportions, and let me know what version (Gen III or Gen IV, coupe or 'vert) Viper you drive. Manufacturer info for your lowering kit (1" or 2"), too. Or maybe you've replaced the entire stock seat assembly to get the necessary legroom and headroom?

Thanks very much in advance for any info you can provide. If the Viper won't work for me I'll have to turn my focus to, what, CTS-V coupe? Maybe GT-R? Neither really stands up to the Viper, in my book :)

Rich

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I m 6'1 and I feel squeezed in there...but there's a lot of 6'4 members that have no issues with the car...personal preference I guess...

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, 6'1" here too. No lowering kit but it's fine. Just have to look under (or over if the tops down) the top of the wind shield to see when the light changes. lol

2" lowering kit will do wonders for you.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a little over 6'4"--no seat lowering or any gadgets through 7 Vipers. A learned art. Now my son at 6'7" can't fit but that is just as well.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you wanna fit, you will. simple as that

shaq found a way to fit in a ferrari.....

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6-2 1/2 with 2" lowering kit. 1" wasn't enough. Beware once you do it the seat will be fixed and shorter people won't be able to drive it very easily if at all (which I prefer).

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Your 36"-37" inseam makes you a very long-legged 6'4" Paul Ronald ???? Where are you?

When you 'barely drove" the gen 3, were the pedasl adjsuted full down? Or were they set for the prior driver? Pedal adjust nicely up/down. Realize that the Gen 3-4 dead pedal is somewhat adjustable as well...... at 6'3" 33" I could use more legroom with deadpedal full down. I often sneak / stretch my left foot beyond it to the bulkhead, like I did in Gen 2 days. Gen 2 DEFINITELY is a roomier cockpit than Gen 3-4.

You will need a 2" seat lowering kit, and if all else fails, buy a racing seat. Much "thinner" seat cushions to enable your dream-car as a last resort.

Good Luck

viperbuck93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am 6'4", when I was looking to buy my viper I asked my mechanic to order the lowering kit, the car came in with the top on and, surprised, I fit just fine,and canceled the kit. I also have long legs, so maybe it is how your proportioned? It is a Gen 1.

audiowhiz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 18yo nephew is 6'4" and fit in it fine. Wouldn't let him drive it of course, but he was testing the seats. he is tall but slim.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm 6'9", 275lbs, 36" inseam. As another member suggested if you wanna fit you'll find a way. Pulled the seat out day 1 and fabbed a bracket that put the seat right on the floor. I'll attach a pic. If you look closely at the seat headrests, you can see the driver's side is a good 3-4 inches lower than the factory passenger seat.

Technically I fit even with the top up, but either way you slice it - I'm crammed in this thing. Not sure people are looking at the car or the ape driving it, but I don't care.

You must be registered for see images

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6ft 4in here I have an 06 vert with a 2 inch lowering kit that works great. Probably could off gotten by with a 1inch like I had in my 94 RT10. I plan on getting a Gen 4 coupe to add to the stable next year and will probably put a 2 inch in it to help with wearing a helmet. We do whatever we have to to be able to drive our beloved Vipers.
Good Luck with your search.:2tu:

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 6'6", 245-250lbs and I used to drive my dad's GTS regularly. It was cramped but I fit ok with no seat lowering kit.

He now has a SRT vert and I am able to drive that as well but it is even more cramped than the GTS. I would say with a lowering kit you should be fine, but it will always be a tight fit.

Oh yeah. I am perfectly proportional torso to waste. My arms are a little long though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I'm kinda shocked that anyone over 6'4" could drive one of these. I guess one of the factors may be model-specific differences in seat and/or pedal adjustability. Which years are best?

I've also read that installation of the 2" seat drop kit adds headroom but decreases legroom. True? Or kit-dependent? Is everyone using the same 2" drop kit, or are there differences?

When I've crammed myself into a stock Gen III or Gen IV Viper, the main problem has been legroom and "knees at the steering wheel", with dicey headroom. I'm 245 lbs; no problems with the rest of the fit.

Thanks for all the responses. Lotsa big boys in these cars!

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where are you located? I think your best bet is to sit in a car with a lowering kit installed. I have the 1" kit and it goes all the way back till it hits. The 2" kit will aid you if headroom is a issue.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could always go Russki and install a forward facing tilting periscope kind of device :)
The backseater in this Russian built jet can be as tall as he wants but if he wants to look forward he is going to need help. Note the square thingy above the rear canopy.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You must get REALLY GOOD RADIO reception with that 5' antennae!

I'm 6'9", 275lbs, 36" inseam.....Technically I fit even with the top up, but either way you slice it - I'm crammed in this thing. Not sure people are looking at the car or the ape driving it, but I don't care.

You must be registered for see images

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rw99:

I am 6'6" 250 and needed a 1" kit. Fit fine now even with a helmet, and you can still move the seat if needed. Guess I would recommend coming out to a local event if you can to see what you need. As previously mentioned the pedals are adjustable for the leg length to some extent but torso length is the real question.

Richard

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL. That's the remote control antenna. :)

rw99 - if you've driven a vette... IMO the Gen 3 has less headroom than the C6, but more legroom. Pedals are adjustable on the SRT-10 so that helps somewhat. After dropping the seat I felt it offered roughly the same headroom. Knees are still smack against the dash and head rubs the top when up... but if you can squeeze into a vette you should be able to get into a Viper with a seat drop.

You must get REALLY GOOD RADIO reception with that 5' antennae!

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the 2" lowering kit, and it does move the seat forward a little to aid in getting the back bolts in, but remember, when the seat is lowered 2" so are your legs and knees. Therefore it should still help with the splayed feeling.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6'5" and no problems in a stock 08 coupe. My 94 RT is a bit tight and can't wear a helmet with the top on but still worth every bit.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
poor tall people, try being 5'8, what i would give for a few more inches lol, like a member said shaq found a way to fit in his "once coupe ferrari" he thought out of the box and cut the roof off, you will adjust to the viper :2tu:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
poor tall people, try being 5'8, what i would give for a few more inches lol, like a member said shaq found a way to fit in his "once coupe ferrari" he thought out of the box and cut the roof off, you will adjust to the viper :2tu:

At 5'7 I hear ya and I am more torso than legs too! The two times that I've been behind the wheel of a Viper so far have not been troublesome at all though, except that it would have been a tad more comfortable if the Racetech seat in the Ring Record car could travel a few more inches forward.