taping sidesills for racing

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a couple of track days and noticed my side sills are getting beat up pretty good. Mostly rubber, but still a pain in the neck to clean. I was thinking about taping them up, especially where they bend out.

I have some yellow duct tape. Do you think this would be ok?
Someone mentioned "race tape" to me. What is it?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Dealmaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As warm as the side sills get , I wonder if any tape will come off easy If you leave masking tape on a car in the sun it's almost impossiable to remove.:dunno:

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used blue racing tape once. The side sills got very hot and burnt some of the glue to the sills. I could not get it off. I have since had the sills re-painted and will not use tape again on the sills. Do not use duct tape as the glue is even worse than racing tape. If anything get the 3M clear bra stuff and put it on there permanently. Good luck.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the painters tape comes in colors. Easiest to use and wont leave any residue on after you take it off.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything you tape to the sidesills will melt and/or will become unremovable. I have literally 1,000s of track laps on my Black 2000 in race groups running race rubber and never had a problem with the sills. I rubber gets it dirty spray some WD-40 on and wipe it off.