Testarossa and Viper comparisons?

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody interested in comparisons between my just sold 2003 SRT 10, and my new to me 1988 Ferrari Testarossa? Don't want to muddy up the SRT forum, but if you're interested, I'll post

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be interested. They are two totally different animals but great in their own ways. LW, if you do not mind me asking, what color is the Testarossa and how many miles? Also how much did you finally get for your SRT?

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm interested, and since you had an srt i think we can still count it as a real srt post, so long as you throw performence stuff in there about the srt vs the red head.

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah def let's hear- saw one in the Ferrari of Washington dealership on Sat, was near perfect condition , super low mileage. Was really an outrageous ride (only $65K).

I am a big fan of older Ferraris, but of course you never get a ride in one :(

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be interested.

I considered a Testarossa when I was planning my Viper purchase.

I still think that I might buy a Testarossa some day (in addition to my Viper.)

The TR may well be the last mid-engined 12 cylinder Ferrari with a proper 6 speed gearbox.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only experience against a Testarossa was on the big track at Willow Springs Raceway.

That beautiful, wide and low Ferrari had always been one of my dream cars. I held it in the highest reverence, and considered it to be the highest form of motordom.

I had just gotten my 96 GTS track ready, and was honestly intimidated by the almighty V-12 Ferrari.

After less than 1 hour on the track, the Ferrari fell of its pedestal. The Viper clearly dominated it on the track. It was easy to reel it in, and pass it under almost any circumstances. It was slower in the corners, and could not acellerate against the Viper.

I spoke to the driver after the session, and he indicated that after what he just experienced that he was beginning to shop for a Viper.

As a side comment, he mentioned that the fresh air intake was down by the front spoiler, and that when he drove at speed the interior of the car was always full of dust. Made it hard to breath and irritated his contact lenses.

I still think it is one of the most beautiful cars. The super wide cockpit really was impressive.

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never have figured out how to upload pictures. I have some if someone will tell me. In the meantime, here's the comparison.

1. You are correct. There is NO comparison in performance. The Testarossa has a fairly delicate transmission, and cannot stand up to fast launches as the Tremec or the Quaiffe transmissions can. So the odds are, no Testarossa is going to be drag racing Vipers for pink slips, although it is harder to retain traction from the line in the Viper than it is in the Testarossa from the little bit I've pushed the TR.

Also consider that the 88 I purchased has 390 hp 364 torque, vs my SRT 530 and 550 (rough after valve recall work). The Viper and TR weigh around the same (3400 or so) but the Viper has more explosive power available.

Later model TRs go up to 421 hp, and have better brakes, but neither can outbrake an SRT. MY TR brakes equate fairly well, if not a bit better than my 96 RT/10, but not nearly as well as my 03 SRT did.

I've only been up to around 115 mph in the TR, but I do feel that the stability at that speed is better in the TR than in the Viper. Very wide car, very low, very well centered. Even with the 225 x 16 tires, there is no body roll, and no tipping anywhere that I've been able to push it to.

The Viper feels as though your next mistake could be your last. The TR feels as though you can't make a fatal mistake. However, in reality, the rear end can come around on the TR, and I understand that it can be even harder to bring that back than the old Porsche 911s (and I did have that experience in my 81 911 about 20 years ago, so I won't push it in the TR)

So if there is a performance war, I'd say that the only place a TR could win is above 120 miles per hour or so. Otherwise, if one is buying for performance, then the SRT 10 beats the Ferrari in every category.

HOWEVER, the story is not over.

With the radiators and motor behind the driver's compartment, there is no heat coming into the car from side pipes, or roasting your butt from the four cats (before I changed that stuff out on the Viper). Very calm cabin.

The interior is pure leather everywhere, with perhaps the most soulful open gate gear shifting in the history of the world. One drive and if you get it right, you think you should receive an award. There is a feel to the heavy clutch, and mechanical open gated shifter that makes you feel like a race car driver in the TR, that despite its obvious retro nod, isn't present in the Viper.

Interior and shifting go to the TR over the Viper. Harder to do right on the shifting, but much more rewarding when done.

The other major issue is the "work of art" issue. The SOUND of a Ferrari 12 cylinder engine at about 6200 rpm is AMAZING. It is a far, far better sound than any 10 cylinder, including the Viper. And that's before fooling around with any aftermarket exhausts, as I did with each of my Vipers.

The engine is a work of art. Beautiful to look at, even more so than the Viper engine, which is also beautiful to look at in the way that no other modern cars, with plastic shrouds, can duplicate.

Advantage Viper on performance.
Advantage TR on work of art and "feel"

Here's the part that may make a difference to some of you.
The next day after I bought the TR, the ECU (electronic control unit) wasn't working right. The dealer replaced it, but if I had to pay for it at retail, they tell me it would cost between $1,200 and $2,500 depending on who I bought it from.

I also elected to have the 30K major engine tune up done. It had last had cam belts replaced in 1999, and Ferrari doesn't think you should go more than about 5-7 years before replacing them. The car had 17,700 miles on it. It had a $6,000 15,000 mile service in 2002, but that didn't include the cam belts. Why? Because the engine has to come out of the car. Or more appropriately, the back half of the car has to come off the car!

Almost 3 weeks to have the major tune up done. While it was out, they suggested that we rebuild the water pump, not that it needed it, but if it ever does, the engine has to come out. So we rebuilt a perfectly good water pump, just in case.

Cost? I worked a deal because I had already overpaid for the TR, so it 'ONLY' cost me an additonal $6,000. The dealer picked up the balance, which at retail could have been anywhere from another $2,000 to another $6,000 depending on where you have the work done!!

The way I worked the deal, I'm not quite sure what the value of either of the cars actually was, but I think my trade in value on the Viper most closely approximated $54,000, maybe $53,000. I did my numbers net, including tax, license, and certain work, so that isn't exact. I had to negotiate fairly hard for that as a trade in, and I think that I could have gotten $3,000 more perhaps on the private market, given enough time.

However a super clean, local TR doesn't come around often, and this one was a two local owner car that had always been sold (each time) by the same Ferrari dealer, and the car is, according to the mechanic who worked on it after I bought it, probably the best example of its kind he's seen. Plus with the Macintosh amp, Alpine radio and CD Changers, ADS speakers already in, on a red over cream model.

And lastly, for me, it is an opportunity to own a true "Supercar" and "Marque" that I've never owned, and always wanted. It will either be a very short lived experience, or it just might be a few years (which would be quite a while in one car for me).

So that's the rundown from my point of view. I can upload pictures if someone wants to take me through how to do it.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I love this part "The Viper feels as though your next mistake could be your last"

How true but it's also kind of cool too..don't mess with the Viper...

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always had a problem justifying the cost of maintenace on Ferrari's.

Yeah...........I know if you can afford one then you shouldn;t be asking or be concerned about cost. But I can think of a lot of other places to spend hard earned money then on major/ minor maintenace expensive repairs after you have already spent a fortune on these cars.

Don;t get me wrong , its not to say I wouldn;t want one , but I have driven everything from TR to 360's to the NSX and you just can;t get a better bang for the buck then the Viper. Vetter will come close as well.

Just my 2 cents.
Patrick

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love this part "The Viper feels as though your next mistake could be your last"

How true but it's also kind of cool too..don't mess with the Viper...

hey ab

sorry to get off the subject but what happened to your gts?

vd..

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I certainly think that my Vipers had a feeling of being more "bulletproof" than the Testarossa. However, I read that once the major service is done, if Ferrari owners will actually DRIVE their vehicles, instead of leaving them in the garage, that the car is highly reliable. I've put a few hundred miles on in the past few days, and the car feels like it is running perfectly. Smoother and better for the use, I think. That's something else I like about the SRT-10. While it is an exotic, you can put the top up, lock the car, and not worry too much about it. Consequently the cars get driven, and not left in the garage. Neither are the daily driver that the Corvette is, but the Viper is pretty close for an exotic. Driving the TR and parking it places is more of an act of faith. NOt sure how much I like that part.

Too soon to tell.

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always had a problem justifying the cost of maintenace on Ferrari's.

Yeah...........I know if you can afford one then you shouldn;t be asking or be concerned about cost. But I can think of a lot of other places to spend hard earned money then on major/ minor maintenace expensive repairs after you have already spent a fortune on these cars.

Don;t get me wrong , its not to say I wouldn;t want one , but I have driven everything from TR to 360's to the NSX and you just can;t get a better bang for the buck then the Viper. Vetter will come close as well.

Just my 2 cents.
Patrick

I think you are correct on "bang for the buck" I'm curious how you compare your driving of the TR against the Viper. I've also been driven in the 360, have driven the NSX (which frankly seemed less interesting to me than my 04 C5 Corvette, which I think was a more fun car) and a variety of other Ferraris, Porsches, etc. Once the field narrows, if you want exotic and bang for the buck, and you don't need it as your daily driver, I doubt the Viper can be beat. If it is your only car, I'd probably go with the Vette Z06. IF you have a Range Rover in the garage, then I think one of the Ferraris could be an experience everyone should have at least once if they can afford to. I suggest the mid engine 12 cylinders with a straight stick, and not the smaller, older eights. They're great, but the power isn't enough coming from a Viper.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LW, this is a great post. I agree that there is something about the shift gate. Really feel like you earned it when the throttle blips on a down shift. Thanks for sharing.

My F car is 8 years your junior and I can say that the SRT is just astonishing in so many categories.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here ya go. DAMNN LW - this thing looks NEW!! :2tu:

7911tr_7.jpg

7911tr_5.jpg

7911tr_6.jpg

7911tr_4.jpg

7911tr_3.jpg

7911tr_2.jpg

7911tr_1.jpg

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sigh. That's a beautiful car. More like a work of art than a car in fact.

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do give it credit for being a true exotic, but I think the GTS looks meaner and outclasses the Ferrari when viewed from any angle.

Is it as cool as owning a Ferrari? Probably not ...

Mike M