The Turbo Wax Challenge

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL... I wouldn't use a Cali duster ever -- it just drags dirt, grit, and excess Cali wax all over.

So let's be practical -- how many folks are going to spend big bucks to have a 30 hour job done even once a month?

So what do you do in between those 30 hour detailing jobs? You do some fast detailing, using products and techniques that work well given the situation.

I spend over a week prepping a car for a show. But in between show car preps, practicality is the name of the game.

And yes, all the show judges I know would spot those defects right off the bat -- dark solid colored cars make it easy to spot defects.

Out on the road prep? Blow off at any service station with compressed air and detail. Why not pressure wash? You don't know the water quality -- hard water will leave a tough to remove mineral film (dulls finish).

So now that we're back to practicality, does Tubo Wax do a good job? Yes, it does. Is it fast and easy to use? Yes, it is. Is it in a league with other top quality products? Yes, it is. So that pretty much sums it up.

Take your pick, pay big bucks to have someone do a 30 hour job every week or DIY with detailing products that give good results within the bounds of the practicality of the situation.

After I have driven my car if it is dirty I either wash it using the 2 bucket method or use the QEW method (do a search, I am pretty sure I posted it on here a while ago).

I try to maintain my car with my rotary or one of my Random Orbitals like the Flex 3401 whenever I notice some swirls starting to appear so I don't have to do a 30 hour detail job very often. I am always testing a new product or compound so I am doing panels all the time. Sometimes I have problems finding a panel with swirls so have to do one of the daily drivers or even a neighbors car, I have no shortage of volunteers. :rolaugh: I also will use Zaino Z5p which is pretty good at hiding minor swirls and is one of the most durable sealants I have ever used and I have tried a lot of the (e.g. Klasse, Four Star, Wolfgang, Rejex, Just about every one of chemical guys products etc...) I cannot speak for Turbo as it is one of the few I haven't tried but I suspect it is very similar to a few I mentioned. As far as Turbo doing a good job, I wouldn't doubt it does as most car care products work pretty well and on our Vipers lets face it, we really don't need or use the durability and protection that most/some products provides as most of us polish or detail our Vipers after every drive, I know I do. Besides, it is 85% in the prep work and the remaining 15% what last step product we use.

As for the Calif Duster they are great if used properly, let ends of strands barely touch finish, do not even let the weight of duster touch car, and only use them for garage dust, NOT after the car was driven as road dust and pollen are very abrasive.

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of a Cali duster for your "garage dust", I use a fresh Swifer pad -- I wouldn't start with something that has dirt built up in it (not to mention Cali duster wax streaks). The Swifer smaller size and lighter weight makes it easier to get in the small spots -- e.g., between A-pillar and mirror, hood vents and side vents, and hood/wiper area. Gen III/IVs have a lot of nooks and crannys that you can't easily get to with a Cali duster. Plus, no possibility of leaving any wax streaks. A box of 10 Swifer pads is pretty cheap. :)

mike007

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Instead of a Cali duster for your "garage dust", I use a fresh Swifer pad -- I wouldn't start with something that has dirt built up in it (not to mention Cali duster wax streaks). The Swifer smaller size and lighter weight makes it easier to get in the small spots -- e.g., between A-pillar and mirror, hood vents and side vents, and hood/wiper area. Gen III/IVs have a lot of nooks and crannys that you can't easily get to with a Cali duster. Plus, no possibility of leaving any wax streaks. A box of 10 Swifer pads is pretty cheap. :)
Hey that swifer is a great idea !!!!!!!!!!:2tu:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have zero problems with wax streaks unless the car is hot and you shouldn't do it if the car is warm any way. If you put it on a newspaper for a few days when you first get them it helps a lot. Mine is over 10 years old so I never get any wax spots or streaks. It is also not really that dirty after all of those years since it is never used t clean the car when it is real dirty, just far garage or show dust.

I never seen a swiffer so cannot say if they are any good or not. I do know you don't want anything rubbing the dust across the surface too hard or it will scratch.

I think the main point is use common sense with whatever method you use and if it is really dirty it is always best to wash it.

I use QD mostly after I wash my car to remove any stuck on dirt and to leave the finish slick so whatever wax or polish will glide on easily and real this. This really helps when applying Zaino or any LSP for that matter.

Tito Tw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as Turbo doing a good job, I wouldn't doubt it does as most car care products work pretty well and on our Vipers.

Just for the record, 1966 Original Paint No wet sanding, high speed buffer with our products.;) click on image for larger view.:)

Last edited:

silverz06vette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as Turbo doing a good job, I wouldn't doubt it does as most car care products work pretty well and on our Vipers.

Just for the record, 1966 Original Paint No wet sanding, high speed buffer with our products.;) click on image for larger view.:)

I can't tell much from the 2nd picture as there is no sun or halogen lights used. :dunno:

silverz06vette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL... I wouldn't use a Cali duster ever -- it just drags dirt, grit, and excess Cali wax all over.

So let's be practical -- how many folks are going to spend big bucks to have a 30 hour job done even once a month?

So what do you do in between those 30 hour detailing jobs? You do some fast detailing, using products and techniques that work well given the situation.

I spend over a week prepping a car for a show. But in between show car preps, practicality is the name of the game.

And yes, all the show judges I know would spot those defects right off the bat -- dark solid colored cars make it easy to spot defects.

Out on the road prep? Blow off at any service station with compressed air and detail. Why not pressure wash? You don't know the water quality -- hard water will leave a tough to remove mineral film (dulls finish).

So now that we're back to practicality, does Tubo Wax do a good job? Yes, it does. Is it fast and easy to use? Yes, it is. Is it in a league with other top quality products? Yes, it is. So that pretty much sums it up.

Take your pick, pay big bucks to have someone do a 30 hour job every week or DIY with detailing products that give good results within the bounds of the practicality of the situation.

I must of missed the part where someone said "they are getting a 30 hour detail once a month." :confused:

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I must say, the products that Turbo Wax sent me, were better than described as far as I am concerned.

Extremely easy to apply and remove. The Swirl Remover and the Car Wax together, one after the other did an excellent job on my 95 RT/10.

I am all about a great look with the least amount of time spent. Time is very valuable to me, and the speed at which these products went on is RIGHT up my ally!! I do not know how they would do out in the "elements" like on a DD vehicle, however that is not my need. These are products the I will be using on my nice weather only toys.

Great product for me!! Thanks Tito !!!!:2tu::2tu::2tu:

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few folks at the Texas Round-Up who have been following this thread thought the slate snake looked pretty good with its couple of coats of TurboWax. The improved TurboWax does give a deeper "wet look" than the previous polish. Comments at the Round-Up included how the pearl really pops.

The key with the new TurboWax is to shake well every time you apply a dollup to the applicator. It tends to separate quickly, so the quick shake mixes it back up. Like its predecessor, the new polish wipes of easily with very little residue.

It was pretty windy for the Round-Up so folks got to see me knock the overnight dust off with the Swifer. Several folks thought it was a cool idea, largely because it's quick to slip a nice fresh pad on.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the small swifer for the inside dusting. They work great in tight spaces along the dash. I have a vert so it does get dirty inside the car when top is down.

Broch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This may sound like a small point, but it is pretty easy to make a car look dull when you take pictures @ high noon versus morning/dusk. It's pretty common knowledge even for amateur photographers.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I received some samples of turbo wax products. I tested the swirl remover, prewax and the wax. I did the front of 1 stripe with the 3 products and I did the front of my other stripe with NXT Meguiars that I always use. I must say as far as shine and luster the Meguiars and turbo wax are the same, 1 coat each, my opinion. Now as far as the swirl remover I am very impressed. I used it on my stripe, without a buffer so I was doing by hand and with very little effort it removed the swirls about 90 percent. If I had a buffer or did it once more I am confident they would be gone. I have used Meguiars scratch remover to correct these micro scratches/swirls and it doesn't compare.

Brian_Brice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do nothing except for washes to both cars for 4-6 months, then let us know which one is still protecting. Since we don't know how each car was prepped, how can we really compare them?

Prep- machine polishing the paint is 90% of your paints appearance.

Good points, not to mention the mere argument of whether or not a synthetic is truly "layerable" It wouldn't matter if you applied a thousand coats of Zaino all that really means is you probably didn't miss a spot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456