The Very First Viper?

steve p

Viper Owner
Reaction score
3389d1238897129-picture-test-89viper.jpg

I found this while going through some papers recently. I don't know what magazine I clipped it from, but I wrote the date on it at that time.

If it was shown in June 1989, it probably developed in 1988 or earlier. That's a quite a ways from the 1993 models. Does anyone know if it still exists?

SR 27

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't remeber which car is at the museum. I can't find my museum pics right now. The Viper in the article is the show car. We had that car at a dealer I worked at in Columbus, Ohio sometime around 1990. I was blown away. I saw one of the first Vipers at Indy in '91 when Shelby drove the pace car. The vin plate picture I've posted is #001. I think it's from the museum around 2001. The other pics are from the show car built at Gaffoglio's (Metal Crafters). I have a friend who worked there then and he gave me these from his collection. It was the first time the car had been out of the building on it's madein voyage to Detroit. No one was allowed to take picture before that day. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 164

SR 27

Viper Owner
Reaction score
more pictures

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 87

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that car is indeed at the chrysler museum. unfortunately its very hard too see since they have it elevated all the way to the top. that car was called the 1989 rt/10 concept vehicle.

Dodge Viper Historical Society Photo Gallery - 1989 RT/10 Concept Vehicle

this was actually the fourth viper made before the 1991 indy 500 pace car viper.

VM-01 was the first car.

Dodge Viper Historical Society Photo Gallery - VM-01

then VM-02.

Dodge Viper Historical Society Photo Gallery - VM-02

then pacifica.

Dodge Viper Historical Society Photo Gallery - 1989 Pacifica Prototype

then the car at the museum.

Last edited:

Broch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I kinda looks likes if there was a viper 2012.. the sharp lines. Makes me love me gen1 a little more! :)

I also like the deep dish rims.

'93 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sure am glad they didn't go over budget and have to build the Pacifica version with only a V8

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
that car is indeed at the chrysler museum. unfortunately its very hard too see since they have it elevated all the way to the top. that car was called the 1989 rt/10 concept vehicle.

Dodge Viper Historical Society Photo Gallery - 1989 RT/10 Concept Vehicle

this was actually the fourth viper made before the 1991 indy 500 pace car viper.

VM-01 was the first car.

Dodge Viper Historical Society Photo Gallery - VM-01

then VM-02.

Dodge Viper Historical Society Photo Gallery - VM-02

then pacifica.

Dodge Viper Historical Society Photo Gallery - 1989 Pacifica Prototype

then the car at the museum.

We'll try and set the record straight for you. Some day we need to write a book with the real story (we will help you Herb!)…here’s what we know and remember. Some minor details may be slightly off but this is pretty close. Hope this helps, enjoy!

The very first Viper was the show car which was built mostly at Metalcrafters in California. It had a V-10 engine that was really a 360 V-8 with two additional cylinders furnace brazed onto the original iron V-8 block. It leaked a little coolant but it did run (albeit, poorly). It was not called or numbered as a mule or prototype but was simply the show car. It was first shown at the Detroit Auto Show in January of 1989.

The second car built in early summer of 1989 was actually a modified 1979 Corvette! We bought the car used and modified it for chassis/suspension development before we finalized the designs for the first Viper development vehicles. We called her Felicity and she had her original Chevy drivetrain with a few hop-up parts to get her in the 350 HP range. Felicity was fitted with Viper prototype frame parts and adjustable suspension parts to test a variety of suspension geometries. Of note, we also had a Shelby kit car at one time for testing as well, a terrible car! Felicity was later designated as VM03 (Viper Mule 03) even though it preceded the first two Viper Mules built. Much of the work done on Felicity was done at Roush Engineering, Chelsa Proving Grounds and at Highland Park.

The Third car built was VM01 and was the first operational Viper mule car. The car was painted white and is shown in many early photos. VM01 was built primarily at Highland Park engineering. VM01 had a fuel injected 360 V-8 engine that had a flat tappet cam similar to the old 340 HP cam of the early 70’s, headers, a tubular steel intake manifold and dual Minivan V-6 throttle bodies. It made about 320 HP and was used as a chassis and suspension development car since it would have similar weight and weight distribution as the coming aluminum V-10 powered cars. VM01 was built in late 1989.

The forth and last Viper mule car was VM02, the first running fully operational V-10 powered Viper. VM02 was built primarily at Jeep Truck Engineering, the new home of team Viper, sometime in early 1990. The first public appearance of VM02 occurred in June of 1990 for a long lead press show at Sedona Arizona where it was shown and driven by Bob Lutz. VM02 had a prototype truck V-10 iron engine that was punched out to 8.0L (from the production truck 7.9L) and included a billet crank, forged pistons and rods, the 340 HP cam profile, ported big valve heads, short headers and a tubular steel intake manifold with dual V-6 throttle bodies. It also had a very early engine control system that included two separate ECU’s, each controlling one I-5 engine in effect. The engine made about 360 HP and was very heavy making meaningful dynamics testing less than desired. It was however, a lot of fun!

After VM02 the first series of Viper prototype cars were built with the first being VP04 (Viper Prototype 04) built sometime in early/mid 1990. VP04 was the first car to get an aluminum V-10 engine and was a red roadster. VP04 was the first really representative car of what the production Viper would become.

There was never a separate V-8 powered “Pacifica” car as described in this thread to our knowledge. The car shown simply looks like the V-10 show car to us.

The show car is in the Chrysler Museum in Auburn Hills. VM01 and VM02 still exist and are part of the Chrysler Historical Collection. VM03 and VP04 were eventually scrapped.

The actual 1991 Viper pace cars were VP24 and VP26 and were built in early 1991 and were barely ready by May for race support. One pace car is in the Chrysler Collection while the other is in the Indy Museum.

The VP series of cars were not necessarily made sequentially, the last prototype car was VP29 and it was made in late 1991. After that the first batch of production cars were built on line at New Mack and many were used for testing and development until volume production started in early/mid 1992. The rest is as they say, history…

Last edited:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT - Thanks for setting the record strait! That is great!:hail:

Yes Herb, please do a book from the engineers perspective! I think I can speak for all in saying that would be a great book!:2tu:

In regards to the prototypes, what VP number was the mule that was running around dealers and car shows in 1991? I remember at the 1991 Mopar Nationals in Indianapolis, Indiana there was a test mule (manufacturer plates, hand made lenses, was overall very rough) running around and was able to do burnouts!:drive:

Just curious. Got the mind thinking!

Robert

SR 27

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did all the prototypes have black intakes and valve covers? I'm doing my RT/10 with black intake and v/c's. I wish I could remember where I shot the picture of that vin plate. I was in Detroit around January 2001. Went through comp coupe build area and through PVO. Was the Viper sitting in comp coupe area with Lutz's other cars at Jack's place? I just don't know.

Last edited:

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I LOVE the history of this car! Everytime I sit down and read a book or watch a video about how it came together it amazes me. I still want one, still need to drive one, I've been in 12 of them, 20 years later I swear I have a connection to this car....

"It was first shown at the Detroit Auto Show in January of 1989."

Go ahead, guess when I was born.:smirk: Yup, January of 89' and I'm finishing up my first year of owning my first Mopar.:drive:

--RS

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks to the engineers for that info! all my info came from pulling bits and pieces off of the internet. you guys filled in alot of information gaps. i will update and edit my site with the correct info. thank you!

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
thanks to the engineers for that info! all my info came from pulling bits and pieces off of the internet. you guys filled in alot of information gaps. i will update and edit my site with the correct info. thank you!

We did a little more investigation today, asked a few more questions, and talked to some other old timers! The new version of the early history has been modified in the original post (see above) and corrects the timing of VM03 which was actually the first Viper development car (even though it was a Corvette!) - makes sense if you think about it. This account is now 99% correct!

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually got to see VM01 and VM02 back in January, it was pretty awesome to see them in person.

I had to snicker when looking at the original concept car and see the bottom of the front fascia was scraped.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We did a little more investigation today, asked a few more questions, and talked to some other old timers! The new version of the early history has been modified in the original post (see above) and corrects the timing of VM03 which was actually the first Viper development car (even though it was a Corvette!) - makes sense if you think about it. This account is now 99% correct!
I was thinking that as I remember seeing it near Bldg 128 many times when I was still working in 132 (Ah the ole Advanced engines days!).

What a fugly looking stance that car had! Bo (Buchesky for the uninitiated) knows alot about that car as I think he used it for chassis setup.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually got to see VM01 and VM02 back in January, it was pretty awesome to see them in person.

I had to snicker when looking at the original concept car and see the bottom of the front fascia was scraped.

how did you get to see these cars? i only have a couple of each car for my website and i would LOVE TO HAVE A FEW MORE.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, what great info. Just another great example why the VCA is the greatest car club on earth. Thanks guys!!

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plum I would disagree. I love the Gen 1 wheels. I think the concept wheels are over the top. I prefer the Gen 1 wheels to any other viper wheels yet.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just looking at this old thread and a question begs answering.

I know Viperdrummer just bought SN00002 from Bob Lutz. So where is SN00001?

:eater:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Just invited to Indianapolis Motor Speedway to see VP26 up close. This will by most interesting. May plan a return visit later with Tom Sessions for a better evaluation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang