This is embarrassing!

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My drivers seat leather has taken on the small of a cheesy as$. :shocked: When it gets hot, it smells. The car, although three years old, had only 726 miles on it when I bought it and I know I haven't done anything to make it smell this way.(it has 2000 now). I know the previous owner did not ride around without his pants on! Anyone else with this problem? Is this just a leather curing issue? :confused: If so how did you fix it? I used some Zaino leather restore on it and it helped but today it was hot again and when I put some seat time in I think I was smelling it again! :eek:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!
Quit eatin' cheese!!!!!!

sorry, I couldn't resist. :eek:
smelly cow? I don't know.rodent die in your car?

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was serious about the mouse dyin' in the seat, I've seen it before. Sorry about the wise crack.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just go through your car inch by inch with your nose and pin point the source. If it's still the leather which I can't believe it can smell that bad, try a scented conditioning oil.

I'm no scent expert just my suggestion. :)

OP
OP
K

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yes, and that is a possibility since the car was sitting a lot in it's first 3 years. I am going to get a mirror and a flashlight and check up under the seat.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you're goin' to see much w/ a mirror, too cramped, only 4 bolts, pretty easy to get out plus the little bugger mighta burrowed up into the seat!!!!! :eek: :shocked:

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, can't see how it would be the leather smelling? A mouse or something else might have gotten inside, and if it died then it would have the nasty "cheese" smell lol, that reeks.

Keep us updated, curious as to what the cause will be lol.

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A dead mouse is a possibility, but if you've ever spilled milk in a car, you know what a horrible smell can result from this. A little milk seeping through the perforations in the seat will stink. Good luck.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a neighborhood cat sneak through an open window and *** on the seat (in my wife's car) and it smelled rank.
We replaced the bottom cushion, but there are both mold/mildew sprays and *****-neutralizing cushion cleaners available. I'd also shampoo the carpet.

-Dean.

OP
OP
K

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK I think I got all the helpful advice I can stand. Put some mothers leather conditioner on it today and went for a spin, hot here and no more smell. I suspect someone spilled something on the seat and it seeped through. But it is OK now, thanks, really no more responses needed. :2tu: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
One more?

I was thinking maybe they made the seat portion with the cow's asz?

My seats had a distinct aroma of curing leather, or chemicals for tanning, I don't know which, But this aroma eventually went away. This process of curing was sped up by leaving the windows open while it was parked in the garage.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You HAVE to post a picture of the "dead mouse" under/in the seat!
:D

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What ViperGTS said, where's the pic of the dead mouse, or whatever crawled under your seat and died!!!!!! :eek: :2tu:

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kgrif,
if there is any sign of wear on the seat at all; have it replaced under warranty!!!
My 01 had some wear with only 8,000miles on it. So, new seat no questions.

Good luck
Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang