throw out bearing? a new sound at 25,000mi

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 04 srt just started to make a chatter sound when in neutral. Of course when I push in the clutch it goes away. I did a search and read that this was normal, but it seemed to be normal after a few thousand miles. My car never did it ever, until now, at 25,000 miles. Is that still considered normal or should i be concerned. BTW, i had my clutch replaced by D.Levin at 21,000 miles so I doubt its my clutch. I have no other symptoms.
ps...for you guys in snow country, man that *****:(

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what causes the noise but my 08 does it, the same way you describe it. I asked Viper Tech and he said it was normal.

Reaction score
Noise is normal on Gen4 cars, but on a Gen3 the cause could be the input shaft bearing. Often they go bad after a transmission is taken in and out with higher mileage. If you do take it out again also check for input shaft "play".

OP
OP
S

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thank you mj, i guess before my warranty runs out in april to get it checked out....now if only i was in nebraska!!!!i'd happily pay you to ckeck it out, probably much cheaper to service it now than later

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NGR nuetral gear rattle, pretty common. I know my car does it, but the cam doesn"t help either.:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960