Thunderhill Results?

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mumford won Sat & Sun race in CC. All comp coupes placed in top 4 spots both days. Wasn't paying attention to GT1 cars, sorry.

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bobby Archer won GT1 on Sunday. Tommy Archer was still there Sunday but did not drive. Mumford was awesome for only having the car for a couple of days, and yes he qualified at 1:51, don't know what his lap times were during the race. Anybody who missed the Thunderhill event missed something special, seven comp coupes in person, very impressive. I have pictures but havent had time to post.

Brad

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the battle with the Panoz!
Robert Granado and I had our own side show going on both Saterday and Sunday in our Panoz GTS race cars. Two of our teem cars had some technical issues (they broke).
Wow, you get a real good view of the Comp Coupes when they pass you at 150+ 3 feet from your door! These are some of the cleanest running race cars we have run with. They are not as loud as the gen 2 GTS cars they had been driving.
And they do stick! They are worth every thousand.
Get out to Viper Days and see them run.
Get out to Viper Days and run your self as well!
Dan

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Comp Coupe is beyond an amazing car. All of the people complaining that the car isn't sorted are either absurd or not qualified to give advice on the handling characteristics of a race car.

We took the 'Joe Dirt' Edition primered Comp Coupe to T-Hill with almost zero prep time. Eddie Martin made a few small changes (routed a few hoses in the motor away from the headers, added wire screens to protect the radiator, moved the seat back) and we drove the car exactly how it was shipped.

The car wasn't even re-aligned from the way Dodge shipped it and on my 2nd hot lap ever in the car I turned a time faster than the fasted time any GT1 car turned all weekend (and that was the race car Bobby Archer was driving). The PVO guys were there with Tommy still developing the PVO car and it wasn't even able to match the time of the car they shipped me. So even with all of the testing they've been doing, they haven't gotten it quicker than the stock car they're shipping. On top of all of that, the car never once had any sort of mechanical problem all weekend.

My suggestion to anybody even remotely interested in one of these cars is to run to the bank and wire Dodge some cash for a deposit.

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paul,

You think you could float me the $120K, I would love to get one. By the way, great driving, great car, great race. It was amazing watching you guys run all weekend. Did the video turn out?

Brad

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I heard a rumor that Mumford in the "Joe Dirt" car beat Tommy Archer. Way to go my friend! Now we are just waiting for everyone to say your cheating again.

WAR JOE DIRT MOTORSPORTS!!!!

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the video would show much other than a lime green car doing it's best to put itself anywhere on the track that I was trying to go.

And the USS Joe Dirt didn't race Tommy Archer. They were doing more testing to find ways to make the Comp Coupes faster. The fact that everything they seemed to try couldn't make it quicker is a testiment to just how awesome this car is out of the box. Tommy Archer is the one who set the cars up and he did an amazing job. I'd like to run into the $170,000 GT3 race car that Porsche sells or the $190,000 360 Challenge car that thinks it can hang with this car.

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,

I am confused. What kind of car was Bobby Archer driving? What lap times did he put down. I ask not only to stir the ***, but to compare in some warped way to the times that a Porsche factory driver put down when he tried to compare the Viper ACR and the GT2. He ran 2:04 in the ACR and "just under 2:00" in the GT2 (I suspect 1:59s).

Admittedly, this was on street tires (who knows if they were Hoosier "street tires"), but it serves as ammo for my argument with by buddy that the Viper ACR/GTS would beat the mega-buck GT2 in the hands of the same driver (who is VERY familiar with the idiosyncrasies of both cars) on the same day at the same track in back to back sessions

Rocky Horde

Reaction score
Tommy Archer was testing the PVO #3 CC. Bobby Archer (when not selling tires) drive a GENII in the GT1 class. And John Archer was keeping our cars on the track going faster.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bobby Archer was driving Johnny Yuma's race car (GT-1) in the race. I was going to drive it in the race because I didn't expect a 1 week old car with no work done on it to be competitive. But after the first session Sat. morning in the Comp Coupe I decided to race the Comp Coupe and Johnny let Bobby Archer drive his race car. I think Bobby qualified Sunday with a mid 1:54 or so (not 100% sure).

When the magazine tested the GT2 against the Viper there they ran the bypass, not the Cyclone (our configuration was a few seconds longer) so you can't compare the times. I hate to prove you wrong, but as somebody who owns and has tracked both a Porsche GT2 and an ACR, I can definitely say the GT2 will beat the ACR (stock for stock) with the same, above average driver.

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Paul. I could have sworn that you had concluded just the opposite about a month or so ago (when you first had the Porsche at Buttonwillow or Willow Springs, I forget which). Oh well, the Viper is still great bang for the buck. For that matter, the ZO6 seems even better from a pure econmoic standpoint!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bobby Archer was driving Johnny Yuma's race car (GT-1) in the race. I was going to drive it in the race because I didn't expect a 1 week old car with no work done on it to be competitive. But after the first session Sat. morning in the Comp Coupe I decided to race the Comp Coupe and Johnny let Bobby Archer drive his race car. I think Bobby qualified Sunday with a mid 1:54 or so (not 100% sure).

When the magazine tested the GT2 against the Viper there they ran the bypass, not the Cyclone (our configuration was a few seconds longer) so you can't compare the times. I hate to prove you wrong, but as somebody who owns and has tracked both a Porsche GT2 and an ACR, I can definitely say the GT2 will beat the ACR (stock for stock) with the same, above average driver.

I dunno PMUM, I know on the ride up you pulled me from 100 to just north of 160 by 2 car lengths but I got an RT with the aero of a brick. I seem to remember your best time was 1:31.9 (at WSIR) and I remember Terri Rossi turned a 1:31.8 in his stock '99, does that make Terri a better driver :laugh:

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SoCal, when I said 'stock' I meant as delivered from the factory. Having StopTechs and a full race alignment is not 'stock' (unless you use the Tom Glenn Cheaters Dictionary). An alignment alone on a street car is worth an easy 1-2 seconds minimum. Also, different days yield different times. Last year at OTC Thunderhill when it was 110 degrees, the track was an easy 2-4 seconds slower. Anytime you want to match up a truly stock Viper against the GT2 I'll be sure to give it the same treatment my GT2 gave your Viper on the 14 freeway.

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some Photos for your viewing pleasures. . .
28Pmum.jpg

283_coupes.jpg

28Foster.jpg

28Woodhouse4.jpg

28cockpit2.jpg

28Dscn18482.jpg

28PVO_Engine2.jpg

28Dscn18522.jpg

28exhaust2.jpg

CT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The results for the Thunderhill are posted!! We post the results the day after we get home. We were travelling all day on Monday and could not get them up. Sorry for the delay.

Viper Days

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CT: Don't listen to the whiners, you guys do a great job! (but I'll contact you off line about some alternative meal places).

CT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate any help people can give me about food alternatives for extremely small town such as Willows that does not offer much!!