Tickets???

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned my Viper for 4 months now and haven't (knock on wood) gotten a ticket yet.
Ted at Valaya Racing just looked at me in total disbelief, so, I was wondering if anyone has never gotten a ticket in their Viper, or how long it was before you got your first ticket?

One of the guys at work bought a new Shelby GT500 last week. Picked it up on Friday, Saturday morning he got his first ticket with less than 50 miles on the odometer. The cop wrote him up for 68 in a 55 when he was doing over 90 on a wide open stretch of 2 lane farm road in the Central Valley.

Also, I was curious if you can be ticketed for accelerating to the posted speed limit, if you don't break it loose?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned my Viper for 4 months now and haven't (knock on wood) gotten a ticket yet.
Ted at Valaya Racing just looked at me in total disbelief, so, I was wondering if anyone has never gotten a ticket in their Viper, or how long it was before you got your first ticket?
One of the guys at work bought a new Shelby GT500 last week. Picked it up on Friday, Saturday morning he got his first ticket with less than 50 miles on the odometer. The cop wrote him up for 68 in a 55 when he was doing over 90 on a wide open stretch of 2 lane farm road in the Central Valley.
Also, I was curious if you can be ticketed for accelerating to the posted speed limit, if you don't break it loose?

Yep, got ONE ticket for accelerating at the turning yellow light...as we are TOO LOUD!!!!!
So, I'd guess if you were accelerating to the posted speed limit, as long as you're NOT LOUD, maybe you can pass on that!!! (we LIKE being loud :cool: , but learned to look in inconspicuous places where the cops HIDE!!) ENJOY....it's VERY easy to break loose.
~juli~

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a miracle but....not yet!! Two and a half years later. I got one in my Hummer H2 though!

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can the Hummer do over 55? :) I have been stopped 3 times. Twice for no front license plate and once for no plates at all. No tickets as of yet though.

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got caught going downhill from 70 to 55 zone! Now I have a Magnacharger SC setup on the H2 which makes a big difference in drive-ability o the highway and with towing the Viper to the track.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a 75 in a 55 the day I picked it up on my way home from the VCA Crab Feast in MD. He got 3 of us and unfortunately my wife was following me in our pickup with the Viper original exhaust in the back. :(

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Depends on the cop, Vehicle Code 23109.c has been variously interpreted to include accelerating at full throttle even though the speed limit is not exceeded.

"23109 (c) A person shall not engage in a motor vehicle exhibition of
speed on a highway, and a person shall not aid or abet in a motor
vehicle exhibition of speed on any highway."

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No tickets in the Viper for me.

I've got a Valentine 1, and I'm pretty careful about where/when I exceed the speed limits.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've got a radar detector as well, but were unfortunate enough to try to get past a yellow light with our VERY LOUD setup!!! Were caught 'going thru a red light', which was not true, but the trooper had a rookie with him...had to 'be the tough guy', ya know??!!
Paid the price of that one, and don't do that no mo!!!!!!!! riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!! ~juli~

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No tickets since I went to jail for Racing. That was May of 2000. I used to constantly have 2-3 points on my record. i guess ive been lucky. I have been pulled over and got alot of warnings last few years. But since owning Viper for last year, i cruise at about 80mph and the Valentine is keeping me safe.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No tickets since I went to jail for Racing. That was May of 2000. I used to constantly have 2-3 points on my record. i guess ive been lucky. I have been pulled over and got alot of warnings last few years. But since owning Viper for last year, i cruise at about 80mph and the Valentine is keeping me safe.

Went to jail for racing, and you say you've been lucky?!!!! You must live the life, man!!:omg:
(LOL) We also cruise along and don't play around on the highways, too many 'whacked-out-drivers' out there!! Stay safe! ~juli~

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Went to jail for racing, and you say you've been lucky?!!!! You must live the life, man!!:omg:
(LOL) We also cruise along and don't play around on the highways, too many 'whacked-out-drivers' out there!! Stay safe! ~juli~

Our Saturday morning ritual involves meeting up with a bunch of other cars at a local meet spot. Somehow myslef,my buddy in another SRT and a supercharged Vette manage to race down the freeway and never see a Cop. Of course the freeways are empty at 8am Saturday morning,but Im suprised we arent in jail again. :drive:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THAT would be a blast, and we'd do the same if opportunity presented itself!!!!!! So, I'm with you there!!! Just stay safe....juli

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my car on a Saturday, got pulled over the following Thursday night. Not speeding though, my knee had turned off my headlights when shifting gears and with the streetlights on Interstate, I didnt notice until we passed the cop (oops). The cop made me stand outside the car (with it being about 30 degrees that night) b/c he said he smelled marijuana in the car :rolleyes:. After he let me get back in the car, my friend was like "you know, you just bought this car and havent fully detailed it yet, it really could be marijuana in here. If they arrest you, can I drive it home?" (Such a good friend...:D ). The cop came back, gave me a warning for no headlights, and said that his 1st thought when he heard the car idling when he 1st walked up to the car was
"God almighty, what a car!":D He also called for backup to check out the car while we were pulled over. :rolaugh:

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took a year and a half before my first one. I've been pulled over at least three times but only one ticket (and not for license plate). Ticket was for "failure to obey traffic signs". What was the sign I failed to obey? The one that says don't go over 45mph. I was doing 100+. Thankfully the officer did not have his radar on, at least I think that's why he didn't give me a speeding ticket.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't resist responding to this one. Of course this will mean I've jinxed myself.

I've been stopped nearly 50 times (not all in a Viper) 2 tickets (not in the Viper), several warnings. Fought both in court and reduced them to the minimum fee.

I should teach a class or write a book now that I think about it.

BTW, I got both tickets when I had a radar detector. I got rid of that quickly! Much better odds of getting out of a ticket if you don't have one.

No points today!

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 months (2 months I couldn't drive it because of inclement weather) with the Viper until my first and only ticket....Careless Driving (exactly as you describe, accelerating too loud and too fast for the officer's liking. I didn't squeal em, smoke em or nothing, and didn't accelerate even 75% of the throttle's travel). None since.

Regards,
Aaron

Last edited:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made it a whole three months before I got it for 108 in a 45 :spank: thats $780.00 for those of you counting at home!My wifes comment was I wondered when that was going to happen.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 months (2 months I couldn't drive it because of inclement weather) with the Viper until my first and only ticket....Careless Driving (exactly as you describe, accelerating too loud and too fast for the officer's liking. I didn't squeal em, smoke em or nothing, and didn't accelerate even 75% of the throttle's travel). None since.
Regards,
Aaron

Yep, Aaron--same here...if you were quoting me. TOO LOUD, plus the trooper had a rookie with him, so it's pretty much guaranteed he HAS to show his 'authorit-y' :rolleyes: ...tho, what was actually funny, was the rookie was on the passenger side mirror giving ME the :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: (over and over and NOT when the trooper could see him!!! TOOOOOOOOO funny!!)....juli

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Juli,

That woud've been very funny as the rookie's smarter than his trainer! Mine unfortunately cost me $10000.00 (about $6000 in increased insurance premiums as both my cars no longer qualified for collector car insurance and had to go on my regular policy, $4000 in wages for making 5 appearances in court). I've gotten over it somewhat, but if I see that cop off duty, I doubt I'll be able to hold my tongue.

Regards,
Aaron

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, Aaron--that's a horrific price to pay!!!! Yeah, that rookie WAS funny -- all I could do not to laugh to draw the trooper's attention!! I'd hope you can hold your tongue if you see that off-duty cop--you just never know--you may pay a HIGHER price!! Sorry that happened to you, man. Sooooooooo---I forget, did you and your fiancee set a date yet??
(short-term memory problems for SURE here!!!) I see you didn't go to the Hamptons either, huh? We couldn't get the time off...drat... ~juli~

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:dunno:

I have not had a ticket since April of 1980. Even though I have taken my Viper up to 150+ on empty freeways. I have V1 and constantly scan front and back when I drive, and don't race every Tom , Dick and Harry that pull up next to me. The thing I don't understand, and if I get pulled over for being too loud, I will fight it all the way to the top. Have you ever heard all those Harleys out there. Our cars are no where near that loud. Until I see the cops pulling them over , they better not pul me over for sound.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:dunno:

I have not had a ticket since April of 1980. Even though I have taken my Viper up to 150+ on empty freeways. I have V1 and constantly scan front and back when I drive, and don't race every Tom , Dick and Harry that pull up next to me. The thing I don't understand, and if I get pulled over for being too loud, I will fight it all the way to the top. Have you ever heard all those Harleys out there. Our cars are no where near that loud. Until I see the cops pulling them over , they better not pul me over for sound.

TOTALLY agree, man!!! We DID get ticketed not for being loud (tho that's what drew the trooper's attention), but going thru a red light (which WAS turning yellow when we floored it thru--our bad)....but this is ridiculous with the Harleys where you can't even think, much less TALK when they are around...and I know there are Harley owners on this site, but talk about LOUD---they can have straight thru pipes~~~how is THAT legal????
That's a pet peeve of ours too. :mad: ~juli~

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got Venom, I tried that tactic and asked the officer, whether he thought my Viper was louder than many of the straight pipe Harley's out there and whether he ticketed all those 4" exhaust pipe imports with Careless Driving tickets? The judge immediately cautioned me without the prosecutor objecting to restrict my questioning to only the loudness of my car. I explained I was trying to compare the levels of "loudness" and was overruled (it's part of the reason I knew I was being railroaded).

I actually have the video of my stop from the trooper's camera and a complete transcript of the court session, it was a sham...but then again all my friends told me Tinton Falls, NJ was basically a communist regime when it came to traffic matters....silly me thought justice and clarity of thought existed when reasonable people discussed a matter such as this in open court.

They convicted me saying that I carelessly accelerated and that the rate of accerlation was excessive and that had I hit a magical oil spot, I might have spun out and might have caused an accident....I said that was speculation and was told I'm nearly in contempt.

I paid the $119.00 fine and have since forgiven them, but certainly not forgotten. The PBA have called many times as I used to be a regular supporter and I said we've got to recover my $10000.00 before I contribute again.....they wished me luck.

Regards,
Aaron

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As per previous posts, I have had vipers since 1994(#294..I think) and have been stopped at least a dozen times for speeding. I just remain a nice guy, add one of my business cards with the requiered information asked by the officer and off I go...or get. I cannot believe what is costs in NJ for that stuff. I was in an accident in 1995 with my suburban and totaled two cars in from of me( junkers..like a 1973 rusty Volvo). I was at fault...the lady in front of me just decided to stop and I hit her 1984 cutlass and the Volvo in from of her. I have had State Farm for 25 years and no change in premium after the accident.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got one in my Hummer H2 though!
None in my Viper a year and a half and counting...

I've gotten 2 tix in the H2 SUT, in just a couple of months. No front plate and the other one was no covers on off road lights... Covers on lights was not a fixit ticket it costs $108.00 :omg:

At LAX Wednesday night, an Airport Police tried really hard to ticket me in the H2. I called his supervisor... :rolaugh:

Hands down, Cops hate Hummers...

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've gotten 2 tickets in 10 years of Viper ownership - both while driving a Viper. The first was an HOV violation. I was on call and in a hurry to get to the hospital to tend to a bleeding patient. The traffic was backed up for over a mile so I moved into the HOV lane. Not more than 3 blocks ahead was a cop who motioned me over. He didn't believe my excuse and wrote me up. I guess that dressed in jeans and driving a Viper didn't help.

The second was in Arizona during my trip from VOI8 in Dallas to the Silver State in Nevada. I was actually going between 90 and 110 the entire way on Hwy 41 so considered myself lucky to get caught at 94 in a 75. I had the Valentine on but he got me with instant on. That one goes off my record in October. The cop told me that you can be jailed if caught going over 80 in AZ.

So, I am 2 for 2.

Bob K

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Took a year and a half before my first one. I've been pulled over at least three times but only one ticket (and not for license plate). Ticket was for "failure to obey traffic signs". What was the sign I failed to obey? The one that says don't go over 45mph. I was doing 100+. Thankfully the officer did not have his radar on, at least I think that's why he didn't give me a speeding ticket.

I got that one as well. I was coming home from Mid Ohio Race track in June. $100 bucks or so and no points. I was very thankful for that, because the speeding ticket would have been bad.