Timing cover gasket replacement write up

johncbourg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have a good write on the Timing cover gasket replacement?

I already have the OEM, just know some of you produce some great write ups :2tu:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear ya, but being a Viper Owner should be enough. No worries. :D

I'll have to say that I totally agree with this statement. This is the only car forum I've ever belonged to that 'charges' people to share such information. My car forum history goes back to the mid 90s and covers several other makes of cars....including two others presently. All helpful info is freely shared. If memory serves, this forum used to operate that way as well.

Steve

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did this last year and was a PITA with the engine in the car. Good luck in finding that info you need.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I performed the replacement on my 94 but don't have a write up. It wasn't all that bad, but you do need to remove a lot of components. Make sure you remove the hood and buy/rent/own a pulley puller.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to say that I totally agree with this statement. This is the only car forum I've ever belonged to that 'charges' people to share such information. My car forum history goes back to the mid 90s and covers several other makes of cars....including two others presently. All helpful info is freely shared. If memory serves, this forum used to operate that way as well.

Steve

Unfortunately it is becoming more common. the Charger ForumZ require a payment to fully access their site.

One of the Turbo Dodge sites also require a payment to fully access their site too. I have run accross other sites from time to time that I didnt keep track of that require payment. Helps pay the bills?

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IMHO, I think VCA should lower the membership fees and require everyone to be a member to access this forum. I'd wager to say with a yearly fee of around $40, I think it would bring in as much or more revenue than optional memberships that are more than double the price. Just my thought.

Why don't the non-members start doing their own writeups on "how tos" and such? That way the write up can be available to anyone. I don't think mods can move a non-member's writeup to a member only forum, can they?

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is becoming more common. the Charger ForumZ require a payment to fully access their site.

One of the Turbo Dodge sites also require a payment to fully access their site too. I have run accross other sites from time to time that I didnt keep track of that require payment. Helps pay the bills?

These are both Dodge sites you're referencing. I was referring to Ford, Cadillac, SAAB, VW, Honda, Infiniti. With the potential exception of personal storage space, those sites offer just as much technology as here....at least all that I need or would use. I believe this site is pretty much self sufficient from ad revenue (08 statement) . Ironically, do it yourself write ups actually detract some potential income from some of the same vendors who support this website.

IMHO, I think VCA should lower the membership fees and require everyone to be a member to access this forum. I'd wager to say with a yearly fee of around $40, I think it would bring in as much or more revenue than optional memberships that are more than double the price. Just my thought.

Why don't the non-members start doing their own writeups on "how tos" and such? That way the write up can be available to anyone. I don't think mods can move a non-member's writeup to a member only forum, can they?

The local chapters currently get $52 out of the total dues(used to be $55). Dropping to $40 would eliminate all local disbursement....and then some. The 1/4 ly mag is in the dues structure too, but we don't get a discount on it so that could easily be ordered separately. Anyone can have a subscription to the mag ...Viper owner or not)......at least that's how it was. ....not sure how it's going to work in the future.

It shouldn't matter if you're a member or non member for posting a 'how to.' I would hate to think that if I posted a write up about anything ....in these general forums...that it would be moved to the 'locked' write up section without my approval.

Steve

V

Venomiss

VCA Membership for newbies is prorated.

Standard Level for 2010 is $115 (but if you join during Apr-June 2010 it is $95)

Venom Level for 2010 is $150 (but if you join during Apr-June it is $130.)

http://www.viperclub.org/regions/vca...pplication.pdf

and it's a little cheaper after July 1st.;)

Please join us and thank you for helping support this site.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have a good write on the Timing cover gasket replacement?

I already have the OEM, just know some of you produce some great write ups :2tu:

I did this 3 years ago. I don't remember the exact detail, but do remember a couple things. We did it at my mechanics garage on a lift (highly recommended). My records show about 6 hours. I was the assistant.

If you're crank is pinned....put the pin in after the crank seal is in. We made the mistake of sliding the crank seal over the pin. It tore the seal slightly as evidenced by the oil on my garage floor that night.....had to replace the seal

Also....remove the oil adapter assembly instead of disconnecting the hoses. It gives you a little more room to wrestle things around down there. We had a hard time getting the hose fittings started again. ....might not have had to replace the crank seal if we had a little more room the first time around.

Steve

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Obe of these days I will get my membership fee in. Just been busy adjusting to having a new house and work cut backs. I do think though maybe the VCA should lump in non paying members who contribute a lot of info and are currently active with the site. Like for example if your posting almost every day more than once. Don't know how that could be monitored but something of that nature would be cool to see. Cause it would be some sort of recognition for being loyal and active to the site. But I know, that would be also an expense. I do understand the fee pans out tin paying for the subscription to the mag and what not. Just as long as I don't hear that viper owners like myself would not be allowed to attend a VCA event or group gathering. That would be plain mean! Lol but there had been some clubs I have participated in previous cars I had owned in the past that would apply rules such as what I just mention. It's understandable if it's a closed meeting with officers in the groups or chapters. But still I have also seen some bring a friend or family member and they had to turn back around or leave the event! Crazy but some organizations do that. The day I finally have time to participate in a group get together would be so awesome. Even though I have a very few fellow viper owners I do get to hang with. Nothing would be so awesome to see more that 3 vipers. I see the pics of some events you guys have and I am so jealous and envious. And sometimes when I did have time and did get invite to come I felt like my car was not good enough to be around you guys. Cause everyone had done so much and at the time mie was just a plain stock viper. Which technically it still is but I had added a lit of cosmetic things here and there and customize it to where it does almost stands out on it's own. I hope the next time I have a chance I don't let my anxiety get the best of me. I also think some would make fun of my car or wont appreciate what I have done. I would hate to make the trip and face something like that!! Maybe I just worry about nothing! But that's just me! :)

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come to the next GA event(30+ cars there) and find out. It's July 31 in Dalton, GA. Probably be a caravan coming up from Macon and/or Atlanta that morning.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a ton of pics from my engine build and many write ups to get to but I will add replacing the timing chain cover gasket to the list. I did in on the ground with a jack as needed with excellent tips from the Viper Wizard. Unfortunately I won't be able to get to the write ups for some time, probably a few weeks. But if you're in a rush I suggest giving Chuck Tator a call 914-763-9507 as he can explain the process and give you some tips. Member or not he's a wealth of information and parts.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need to pop the front seal out once you get the cover off. Need to do this so when you reinstall the cover, you can visually verify the oil pump drive has properly engaged the detents in the crank snout. Once you have verified the oil pump is properly seated, you reinstall a new front crank snout seal. Seal is around $15.00.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep, plan on doing the front crank seal, oilfilter adapter gasket, and waterpump gasket while your in there:2tu:

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Be ready for some grunt work breaking the balancer center bolt loose. 5 foot breakover will work fine. The car will creep on you, even with it in gear and the parking brake set. Just keep getting a bite on it and sooner or later it will break loose, the bolt that is. Keep the socket centered as the height of the bolt head is very short and the socket will slip off of it easily.
As Steve said above, take the oil adapter off before removing the cover. As mentioned, those oil hoses can be a PITA to put back on straight without leaking. I didn't see it mentioned but take the water pump off as well. You'll play hell wrestling the timing chain cover up and out of there with it on. It will bump the cross member. Use silicon sealer on both sides of the cover gasket. Be careful with the cam sensor which is mounted in the cover itself. Clean the areas good around the water ports to ensure a good seal around them. Don't want water to make its way in to the oil. Cover guide pins should stay in the block. Replace crank seal, regardless. Cheap. As mentioned, best to put new one on after the cover is back on. Can't think of anything else. Good luck!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be ready for some grunt work breaking the balancer center bolt loose. 5 foot breakover will work fine. The car will creep on you, even with it in gear and the parking brake set. Just keep getting a bite on it and sooner or later it will break loose, the bolt that is. Keep the socket centered as the height of the bolt head is very short and the socket will slip off of it easily.

+1 That, And make sure to torque to spec(250ft/lbs) with red lockitie when putting her back together.
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/623862-crank-pulley-spun-off-even-pins.html

OP
OP
J

johncbourg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are awesome.

I called Chuck Tator, great guy.

I will replace the crank seal, oil filter adapter gasket, water pump gasket, and oil pan gasket too ( I have the old style)

I just bought the 2 tools for the cranks seal:

1.) Crankshaft Removal Tool C-4679A
2.) Crankshaft Seal Installing Tool MD998306

What puller should I get for the Vibration Damper?

Last edited:

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where did you get the tools? From Chuck? I'm going through the same process as I am changing out my heads and cam. I was hoping to use generic pullers and installers that can be rented from autozone. maybe not such a good idea, though.

OP
OP
J

johncbourg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Steve said above, take the oil adapter off before removing the cover. As mentioned, those oil hoses can be a PITA to put back on straight without leaking. I didn't see it mentioned but take the water pump off as well. You'll play hell wrestling the timing chain cover up and out of there with it on. It will bump the cross member. Use silicon sealer on both sides of the cover gasket. Be careful with the cam sensor which is mounted in the cover itself. Clean the areas good around the water ports to ensure a good seal around them. Don't want water to make its way in to the oil. Cover guide pins should stay in the block. Replace crank seal, regardless. Cheap. As mentioned, best to put new one on after the cover is back on. Can't think of anything else. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice:2tu:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Or just use an impact to remove the bolt. I would remove the crossmember too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss