Tire for Gen 2

switch527

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm doing some shopping for a new pair of shoes for my 2001 RT/10 and I wanted something a little more aggressive than the Extreme Contact Sports and less aggressive than the R888Rs. I found Extreme Contact Force in 345/35ZR18 for the rears and was wondering if anyone is running those or knows if that change in size is going to be problematic.

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m sure they are great tires, Porsche and Mercedes use Continentals. But one thing I saw would put me off of these, they only come with 7/16“ of tread, the standard is 9/16”. Tires are shot at 4/16”.

A recommendation would be to see if you can get Michelin Pilot Sports (NOT Cup 2). They come with 9/16” and last a good 15K miles, I’ve had several sets. COVID shut the factory and sizes had been impossible to get but maybe that’s over now, IDK.

Last edited:

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a sore topic for me. I bot a new 2000 GTS w/Pilot Sports. Those tires were good for 30-40k of street driving.

RIP Pilot Sports.
I just went through this with my Gen III 18” and 19”. The Pilot Sports in my sizes are not discontinued, they just don’t have a production date. Call Michelin and ask about your sizes.

For me the answer was to switch to the Pilot Sport 4S, it’s a greatly improved version, yet still it has a similar look. This is a great new tire option! I usually buy from Discount Tires but I was traveling and took a chance on Pep Boys, they had the best price and the service was top notch. To top it off they offer very affordable Road Hazard Warranty, about $35-$40.