Tires in Rain

3SXVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to see if this is a common issue or if have some other issue.

Drove in the rain last weekend with my Pilot Sports in my 2004 and was unable to keep traction at anything above 45 MPH on the highway. Car kept wanting to spin on the pavement. Tires still have good thread on them.

Is this a common issue with these factory tires or is it maybe a differential issue? I know the tires aren't always liked.
Scary to say the least when it was happening, not to mention extremely aggrevating.

Thanks in advance for any guidence

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock run-flats = hazardous to your health and those around you. Pirelli P Zeros are excellent in the rain and overall the best replacement tire you can buy.

How are you Austin? I was talking about you the other night since I want to use this picture on a flyer. You are the master of photoshopping. By the way you won't see this car ever sporting run craps.

You must be registered for see images

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2004 car, probably 2003 tires...
your tires are 5+ years old - get rid of them!

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have PS2's, I got caught in the rain several times this year, no problem at all. They grip really good. Call JonB and get a fresh set of PS2's.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Michelin Pilot Sport ZP (runflat) is actually not a bad wet weather tire and when new should provide fairly good wet traction. As previously posted, it could be that the tires are now too old and need to be replaced. In terms of OEM street/wet weather tire sizes for your Viper, your choices basically boil down to getting a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport ZPs or the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. The latter is OEM on the 2008 Vipers and is a fantastic tire in both dry and wet.

/Rich

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Crashed a Viper when I lost control int the rain, hydroplaned with runcraps and spun out. PS1s are much better for traction in the dry.

Bought a set of PS2s from jonB and already did over 80mph in extremely heavy rain. Best tires I've had!!!

Ted

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old tires can cause DEATH, The compounds harden with age reguardless of tread depth.
On the inside of the tire is a number starting with D O T the last three digits tell when the tire was made. DOT XXXMM TDXXX 0608 ( would have been made june of 08)

:drive:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no problem with the ZP(runflats here) nearly 30,000 miles and on my third set, i have been caught in 3hr major downpour on a road trip and at highway speeds of 80-85 no problem. Like mentioned above OLD rubber is HARD rubber!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Old run flats don't do well in any weather with or without tread. They are pretty good when new.

Had one of our club members go off track this weekend with a set of old run flats (2004 car) and hit a berm. Messed the car up pretty good. Same guy ran faster 4 weeks ago on PS2's without any issues.

Not sure why he switched back for the event but should have thrown them away.

Call JonB

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I get 130+ inches of rain a year. ELEVEN FEET. I pace at PIR-Portland wet or dry, and I drive there.
I can brag and say I probably have more wet-laps in Vipers than anyone.

The scariest new (treaded) tires I have run wet are PIRELLI P-Zero Assymetrico, in FLA on GaryL's car. Sport Cups are even better than P-zero, and they are not great in the wet.

New ZP runflats are very good in the wet.... but older = crummy, even with good tread.

Some of the BEST rain tires Ive ever used were the now defunct MXX-3.... and now the PS-2. PS2 is flat-out AMAZING, dry or wet. A phenominal tire.

THAT SAID: If you have some brands of aftermarket WHEELS they can collect and pool water on the inner barrel and spokes, get BADLY out of balance, and 'hop' you right off the road.......the balance changes with wind and cornering as the pooled water changes. FRIGHTENING!!

OP
OP

3SXVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted to give a follow up on this.
When I posted on it I was out of town away from my car. Since then after lifting it in the air I found the tires were the originals with over 30K on them :omg:
I had assumed they had been changed, but that's what get for assuming and they are near tread bars (hard to see on ground)- no wonder they didn't like being in the rain :)

Thanks for everyones help, and I apologize for not more throughly examining before posting. Time to get some other tires.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted to give a follow up on this.
When I posted on it I was out of town away from my car. Since then after lifting it in the air I found the tires were the originals with over 30K on them :omg:
I had assumed they had been changed, but that's what get for assuming and they are near tread bars (hard to see on ground)- no wonder they didn't like being in the rain :)

Thanks for everyones help, and I apologize for not more throughly examining before posting. Time to get some other tires.
Just glad that you or anyone around didnt get hurt. Count your blessings. Get the tires like yesterday man. When I found out I will be driving in the rain without choice in hawaii the tires were already on the way. It is the safest insurance you can possibly purchase. Not saying you should not be careful, but they are much better than the stockers, especially with that many miles :omg:

OP
OP

3SXVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just glad that you or anyone around didnt get hurt. Count your blessings. Get the tires like yesterday man. When I found out I will be driving in the rain without choice in hawaii the tires were already on the way. It is the safest insurance you can possibly purchase. Not saying you should not be careful, but they are much better than the stockers, especially with that many miles :omg:

Exactly right. Here is a killer deal I picked a set up off of. They are new, but don't know how old they are, but for the price it is worth seeing. There are still 4 sets left for those who need tires- I did think of buying them all myself, but want to help out my fellow Viper peeps :)

eBay Motors: 345 30 ZR 19 (2) MICHELIN PILOT SPORT TIRE TIRES NEW (item 350095449472 end time Sep-11-08 11:44:20 PDT)

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want to make sure and change out the fronts as well. You dont want to run runflats in front and non-runflats in the rear.

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old tires can cause DEATH, The compounds harden with age reguardless of tread depth.
On the inside of the tire is a number starting with D O T the last three digits tell when the tire was made. DOT XXXMM TDXXX 0608 ( would have been made june of 08)

:drive:

I recent years (since 2000, I think), the last 4 digits are the date code. The first two digits are the week of manufacture, not the month. If you check the code on a few tires, I'm sure you'll see a number higher than 12 - which by definition means the number can't represent the month. The last two digits are, indeed, the year. For example, if the code is 2607, the date of manufacture is the 26th week of 2007.

Prior to the 4 digit code, it was a three digit code with the first two numbers denoting the week and the last number stating the year.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
That's how I understand it too, Phoenix, week / year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather