Tomorrow I pickup my 04 Viper!!! Driving it 600 miles any suggestions!

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tomorrow I will be picking up my 04 Viper from Dan Deery Dodge and driving it back to northern Ohio! To say the least I'm excited! Some people already think I'm crazy for not trailering my car for the voyage-but heck I'm buying this thing to drive it!! I've seen some temporary carpet protector that people have put on the front of their cars to protect it on a transport trip and some blue painters tape creativity. I have no intention of putting on a clear bra and was wondering-what works for temporary protection. I'd hate to get the cars first rock chip on it's maiden voyage. I'm glad to finally join the crew-next step-viper club membership!

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be afraid to put something temporary on the front end that might come loose during the trip. It might cause more problems. I say don't worry about it since you're not going to add a clear bra anyway. It's going to get a few nicks eventually...just enjoy the trip :drive:. Oh yeah...Congratulations :2tu:.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to home depot or Lowes and in the carpet section you will find some good stuff to use. its called carpet mask. its is clear and used primarly on carpet stairs because it sticks real well and does not leave a residue. one tube will give you 100 sq ft, plenty and enough to do your carpet mats on the inside too. I just went out and tried a peice on my car to see if it worked ...like a charm.it will just have some air bubbles and wrinkels but that wont matter. keep it away from the lights as I dont know if it would melt.it peels right off with ease. try a small peice first and pull it off . you will see! tough. I agree on the trailor suggestion. Its your car so do what you want. just be very careful and good luck

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Congrats...hope that the weather holds up for you.

If you have trouble, post here and/or call one of us!...likely that we know someone along your route.

Enjoy your Snake!!!

OP
OP
J

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had some of the carpet protector that dealers use for temp floormats and tried it on my dd. Left some residue behind. I'll try the depot stuff. Can't be bad-Griots sells it for the same purpose.

SandViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did the same thing, I picked up a Car in Kentucky, and drove it to Northern Ohio right before I deployed. I had the maps and everything set, ended up buying a GPS along the way. :)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would worry more about the OLD run flat tires AND your tire pressures! GAS PEDAL SMOOTHENESS!!! BE SAFE, AND CONGRATS

You can also go to Target or Kmart etc. AUTOZONES, ETC and pick up 3M Spray Mask. It goes on CLEAR, hardens to a protective film that comeS off with soap and HOT water.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
CONGRATS!!! People thought I was nuts and even the dealer! I picked mine up from West Palm Beach, FL to here in WI. Then took it out west putting 5700miles on it. I drive it, track it, and show it!

Like JonB said, those run flats are dangerous. Take it easy and if you have the cash to get get new tires right away, DO IT! Enjoy driving it. Summer is around the corner.

OP
OP
J

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would worry more about the OLD run flat tires AND your tire pressures! GAS PEDAL SMOOTHENESS!!! BE SAFE, AND CONGRATS

You can also go to Target or Kmart etc. AUTOZONES, ETC and pick up 3M Spray Mask. It goes on CLEAR, hardens to a protective film that comeS off with soap and HOT water.
Ok, is the problem that the tires may have lost some of their original properties, i.e. dried out, or is there a problem alltogether with those runflats. Thanks for the hint on the 3m mask, heading out to buy some right now. Are there any prohibitions against flying with an aerosol can? Flying out----Driving back!!

OP
OP
J

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3m Spray mask is a strikeout by me. Looks like I'm going to go the route of the carpet shield or blue painters tape. Anyone ever use either before?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Not sure just what aerosol can you are referencing...but if is a tire sealant, I would not do it...including in checked luggage. Some of those products used to have flammable propellants, all are a mess. I called AA Capt....said definitely not in cabin, wasn't sure about cargo...but also thought it was a bad idea. Buy some when you arrive.

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My advise to you driving your Viper 600 miles tomorrow.... ENJOY THE DRIVE.:D Slap some painters tape on the nose and enjoy your trip back to northern Ohio. Oh, make sure you keep the RADIO TURNED OFF. There will be enough music from the V10 and the side pipes to listen to.:D

AND, you may need to see your doctor when you get back. He'll have to give you a perscription for some muscle relaxers to remove the 600 mile smile from your face.:)

PM me when you get back and we'll get you set up with the VCA Ohio Region.:2tu:

Be careful driving and congrats. Your life will never be the same!:drive:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3m Spray mask is a strikeout by me. Looks like I'm going to go the route of the carpet shield or blue painters tape. Anyone ever use either before?

You said you're buying it to drive it and now you're gonna slap on some ugly tape on the front? Do you plan on leaving the tape on for every time you drive it? If you're that worried about chips then buy a spare fascia and swap them out to repaint when they start looking bad.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you are going south down to I80 to head towards home, feel free to stop and say "HI", you will be passing right by me. PM me if you would like to share phone #'s and do lunch. Weather looks great here for tomorrow.

I should have my GTS out as well. Photo op maybe.....

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto to everything that Jon B. said about tires! Call him to order some PS2s for your new car as soon as you can. Enjoy the trip, and welcome to the insanity! :D

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the Viper Nation!

Be sure to give a good underspray wash when you get home. Dont want any salt that may still be on a road somewhere sitting under your car for too long!

Congrats as well! Be sure to post pics when you get it! :)

OP
OP
J

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I MADE IT!! One heck of a drive, but it was well worth it. Used blue tape on the front and worked like a charm, not a single nick on her maiden voyage. Drove like a dream and was a great time. The dealership was the worst dealer I've EVER dealt with bar none! Gonna go get some sleep, wake up-clean it-take pics-put on some more miles!!!Looking forward to meeting some of you guys!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I MADE IT!! One heck of a drive, but it was well worth it. Used blue tape on the front and worked like a charm, not a single nick on her maiden voyage. Drove like a dream and was a great time. The dealership was the worst dealer I've EVER dealt with bar none! Gonna go get some sleep, wake up-clean it-take pics-put on some more miles!!!Looking forward to meeting some of you guys!!

congrats, and spill !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery