Took 87 year old Grandpa for a ride - NE1 ever have someone older in the car?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My last surviving grandparent out of six was in town this week and I finally got to take him for a ride in the Viper (he is tall so getting him in and out was a task). His mind is sharp as a tack and his body is still doing darn good so I hammered him with a couple of short 30-80 mph blasts (running well in nice cool air) and some quick launches. It was nice to hear a guy who walked across Germany in the spring of 1945 and was in-country when they signed the Armistice say he had never experienced anything like it. Was one of those moments where if he goes before the next time he comes to town and visits I'll be at the funeral thinking about how I got to take Gramps for a ride. Anyone ever have someone older than 87 in their Viper?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an older person in my car once, my father at 49. LOL! But in all honesty, never had anyone over that age in the car. None have ever asked and I would be scared to give them a heart attack.

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My last surviving grandparent out of six was in town this week and I finally got to take him for a ride in the Viper (he is tall so getting him in and out was a task). His mind is sharp as a tack and his body is still doing darn good so I hammered him with a couple of short 30-80 mph blasts (running well in nice cool air) and some quick launches. It was nice to hear a guy who walked across Germany in the spring of 1945 and was in-country when they signed the Armistice say he had never experienced anything like it. Was one of those moments where if he goes before the next time he comes to town and visits I'll be at the funeral thinking about how I got to take Gramps for a ride. Anyone ever have someone older than 87 in their Viper?

That is awesome man!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my sister for a ride in my car one time, she had never been in any kind of a "hot rod". She was only 48 going in, but about 85 coming out.... :ooo:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 4 years ago, I was visiting an older friend with cancer...he has since died. His older brother from Colorado was there also to see him. His brother was in his mid 70's. As I was getting ready to leave my friend asked if I would give his brother a ride. I guess he was a car guy of sorts in his earlier years. I said sure. We left the house and I guess I hit it a little earlier than he expected(1st gear..about 25MPH). He hollered out: "My Back, my back." He thought he might have to see a chiropractor before flying back to Colorado the next day, but he sure had a big smile on his face when the ride was over.

I had given my friend a much more gentle ride, oxygen bottle and all, the visit before. He was 73 or so then.

Steve

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mother is 80, she gets frequent rides in my 607HP NX Viper.
She was around 75 when she wanted a ride on my Harley too!

Nowdays she wants no more Nitrous.... Must be the age?? :D

Does she like the Viper? You'll jugde that of her smile...

3114Mondamin1_055-med.jpg

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all,

While not the oldest on this thread, I have taken my mother out several times in the Viper (she's 64). She enjoys the acceleration and speed. I've had the car up to 125 mph a few times with her. She gets a real kick out of it. I've also taken her on the Fall Foliage Run we have in New Hampshire. And, she's always willing to go for a "death ride".
Proof positive that some things are genetic!

Paul :2tu:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's lots of fun to take the Grandparents out in the Viper! They seem to feel the speed more! :D

What's even more amazing is Eugene Jaffe, whom up until a couple years ago, was still driving his RT/10 at in his mid 80's!
Wooden blocks on the pedals so he could reach them!

Awesome! :2tu:

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took a friends mother for a ride in the '93, she was also 87 at the time. I gave her a spurt from 80 to 120 which didn't bother her at all. She told me she had never gone faster than her age, I thought that was cute. Of course she had to have pictures to show and brag to her kids and grandkids. She is 94 now and I would welcome the chance to give her another. I think I enjoyed it more.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mother-in-law used to help my husband set up his GTO's for street racing. These were her fondest memories.

His goal was to have her take a ride in my Viper. She died the Spring before I bought my Viper.

When he visited her grave recently, he told her that I had gotten a Viper, knowing that she would have loved to wrench on that as well.

Never delay what cannot be replaced.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Friend's father, 96 years young. Sharp as a tack and still drives his own car. Had him in both the Viper and Cobra and he loved both.

You must be registered for see images
:usa:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Took 87 year old Grandpa for a ride - NE1 ever have someone older in th

I let my father 84 drive my Viper. He's owned all the great vettes over the years. I thought he love driving the dodge V10. He drove it for about 10 minutes and it scared the $hit out of him . He never asked to drive it again.

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Took 87 year old Grandpa for a ride - NE1 ever have someone older in th

These are great stories!

BigWavDaV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Really cool article! I'm sure this made this man's day,, Can you believe that guy that ripped off the family's $, he deserves a back seat ride in a Pinto during a rear ending!!!!!