Took a look at a new Gen V yesterday.

Rated R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to a local dealer to check out the Gen V as I hadn't seen one in the flesh. Nice gray color with no stripes GTS model, high 130's sticker. I walk inside to the showroom and was immediately greeted by a sales guy. I walk over to the Viper they had a 'do not touch' sign on the window, the car is also locked. I'm chatting with the sales guy about the car and ask if he could go get the keys so I can take a look at it inside. He said he could probably do that and comes right back with the keys. He opened the door, I kneel to look inside and ask if I could sit in it and he says "are you going to buy it?" I laughed and said "well if I were to I'd probably want to at least sit in it first" lol. I expected this sort of treatment as these guys are used to selling pickups, Darts and Avengers. What's amazing is I can go and test drive a car of the same price at any Porsche, Audi, Merc dealer without this sort of BS. Ford dealers do this kind of crap with their Shelbys too. His demeanor was like I was wasting his time, I couldn't afford it etc. There was nobody in the showroom either.

Anyway, I sat in it and I just can't understand how these cars will sell. I'm a 6'0 200# average build and average Joe sized fella, my line of sight was at the sun visor at the top of the windshield and there is absolutely no headroom in that car after adjusting the seat to the floor. Sure glad I didn't order one beforehand. For me the new Viper is the most ill fitting car I've ever sat in which is unfortunate because I was seriously interested. I'm a bit of a Mopar nut having a Ram, Durango R/T and have had a Challenger SRT8 and Ram SRT-10.

So after telling him that the car just didn't fit we shook hands and I walked out. Another sales guy outside starts chatting with me about my car which is a '11 GT3. The first guy comes out and takes a pic of my car, doesn't say a word, then walks back inside....***.

So in conclusion, Ralph if you're reading, I don't really know what you can do to make headway with this problem. And it is a problem, a big one if you take a look at the competition and how they treat their customers in comparison. Perhaps a dedicated wing of Dodge dealerships specifically for SRT vehicles with sales guys who are versed in the product, and don't treat potential owners like this would be a good step to take. Suppose the car did fit and I liked the car. The next step would be to drive it, a test drive and not a cruise around the block. What would be the chances of that happening at this particular dealer with sign on it like that on the showroom floor? These dealerships are a deterrent to owning a car of this caliber.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 6'2" 200# and have no issues at all with visibility. The only issue I have is seeing red lights that are right above the car.

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure in the USA but they have separated showrooms within the dealership for the Fiat cars here in Ontario, so I can't see why they couldn't separate the premium brand SRT.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My view is at the sun visor as well. That was the first thing I noticed when I sat in the car. But if you pull the chair back and lower it all the way it helps. Plus it apparently can lower another 2 inches I believe? But I think that is a serious design flaw of this car and that is not good for tall people.

Not a deal breaker though as you would get use to it. The more I sit in the car the more I get use to it.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like the greatest of dealerships, I'm wondering if they knew how to really work all adjustments. I'm 6'4" and 195lbs, had gen2/3/4 and have spent up to tem hrs at a stretch in the gen4, no issues. When I drove the gen5 it was only an improvement. I'm wondering if the guy didn't set it correctly for you ... he may have been distracted thinking about when he could snap that pic of your car. You can also get another inch or so with a simple adjustment to the rails that takes 5 mins.

I couldn't agree more about the culture, I've experienced, probably everyone has that doesn't live near a Woodhouse or Tomball, it's a shame. I would say that Ford seems way better, I've been to a couple that pulled their GT500 off the showroom floor for me to drive with nothing more than me asking. I remember going straight from driving a turbo Porsche to the Dodge dealer and them literally laughing when I asked about a drive or at least a ride along. Left and went and bought the Porsche.

But I don't know how SRT fixes that myself, I don't know how much power they have, seem to be on a shoestring budget and under the wing of the Dodge ..

NastyGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its a sad situation

I visited the Aston Martin Dealer in Dallas while still a piss poor college kid. They treated me as if I had cash in hand and spent as much time as I wanted explaining features and the history. They even allowed me to drive the car around the block. I made it clear that I just wanted to see these cars in person. The sales manager grinned and said "just remember us when your ready to buy" as he tossed us the keys.

Vipers are rare....yes I know. We all may love the look and design features; but without actually driving the car you will never know if it fits "you". I did not get to test drive until I signed the papers.........which is stupid but I already had my mind made up on the purchase. I asked " what if I do not like it" They replied back with well.....you signed the paperwork

weeten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill have to chime in and say when I was 18, with a G2 drivers license in Canada (which is not even a full license), I went with a buddy to the Porsche dealership in Woodbridge. I pulled in with a 1994 Golf CL. They let me drive, and I mean drive, a Porsche 911 Turbo. Brand new. Testing braking. Accelerating. Everything. The salesman was INSANELY educated on Porsche, and cars in general. It was a thrill I will never forget. He sold me that day for life, because I will always remember that, no matter what. I will buy a Porsche one day. Guaranteed. Partially due to him allowing me to really experience the car and what Porsche had to offer.

I wish there was a Viper experience like that. My first drive in a Viper was following a person home, to their driveway, and basically explaining to them my love for the car and pleaded to take me for a ride. My hats off to PFAFF Porsche in Woodbridge and the fantastic sales professional who educated me in a lot of stuff that day. The Viper is a very special car. It should be treated very special.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like the greatest of dealerships, I'm wondering if they knew how to really work all adjustments. I'm 6'4" and 195lbs, had gen2/3/4 and have spent up to tem hrs at a stretch in the gen4, no issues. When I drove the gen5 it was only an improvement. I'm wondering if the guy didn't set it correctly for you ... he may have been distracted thinking about when he could snap that pic of your car. You can also get another inch or so with a simple adjustment to the rails that takes 5 mins.

I couldn't agree more about the culture, I've experienced, probably everyone has that doesn't live near a Woodhouse or Tomball, it's a shame. I would say that Ford seems way better, I've been to a couple that pulled their GT500 off the showroom floor for me to drive with nothing more than me asking. I remember going straight from driving a turbo Porsche to the Dodge dealer and them literally laughing when I asked about a drive or at least a ride along. Left and went and bought the Porsche.

But I don't know how SRT fixes that myself, I don't know how much power they have, seem to be on a shoestring budget and under the wing of the Dodge ..

Porsche knows once you drive it, you'll want it.

Sadly it isn't even just dodge. I went and looked at an RS5 after originally canceling my GenV. They laughed when I said I wanted to drive it as well - good luck with the R8 too... Local Nissan dealer had three GTR on their floor. Nope, no test drives either. Hell, even our family friend went to the local Lexus dealer that had an LFA and he wanted to test it to buy. They told him no, it wasn't even for sale, the dealership owned it... As my old man said, everything's for sale! (He bough a McLaren instead, I feel terrible for him)

But, then you have Porsche which will beg you to drive any car they have on the lot.

Sadly a lot of these guys don't get it. There wouldn't be a viper on a lot across the country if they let people test drive them. I instantly fell in love with my Gen V the first Time I drove it. Such a great joy.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just boils down to, you have guys selling cars out of their class. Even Nissan, Lexus and Audi aren't used to selling the level that Porsche and Aston are.

I think a lot if it has to do with self selection. How many people looking at a Dart may pick up a Viper? Yet, someone grabbing a 911S could afford a GT3.

But I think Porsche also knows, though you may not be able to afford that 911 today, in 20 years you may and you will ALWAYS remember who let you go for a test drive, Porsche.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The driving position I'm sure could be worked out, once I removed the 1" stops on the bottom of the seat I now fit perfectly in mine. I wish the shopping experience so many are reporting about was as easy as unscrewing a couple bolts...

Find a local who's purchased one who's removed the stops on the seat for a second test fit and then talk with one of the big dealers who will treat you right. You won't be disappointed then.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are plenty of Porsche cars at most of the dealerships. Vipers are a lot more rare and many dealers have only one or two cars. Why would a dealer allow test drives? I would not buy a Viper that was a dealer demo, and most of the guys here who actually bought the G5 feel the same way. Allow test drives and pretty soon the dealer has a new Viper with several hundred miles on it. Every guy who takes a picture of your new G5 would probably like to take a test drive, too. How's that gunna work out? Every guy who took a look at a new G5 yesterday wants to take a test drive! As far as sitting in the car goes, that's okay---but take your shoes off. It only takes a second for a careless person to drag their heel and scratch the painted sill...

Bill

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of a sudden I am pretty happy about being 5'7" and a buck-sixty.. :-D Only 200 more miles and an oil change and it'll be ready to be whooped on.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im 6,4' and the car fits like a glove...like a race car should..... I bought mine new off the showroom floor and Im glad they didnt let everyone sit in it.....would you want 300 ASS miles on your brand new Viper before you bought it.. I think not......Not with this beautiful soft leather interior..... Go buy a corvette or stay in your GEN 50 Porsche , they are much more comfortable for you as they are overdesigned for the "Masses"...and you'll fit right in with all those other winey ass complainers.....

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are plenty of Porsche cars at most of the dealerships. Vipers are a lot more rare and many dealers have only one or two cars. Why would a dealer allow test drives? I would not buy a Viper that was a dealer demo, and most of the guys here who actually bought the G5 feel the same way. Allow test drives and pretty soon the dealer has a new Viper with several hundred miles on it. Every guy who takes a picture of your new G5 would probably like to take a test drive, too. How's that gunna work out? Every guy who took a look at a new G5 yesterday wants to take a test drive! As far as sitting in the car goes, that's okay---but take your shoes off. It only takes a second for a careless person to drag their heel and scratch the painted sill...

Bill

Bill is exactly right.
Every guy who can barely afford a Neon would be looking to take a test drive if allowed.
They will sell their one or two allottment eventually and don't need the extra 75 miles on the car.
I'll bet you even the big time Viper dealers don't allow it unless under special circumstances (previous sale or known customer to the dealer).

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are a lot more Porches than Vipers in dealers showrooms, period. I could take any Vipers including the owner/dealer's own cars [ he has 4 ] except the brand new 2013 he just got in. I can sit in it ,start it up and fiddle with. It boils down they want to give the car to its new owner without some test pilot miles on the car, especially when they have only one at the moment. When he'll have a used one or a demo ,I'll be test driving it for sure.:drive:

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My inseam is 31". Longer torso may be the issue.

OMG!! I posted the same here on a previous thread and was beat up ********* style.

How dare i say I could not see out the windshield and say the roof overhang was too dam low !!

How dare I say that I could not close the door because of my BROAD SHOULDERS ( my waist and leg room was perfect)

I weigh 290 and am 6'2".

and the members who say they are my size then post and say they fit are LAIRS !!

Keep posting and you will soon discover that this forum has quite a few members that LIE quite a bit.

I spoke to someone who knows Ralph Gilles and told me that Ralph is quite a small guy in person.

I guess he designed the car to attract other brand buyers who are also slim and smaller like him......whatever !!!

My biggest gripe was that my 1997 Viper GTS has more room for me across the shoulders. The new Gen 5 is NARROWER at the shoulder area from door panel to door panel.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't want a car that has a lot of test miles either which is why they should only let people who have the means do a 1-3 mile test drive up to about 10 miles then pull it off. This is what BMW does for the M6 at my local dealer. I mean do u all really care if u buy the car with 4 miles or 10? Honestly

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rated R states he owns a Porsche GT3, which is the target buyer for "new" crossover owners that SRT is looking for.

He went to view the Viper.

He was disappointed with the dealer reception and the ergonomics of the car

He left without a smile on his face and is no longer interested in the Viper.

FAILURE for SRT ..... as many members have posted.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rated R I like your Dodge stable in your post but having a 2011 GT3 Porsche is really awesome and a great car. Think twice before getting rid of that one if that is your plan.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rated R, have you ever ridden or driven any previous Gen 3 or 4 Vipers? Seating and view outside are identical. The car feels very claustrophobic for first-timers, but that feeling goes away after a few minutes behind the wheel. The windshield top is indeed low, that is just part of the Viper feel. As mentioned, that only affects you when you are first in line at a red light, it makes it hard to see the light. Other than that, no issues at all.

As for the dealerships, they are all different. SRT really needs its own separate department, targeted to a higher clientele base.

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the feeling about the sub par treatment from dealerships. When I first went to look at the Gen5 at a local dealer which I purchased my Rubicon and Durango R/T from, I received the same type of crap. Granted I was only driving a 96 GTS when I went there, but the new one was in the garage and they wouldn't even unlock the doors to have a look inside. The salesman was talking to a potential older buyer as I was looking at it and for that matter quoting mostly bullish!t to him, but wouldn't give me the time of day. I am 38, but i guess looked like a young tire kicker to him. When my wife decided she would rather have the purple SRT challenger in the showroom, it kind of told me what her thoughts were on the car. If and when I decide to purchase a new one, I will make the drive to Roanoke, I would rather stick with a dealer that lives these cars, not just treats there tiny allotment as gold.

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I am 6'2" 200# and have no issues at all with visibility. The only issue I have is seeing red lights that are right above the car.
I have the opposite problem of you guys..I'm 5 ft even! and so when I got to peer in the window (the car was locked of course..LOL) of a launch edition... that driver's seat looked awful low and deep!
So I went out and bought a few pillows!
Hopefully they'll do the trick if need be!

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipernut, I am 5'7" and have to raise the seat. LOL But it raises enough for a perfect fit. I guess being sawed off like you and I ain't all bad. :)

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the opposite problem of you guys..I'm 5 ft even! and so when I got to peer in the window (the car was locked of course..LOL) of a launch edition... that driver's seat looked awful low and deep!
So I went out and bought a few pillows!
Hopefully they'll do the trick if need be!
Anymore news yet on yours?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to go to 4 dealers before I was able to sit in one. It's understandable though... It's like walking up to a hot dog truck and asking to sample the only piece of prime rib he has on the rare day he has one on the grill. The last sales guy I spoke to said he loves the car too but it's just not for taller guys. Oh well I knew all that humiliation I suffered being picked last for basketball in gym class would have an up side one day:lmao:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HogWhisperer:3199671 said:
Vipernut, I am 5'7" and have to raise the seat. LOL But it raises enough for a perfect fit. I guess being sawed off like you and I ain't all bad. :)

As I recall, you ARE all bad... :D.

Congrats on the new car and be sure to let -RUNNR sit in it. Let us know when you air it out for the first time!

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! I have 350 miles on it and intend to get the other 150 on it this weekend and have it in the shop for new oil early Monday morning. You can bet there will be some ripped up asphalt between here and San Angelo Monday. LOL I took it for a fairly spirited drive today out in the twisties. Pretty amazing how good it felt in 5th @ 4,000 rpm. I'll make sure Don is one of my first passengers.