Took the 2001 out for her first ever 1/4 mile passes!

azvipermike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Track: Speedworld AZ
Temp: 105F
Track Prep not great!

First pass 12.5 @114 mph
Second pass 12.0 @115.5

Bone stock on street tires!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just having fun ey! :D

Ive never taken my car to a Drag strip, i would be worried about the clutch or breaking something. So out of interest, what tires were you running? did you play around with pressures?

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those are good numbers, like asked above, what tires are you running and what psi. Have you had much track time in others cars? I am hoping to get mine to the track for the first time in the spring. And i am hopign for your kind of numbers. Good job.

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the record time and trap speed in a stock Gen I or II Viper? I would have thought the trap speed to be higher.

Definitely nothing to sneeze at for the first time out, great runs.

OP
OP
A

azvipermike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am running sport cups at 18psi. yes i have about 1000 1/4 mile passes undr my belt over the past 20 years. Actually launching this car was easier than my 07 Z06. I have all stock car and my 60ft was a 1.97 on the 12.0 run and 2.1 on the 12.5 run.

I would have thought the trap would be higher but my Z06 trapped 124 on an 11.3 pass for a stock car.

OP
OP
A

azvipermike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just having fun ey! :D

Ive never taken my car to a Drag strip, i would be worried about the clutch or breaking something. So out of interest, what tires were you running? did you play around with pressures?

you will not break these cars with a sensible launch and know when to get out of it if you get wheel hop. I only launched at 2500 rpm and she hooked and with cooler temps and good track prep i think i can get this car in the 11.5 to 11.7 range!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't remember ever seeing any automotive publication touting a 12 flat with a stock Gen2 car so nice job !

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first ever run on a 1/4 mile track, filters and smooth tubes, 4 year old PS1's, i ran 12.0 @ 119.x

im far from a capable track rat. 115 seems low to me.

EDIT, forgot to mention the second run ever was a perfect launch but the 1st to 2nd gear shift had me about 90 degrees to the left looking at the wall...lol i let off and coasted to the end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

azvipermike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes i feel the 115 mph was low also but maybe it was track sensors who knows. Not going back until the heat clears here.

OP
OP
A

azvipermike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is what it is! My c5 z06 was said to be a 12.5 car and i ran 11.97 all day on street tires. My C6 z06 in Arizona here is able to go 11.34 and my buddies also stock has run a best of 11.01. The published numbers are not real as they do not put the cars to the real test!

I feel with a set of tires and cold air and correct track prep i can get this car into the 11's! Did not buy the car for this purpose as my C6 Z06 would hand my GTS it's ass in a race for sure. I got this for the exotic looks and to fill a childhood dream.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is what it is! My c5 z06 was said to be a 12.5 car and i ran 11.97 all day on street tires. My C6 z06 in Arizona here is able to go 11.34 and my buddies also stock has run a best of 11.01. The published numbers are not real as they do not put the cars to the real test!

I feel with a set of tires and cold air and correct track prep i can get this car into the 11's! Did not buy the car for this purpose as my C6 Z06 would hand my GTS it's ass in a race for sure. I got this for the exotic looks and to fill a childhood dream.

hey thats cool. I always thought that the 1/4 mile times were the times that the best of the best drivers did with it. as in no regular human being would ever get those times.

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

Saw you the other day at Cars & Coffee. Car looks great! My '01 RT ran 12.2X at 117.XX at Speedworld a couple of years ago. I think I trapped 118 on a slightly slower pass. I had to launch it just under 2000 rpm to keep it from spinning. If you have some tires that will hold this thing, watch out! I have smooth tubes/K&N's and a Corsa exhaust.

Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang