Top Gear Video SRT10-C vs BMW Z4M

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Complete utter rubbish....Just when I thought Clarkson was finally getting it he goes and stages this crap...Its obvious to anyone that either the guy in the Snake is garbage compared to the Stig or it was all for Clarksons whim...No way in hell a Z4 could out drag a Viper...That sprint to the finish line was staged...I think Clarkson does this to get under Americans skin..He knows we hate his biased views and gets a kick out of it...He lost me after he said the Vipers brakes are crap..

Look at the VIR C&D article from a few months back...The Cayman S is faster than the Z4 around a track as a few test have shown...The Viper was faster than the Cayman S by almost 9 seconds at VIR...Nuff said...

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Calling out Clarkson! Calling out Clarkson!

IF your mom will let you come out and play, the Viper Nation challenges you to best of 10 timed laps contest, at any track ViperDays goes to, you in a BMW Z4M, and a ViperRacingLeague driver in a SRT Coupe.

Winner gets bragging rights, loser apologizes for being an idiot with an overly large head..

Red Coachwhip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool photography (but even then, sub-par for Top Gear standards). Other than that...

¡RUBBISH!

Clarkson used so many lines from the SRT-10 review, that it should be a shame as a journalist. And I can't believe that he praised so much the convertible and dissed so much the coupe. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Well, at least this comes in a pretty bad DVD (from what I've heard), which won't be seen by so many, and it isn't airing on Top Gear, which is viewed by millions.

Well, just wait until he gets his hands on the 8.4L engine, and hear him shout "POWAAAAAAAA!" and contradict himself... :rolleyes:

Ghetto2315

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can also search it on google and download it. search "Top Gear Viper Z4"

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I couldn't access the video, but from what I gather from this thread is that Top Gear is saying the Z4M is faster on a road course than a Viper????? I owned a 2002 M3 which is just about as fast as the the Z4M and I can say with absolute certainty that it ain't even close. A Viper would SMOKE a Z4M on anything longer than autocross course.

What has this guy got against Vipers?

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the lap times and I agree a bunch of ****. I guess now we know who helps fund the show. Also don;t forget that the Viper was raced on a very WET track. I saw the video , it was hard for the Stig to hook up.

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/

There's also a blurb on the site about a guy who will smash his Viper for money.

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/392/

[*****]

I think this is an North American broadcast. [*****]??? Not for the weak hearted!!

We'll I guess we know what they think of the Viper in the UK. But on the last Top gear program, they had only good things to say about the Viper.

Patrick :2tu:

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are the lap times and I agree a bunch of ****. I guess now we know who helps fund the show. Also don;t forget that the Viper was raced on a very WET track. I saw the video , it was hard for the Stig to hook up.

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/

There's also a blurb on the site about a guy who will smash his Viper for money.

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/392/

][*****]

I think this is an North American broadcast. [*****]??? Not for the weak hearted!!

We'll I guess we know what they think of the Viper in the UK. But on the last Top gear program, they had only good things to say about the Viper.

Patrick :2tu:

I saw the video where they timed the Viper on a wet track. How can they represent that as an indication of the Vipers track capabilities without so much as a footnote??? How many other cars on the list were tested on a wet track? Makes their stats completly meaningless.

And this is supposed to be a respected source of automotive evaluation??? PLEASE.....

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, the driver in the viper drove about twice as far as the Z4. He wasn't even close to the line on most corners. I have no idea what was going on....

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Funny how when Motor Trend had the Viper out at Willow Springs it did a 1.01.15

Virtual Test:

http://release.theplatform.com/content.s...serName=Unknown

And at the end of the Top Gear test they said it did 1.42 around Willow Springs. Different Configurations Maybe?

Willow Springs has two tracks, "The Big Track", lots of high speed turns, and "The Streets of Willow", tighter and slower.

Stock Gen2 Vipers do around 1:30-1:35 on the big track, depending on the driver. Any Viper lapping quicker than about 1:32 usually has at least some kind of mod, be it StopTechs, track alignment, Hoosiers, etc. A very good driver, with full race alignment, Hoosiers, Stop Techs, lotza seat time, and maybe a Quaiffe will get you into the very high 20s. I've never seen any truly bone stock Gen2 breaking 1:30, but theres always a first time.

It was the Streets of Willow, (the shorter track), where Motor Trend did their SRT Coupe/ZO6/GT500 testing.
And at the end of the Top Gear test they said it did 1.42 around Willow Springs.
1:42? Thats the kind of time newbies with no prior track experience of any sort run on their very first day, at WillowSprings. You can do a 1:42 with no seat time whatsoever. I did a 1:44 my first lap there, 5 minutes later 1:42, two hours later, 1:38, 10 hours later, 1:36, etc. Thats the way the learning curve goes at WS. What car ran a 1:42, the Viper? If so, thats a shame for the driver. But it would be understandable, if that time was for the Z4. Thats about right for a tame, (yet slightly sporty) car with no real ballz.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just watched the whole clip, and I have to say, wrong as he is, Clarkson IS entertaining. Its just too bad that he misrepresents what a Viper can do.

1:42 on the big track is just BULLSH*T! I'm not a track rat per se, as I've just had a small taste of tracking, but I can do at least a 1:35, possibly better, in the SRT Coupe. Last time I did the big track at Willow in my GTS, I was turning 1:36s, lap after lap, all within a second or two of each other. To break through that plateau, I was going to have to get comfortable hanging it out until the Pilot Sports were barking through turn 2 and turn 8. (I've got lots of time to make up there!) Then 1:35 would fall, then 1:34, etc. What I'm saying here is, whoever they had turning a 1:42 in the SRT Coupe has absolutely NO idea about how to drive a Viper fast. Period. (Musta been done by some guy right off the street) You can do a 1:42 in any number of mundane daily drivers, like a Nissan Altima, V6 Mustang, etc. 1:42 is just loafing around Willow. Anybody can do that. Who was that guy they had driving the SRT Coupe? Some guy they found at McDonalds, with nothing better to do? He supposedly knows the Big Track "very well", according to Clarkson. Thats patently ridiculous. Anyone who knows WS "very well" could do a 1:42 in a freeking TAXI!

The "dead heat" result is totally wrong, total BULLSH*T. The SRT Coupe should be doing at least 1:33 bone stock, which it would have, if they had the Stig, or some competent Viper track driver at the wheel. We've got one local guy, Ken H, who can do a 1:30 with a 400HP GEN1! If the Stig did about a 1:42 in the Z4, then he would would be looking at Gen1 tailights, all the way around the track. That is, if he could still see them, being 12 seconds behind. Our Ken H would be out of his "lowly" Gen1 Viper already, getting a cup of coffee, by the time the Stig crossed the finish line in the Z4.

1:42+ in a SRT Coupe! Pfft!

Because of this assinine conclusion to their test, anyone with half a brain would have to conclude that Top Gear has ZERO credibility as a true automotive journal. (thats "ZED" to you, Clarkson)

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't download this video to save my life.

If anyone would be willing to e-mail it to me, please pm me and I will send you my e-mail address.

Thanks in advance

Kai

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Kai, its a 35 MB zipped file. Download it to a temp folder, then extract it. It opens fine with Windows Media Player.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai, its a 35 MB zipped file. Download it to a temp folder, then extract it. It opens fine with Windows Media Player.

I've tried downloading it on 3 different computers using 3 different internet providers.

I just get a 404 error every time. Tried allowing cookies, tried blocking cookies. At my wits end on this one.

anyone who can e-mail it to me at kai @ larsonweb.com will have my eternal gratitude.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can watch the video here without downloading it:

Viper Vs. Z4

Enjoy!

Thanks! Finally got to view it.

Did anyone else notice that Clarkson's monolog was almost word for word the same as his review of the SRT-10 convertible (minus the positive stuff.)

Whoever was driving the Viper pretty much sucked. Switch drivers and the outcome would have been different (unless Clarkson was issuing BMW "team orders" to ensure a Z4 win.)

It's hard to believe than anyone who has driven as many cars as Clarkson has could think that the Z4 is as fast as a Viper around a road course. I noticed that he also said that the Z4 is a better track car than the C6 Z06 Vette. Makes you wonder if he even tries to be objective.

As for the 1:42 lap around Willow Springs, I'm guessing that this is a standing start lap, which may account for the slow time. Most measured lap times I see are based on a flying start.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes exactly the same.........as the convertible tested. The wording is the same as that telecast.

" Just when you think you have ....it kills you"
" Health and safety have put their hands in it"
" But I love the car "

His analysis of the Viper breaks sucked.
The lap driving was terrible and in my opinion guys TOP GEAR is more Hollywood then vehicle assessment. I would not make too much of it. Just recently Motor Trend analyzed the Viper as having one of the best track lap times because of its ability to handle corners. 1.02 G's.
I would love to race the stig in the BMW anytime and anywhere...........

Patrick

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Ok, I get it now....

Clarkson is NOT TRYING to be objective, not at all...

He incites the passion of the audience by outright slander, misrepresentation, and in short, just kinda slaps us in the face. There is a commercial reason for such technique- IT SELLS AD SPACE!

If you have a controversial view, it attracts debate, and "gets the crowd worked up". This makes people tune in to see what he is saying, (even more so if they hate him), which all makes for a commercially successful show.

He isn't stupid after all! (cha-$-ching!)

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper driver may have 'been really familiar' with the track, but he was not familiar with the car. I am SURE, the two drivers switched cars to compare, they just didn't air that video, for whatever reason. The show plays to a European audience. Wouldn't we do the same to protect the good ol' USA?