torque spec for belanger headers

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just ordered my belanger headers but forgot to ask if the kit comes with torque spec for headers. Just getting prepared for when they come, I dont want to run into any snags such as this. and also is it easier to bring the headers from underneath or from top. thanks for all the other info you guys are giving me on my 2000 gts. Venom1

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are two piece, therefore, fairly easy to drop in from the top. To finish off the job, buy some "Stage 8" header bolts. They look good and don't rotate loose.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't remember if they come with a torque spec or not. I think I torqued mine to the factory spec of 200 in/lbs (23n/m) and haven't had any problems after about 7K miles on them.

I used the fiber gaskets that came with the headers and retorqued after the first couple hundred miles without any problems, but a lot of people seem to recommend using new factory style gaskets instead as they have had problems with the fiber gaskets leaking over time. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the factory gaskets to be safe.

You will need to pull out the blower assembly to get access on the passenger side. All in all, it's not a very difficult job to install the headers.

ScottB7133

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just finished my Belanger install on my 2001 GTS. I also ordered a set of the Dodge factory Exhaust Manifold Gaskets. They are made out of Metal instead of the fiber/Paper Belanger Gaskets. You can order them from any Dodge dealer for about $22.00 each. I also torqued mine to the factory specs. The install was pretty easy. When you get the headers, you unbolt the collectors and install from the top. Then re attach the collectors. The factory manifolds also come out from the top.

Also depending on the mileage on your Viper, you may want to go ahead and replace the Spark Plugs and Wires. If you have 15,000+ miles it makes sense to do it.

Scott

ScottB7133

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any idea what the part number is for the metal gaskets?

Yes, Dodge part number is: 5004 014AA. Same number for the driver and passenger side. ZI think they list for about $22.00 each.

Scott

OP
OP
V

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for for the info. I will change the spark plugs for sure. I only have 5,000 miles on my 2000gts but like u said I might as well change them plugs to be safe.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About how long does it take to install them? I have all of the tools required. I've done engine swaps, tranny rebuilds, etc. so it's not like I am some rookie. Think I could do it on a Saturday afternoon???

EDIT: I should say that I have done car work on OTHER cars, not the Viper. Like, all three of the Mustangs I have owned, my Jeep, etc.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my time and did it over a weekend working off and on. I would say it would take the average person about 6-8 hours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine