Touch Up Paint

osuaero

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been trying to do some small chip repair on my red '06 coupe using the Mopar touch up paint. The touch up paint doesn't seem to like wet sanding and polishing. It has a decent shine, but gets a little cloudy gray during the process, thus not matching well at all. Anyone else have this problem? Would I be better off going to Napa or a body shop for paint?

Thanks.

OP
OP
O

osuaero

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish the local dealers were a little more enthusiastic about the Viper or that I lived closer to you guys. Hopefully I don't need warranty work as I haven't found one in the area that I trust. Do you guys use lacquer for this, or do you give out the base that then has to be cleared?

Thanks.

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good luck with the touch-up! I see you are in Tulsa. You should come and join us for one of the local gatherings. Our next one is a track event 3/30 in OKC..I see it shows you as an enthusiast...Have you joined the VCA? You should at least send your VIN # to the Mods and they will update you to Viper Owner. We have a really good Viper Tech in OKC. He has done several touch ups.

Affatica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always had decent success with bodyshop touch-up paint. But remember that generally touch-up paint is much softer than the paint from the factory. So it will generally respond differently to sanding and polishing than the rest of the car.

There are quite a few good articles and posts over at Meguiar's online about the topic. Do a search there.

Meguiar's Online

Reaction score
Wish the local dealers were a little more enthusiastic about the Viper or that I lived closer to you guys. Hopefully I don't need warranty work as I haven't found one in the area that I trust. Do you guys use lacquer for this, or do you give out the base that then has to be cleared?

Thanks.

We use a enamel that can be done in one step for non metallic paints but the metallic ones are a base and then a clear. I don't want to start a rush on my body shop but if you need some send me an Email at [email protected] with you address and color. I will get some made up ad send it out. If you need the clear I can send you some of that also.

Have a great day! ;)

OP
OP
O

osuaero

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've put my VIN on my profile, but it hasn't been updated. I've been meaning to join the VCA, just seems to always get pushed down the priority list. I would certainly be interested in getting together with the local guys. I just need to know when and where, unfortunately I'm busy next weekend. Look forward to seeing you guys in the future. Do you know of anyone who has had service work done here in Tulsa?

ACR VYPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We use a enamel that can be done in one step for non metallic paints but the metallic ones are a base and then a clear. I don't want to start a rush on my body shop but if you need some send me an Email at [email protected] with you address and color. I will get some made up ad send it out. If you need the clear I can send you some of that also.

Have a great day! ;)

I sure do wish you were around the corner from California:drive: