Track on 1996 GTS Wheels

mmacias2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would like to do a couple track events with my stock 1996 GTS this year and have hear/read the the 96 cast wheels are prone to cracking at the track. This is not my primary track car and will not be used as such but I would like to take it out a few times for fun.

Question is that on street tires (PS2's) are the cast wheels still at risk of cracking? Has anyone cracked them on street tires at the track or only using slicks? I would like to avoid purchasing a new set of wheels if unnecessary but obviously don't want to risk myself and the car if these wheels are truly unsafe.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have my Original 96 GTS cast wheels with my original tires still on them. Although the car has never been tracked, street driving did not cause any damage to them. they are still mint..

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As I recall, there were some cracks seen on street driven 1996 OEM wheels.

Keep in mind that PS2's are sticky when warm. Our PS2's pick up and throw rocks nearly as much as our Pilot Sport Cups...so, one might extrapolate that you may "over-stress" your wheels far more than the OEM Pilot mxx3's.

I would look for some used track wheels...which should be cheap as 17" wheels no longer popular.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only a fool would use these wheels on the track. If you do not want to spend the money
to properly track this car then forget it, use your other track car. Buy new wheels form
JonB @Partsrack & also get new sneakers.....

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to keep the original look of the car, buy some 97 Forged wheels and rafter the originals... That's what I did..

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am a fool then. I have tracked my 96 GTS with cast wheels with PS2's at over 12 track events with no problems at all. I have never heard of anyone having problems with the cast wheels while running PS2's. However, if you use another tire, then you are taking a huge risk. The first person that noticed this problem was Dean Word. Back around 97 or 98, he was able to get his cast replace with forged.

Rev

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Your best bet is to pick up a set of 99-02 wheels or the older 92-95 17". Both are great for the track. PM me if you want a cheap set of 92-95 wheels.