Track Racing

Bristolrover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Lads, has anyone ever ran with the "Track Racing" crowd on wednesdays at Willow.? They have a day on march 11th. $150. 3 run groups.I want to run my Vipe for the first time.....

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My personal feeling is: no matter what the group is, what the event is....If you take your car to the track, something happens, car comes back wrecked....It should be on you...

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My personal feeling is: no matter what the group is, what the event is....If you take your car to the track, something happens, car comes back wrecked....It should be on you...

Sorry but that statement is absured! If that was the case "Viper Days" and any other events would never exist. I should have had countless "something happens" moments. Drive within your limits and its SAFER than a drive on the Interstate! My personal feeling is I am way more likely to get hurt or have the car get hurt on the freeway than running on a roadcorse. Put pride in the back seat when you go to the track and learn your car! It's so much fun! :2tu:
I know insurance doesn't cover at the track but from most the threads I have read they don't give you crap if you wreck on the street either.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Lads, has anyone ever ran with the "Track Racing" crowd on wednesdays at Willow.? They have a day on march 11th. $150. 3 run groups.I want to run my Vipe for the first time.....

If this is your first time on a track get an instructor if they offer one(Do not go on your own). Take a HPD school course. Have fun!

OP
OP
B

Bristolrover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From my experience of open test and club track days, I,ve found there allways to be a percentage of wankers on the course, especially open test days. You get the squids that think they are racers and the racers that think your a squid. But it's pretty easy to stay out of their way, then it's safe. If you spin into the desert in a plastic car, you'll need a little touch up, but if you don't drive over your head, you shouldn't spin..... Let's face it, if you don't take a fast car to the track you will never, ever know what it's capable of and if you say you've found the limits on the street, in the canyons, then I'm sorry, but you're one of those squids too.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bristolrover -- sounds like you have some experience with HPDE events. If you haven't already done so, (1) have your car inspected by a competent Viper Tech or mechanic to make sure the car is sound (brake pads, rotors, hoses, bearing etc.) and (2) check you insurance policy to determine whether there are exclusions for any and all track use. It may be wise to get some supplelmental collision/liability insurance in any event.

/Rich

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry that most will not agree. But everytime one of you take your Viper to Viper Day's or HPDE and wreck, you then whine that the insurance company will either fight to not pay out or if they do you are unhappy with the settlement or offer. All this info is compiled & then my rates go up because you wrecked your Viper.

Viper Days & HPDE are only venues to allow you to learn your car. They are not Venues to use when you wreck your car & want to be reimbursed from your insurance compay. If you cant pay then don't play.....

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry that most will not agree. But everytime one of you take your Viper to Viper Day's or HPDE and wreck, you then whine that the insurance company will either fight to not pay out or if they do you are unhappy with the settlement or offer. All this info is compiled & then my rates go up because you wrecked your Viper.

Viper Days & HPDE are only venues to allow you to learn your car. They are not Venues to use when you wreck your car & want to be reimbursed from your insurance compay. If you cant pay then don't play.....

I agree that when one takes their car to a track school or HPDE there is an element of assumed risk, whether your regular, "street" insurance policy has a clear exclusion for on-track events or not. I think there is a middle ground, however, to the approach of simply saving enough cash to be able to pay for any damage out of pocket. One such approach s to buy supplemental on-track insurance from a place like Prosure.net, Everitt Boles, etc.

/Rich

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but that statement is absured! If that was the case "Viper Days" and any other events would never exist. I should have had countless "something happens" moments. Drive within your limits and its SAFER than a drive on the Interstate! My personal feeling is I am way more likely to get hurt or have the car get hurt on the freeway than running on a roadcorse. Put pride in the back seat when you go to the track and learn your car! It's so much fun! :2tu:
I know insurance doesn't cover at the track but from most the threads I have read they don't give you crap if you wreck on the street either.

Completely agree with Shandon.

There's a big distinction amongst, test/tune events, open track days and a driving school, such as Viper Days/NARRA. NARRA places you in run groups based on your driving experience and then grids you accordingly within your driving group/experience, which allows for a very enjoyable, educating, and comfortable track experience.

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Frank,

I would be willing to place a friendly wager on saying that there are more Vipers wrecked on the streets than on the track (I've already taken into consideration that street Vipers are driven more, but on the flip side of that there are many more street Vipers than Vipers that see track time).

I'm confused by the second sentence in your second paragraph "They are not Venues to use when you wreck your car & want to be reimbursed from your insurance compay." I don't think anyone willingly goes to a Viper Days/NARRA driving school or any other HPDE to wreck their car. By the way, I completely agree with your 1st and 3rd sentences.

Last edited:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The So California Viper Club is a very track oriented club. Cars have gone off track, but usually only need a dust off afterwards.

Most Viper accidents that I have heard of are primarily on the street.

OP
OP
B

Bristolrover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If one should spin off and do damage to the car, as long as there is no abulance report, one could trailer the car home and tell the insurance you wrecked it in the canyon. Someone cut you off and slit and left you in the ditch........underhanded maybe but don't the insurance companies **** us anyway?

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me insurance fraud wouldn't be worth it, just to get my car fixed...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If one should spin off and do damage to the car, as long as there is no abulance report, one could trailer the car home and tell the insurance you wrecked it in the canyon. Someone cut you off and slit and left you in the ditch........underhanded maybe but don't the insurance companies **** us anyway?

I hope you never have to do that but IF you do, good luck with that! Don't forget to remove the numbers before the adjustor visits. :2tu:

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:lmao:

If they wern't bending you over already on monthly payments they will be if you go to Jail for insurance fraud:chairfall:

OP
OP
B

Bristolrover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know, it's kinda dodgey cheating like that and I doubt if I'd do it. I've been going to the Pantera events at Willow, twice a year for years. I had one of the nicest panteras in the club.I ran it a few times and spun too but never put a scratch on it. Just rubber marks. I can honestly say I've probably only ever seen 2 or 3 cars get smashed in all those years and those guys were the squidy types. Just circulating with the medium run groups, your safer
than driving back from Willow on a friday afternoon. That's all I want to do. Besides, in the Vipe, one has to be approaching 160 mph going thru turn 8 into 9. I'm not up for that in a passenger car. I just want to feel the speed and brakes etc the car is capable of. Track days with any club isn't racing unless you're in the fast group.......

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So your saying that since NARRA, Viper Days, HPDE venues are available and you take your car to the track...something happens...you wreck your car...insurance should cover it ? if this is the way you think.....Buy Track Insurance...Oh, but then you will complain that it is expensive....

Auto Insurance is for the street...This is why you need insurance to drive on the street, highway....This is what insurance is for....

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Bristol,

A few of us will be running at Willow Springs this weekend with the Pantera Group.

Look for the red trailer with the Viper Logos on the sides.

Hope to see you there,

Dan

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So your saying that since NARRA, Viper Days, HPDE venues are available and you take your car to the track...something happens...you wreck your car...insurance should cover it ? if this is the way you think.....Buy Track Insurance...Oh, but then you will complain that it is expensive....

Auto Insurance is for the street...This is why you need insurance to drive on the street, highway....This is what insurance is for....

Wrong insurance isn't just for the street it is in case ****e happens, and track damage would definitely fall into that category. I'm not a track expert by any means, but I've had the great opportunity of seeing some great drivers at the track and can tell you that I feel more comfortable being behind them @ 80+mph or them passing @ 100+mph than I do during everyday driving where people don't have the same level of concentration or consideration for their fellow motorist.

How many times have you been on a track? Have you done any HPDEs? Judging by your responses I would find it very difficult to believe you've ever been and that is why you have a perception that it is "so dangerous and I will damage my car". As someone mentioned earlier and was echoed by ViperX during my first track day, "stay within yourself and have fun".

Last edited:

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for those that think i am a Poser.
Sure **** happens that is why track insurance is available.

You must be registered for see images

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with the other post; insurance fraud is not the way to go.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line, check the language of your insurance policy for exclusions for track usage. There are generally 2 sets of language out there: the first type of language has exclusions for times events, racing, activities in preparation for racing. Arguably, untimed HPDE events and dricing schools should be covered by this language but the reality is that an insurance company will scrutinize your activity carefully with its own investigator etc and will not automatically pay under even this language. Also, even if they pay once there is a chance they will drop you during the next renewal cycle.

The newer language seen more on policies excludes coverage for any acciden that occurs on a track surface which would exclude any activity including HPDE and schools.

/Rich

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My agent actually wants me to attend a HPDE...
She said bring her a certificate, I'll get a discount. :dunno: