Track tires

escapedan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Gen 3 and have been using Hoosier A6/R6 (autocross/track) tires on OEM 6-spoke wheels (275/35/18 and 345/30/19) which are great, but ridiculously expensive. Nearly $1400 a set with mounting and they don't last long.

Are there other less expensive options? What about "used" tires for track days? Id sure appreciate any suggestions of sources with regular used tire stock? I'm not competing, primarily doing HPDE/TT events.

At this point I'm actually considering getting into a different car for the track due to the cost of tires for our Vipers.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact Jonb... He sends out a monthly email listing all his slightly used track tires for sale.

I have been running toyo r888s and am very happy with them.

I do drive to the track so I needed a street legal tire.

Pm me if you want me to forward his last inventory list.

OP
OP
E

escapedan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What about wheel / tire size? I should have clarified that in my original post - I am very open to using a different size wheel/tire combo. I understand there is a small mod required to the e-brake to run 18" rear wheels which is no problem at all.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run 18's all around on a VR1 wheel.

295 or 305 up front, 335 in the back.

I have seen some Vipers at the track run 335's all around.

The tires I buy from JonB are mostly 75% used, already shaved and heat cycled and last quite awhile for me.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used tires are a good value.

How even are your wear patterns? Expensive tires last MUCH longer when inflation pressures, wheel alignments and brake balance are given high priority. Driving style and skill development also are very important factors. I used to ruin front tires quite regularly (flatspots) until I spent about $1500 on pads, calipers, discs, a good tire gauge and a pyrometer. I can't remember the last time I've had a front lockup that caused problems. At least with an SRT, you've got excellent brakes to start with.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering about how many track days they last for you?

I go through fronts faster than the rears:lmao:

My (purchased used) rears have been on for 7 track days so far and have more left.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Plenty of good choices and though the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups don't appear to have quite the stick of a R6 Hoosier, they do definitely last longer -- that is the key. When it is warm they really work well, but if conditions are quite cool, the Hoosier or the Kumho are better choices. Since your concern is wear, I would lean towards the Michelin. Interesting that Leslie likes the Toyos , because, unless this tire was redone alot, it was so universally despised that Spec Miata discontinued it and went back to the R1s.

World Challenge is still using the tire, so hopefully Toyo listened and did revamp the tire this year --- it was not well liked even by World Challenge when first introduced. The prior tire was well known for consistent lap times and wearability.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want any further thoughts.

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's wild, I saw a few reviews of the toys too and was not expecting to like them to be honest!

The last 2 weeks in them have been my best lap times by far. Wondering if I would like the older toyos even more....?

Plenty of good choices and though the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups don't appear to have quite the stick of a R6 Hoosier, they do definitely last longer -- that is the key. When it is warm they really work well, but if conditions are quite cool, the Hoosier or the Kumho are better choices. Since your concern is wear, I would lean towards the Michelin. Interesting that Leslie likes the Toyos , because, unless this tire was redone alot, it was so universally despised that Spec Miata discontinued it and went back to the R1s.

World Challenge is still using the tire, so hopefully Toyo listened and did revamp the tire this year --- it was not well liked even by World Challenge when first introduced. The prior tire was well known for consistent lap times and wearability.

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

Last edited:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, figured out today at the track, when the toyo r888s decide they are done, they let you know.

Tried for 2 sessions today to get some grip. I was fighting to keep it shiny side up, hahaha!

So they lasted 6 track days and about 1k miles, and they had 70% left when I got them.

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

Anyone offering slightly used Pilot Sport Cups?

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for not being more specific, I am looking for the Pilot Sport Cups for the Gen3 in the original 18 front and 19 rear tires.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Gen 3 and have been using Hoosier A6/R6 (autocross/track) tires on OEM 6-spoke wheels (275/35/18 and 345/30/19) which are great, but ridiculously expensive. Nearly $1400 a set with mounting and they don't last long.

Are there other less expensive options? What about "used" tires for track days? Id sure appreciate any suggestions of sources with regular used tire stock? I'm not competing, primarily doing HPDE/TT events.

At this point I'm actually considering getting into a different car for the track due to the cost of tires for our Vipers.

I don't know why i did it,because i will never track either of my Vipers...but i saw an ad here i think for four 17" Viper wheels with hoosiers and i thought it was a good deal so i bought them.:crazy2: Now they just sit in my garage and i feel stupid everytime i look at them..The guy said they only had about a hundred miles on them.They are the same wheels as i have on my 94 RT/10. ARE 17" WHEELS OBSOLETE ? Or is it just me ? lol

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run 18's all around on a VR1 wheel.

295 or 305 up front, 335 in the back.

I have seen some Vipers at the track run 335's all around.

The tires I buy from JonB are mostly 75% used, already shaved and heat cycled and last quite awhile for me.

Oops meant 75% LEFT! Haha

Anyway, if you want a sticky street -track tire, check out Jonb's inventory, new and used. He's quick on the shipping too:)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I don't know why i did it,because i will never track either of my Vipers...but i saw an ad here i think for four 17" Viper wheels with hoosiers and i thought it was a good deal so i bought them.:crazy2: Now they just sit in my garage and i feel stupid everytime i look at them..The guy said they only had about a hundred miles on them.They are the same wheels as i have on my 94 RT/10. ARE 17" WHEELS OBSOLETE ? Or is it just me ? lol

Two issues here: Rubber and Wheels

Rubber: Once a track-tire like Hoosier has been heat-cycled, it begins to oxidize/decay very quickly. A new street tire driven 1000 miles can sit for 2 years in proper storage and be OK for another 2 years. Wheras a set of track tires raced for 100 miles cannot. They age badly.....Get hard much much faster once heated. Plant geraniums in them, or maybe tomatoes. They hold enuf moisture in their sidewall cavities to make good planters in dry soil. Rumor is, the plants grow FASTER in race slicks !

Wheels: Gen 1, 3-spoke "Sawblade" wheels are not much in demand. A lot of Gen 1s, many thousands, rode on that ONLY wheel from 1992-1995....and it is not a **** wheel (unlike the Viper) Hint: They are VERY LIGHT! Great track/Auto-X wheel, and 17" rubber is cheapest. Or bolt a wheel to the side of the garage for a great hose-reel...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper