**Transmission/ Driveline Clunk>**:confused:

01_VENM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever since I've owned this 01' GTS, there has been this slight clunking noise everytime I shift gear under 3K RPM. The noise is coming directly from the middle shifter beneath the transmission. Doesn't really bother me as all gears shift smoothly like it should and car pulls like a freight Train...

(It's not coming from that usual passenger rear wheel hub nut.)

I've been reading some threads and sounds like this could be a normal issue? However I've driven a few Viper and sure did not recall any clunking in the driveline when shifting gear.

To be more specific, the clunking sound comes on only when I gas. So shift and gas (clunk comes in)... Anything over 3k RPM no clunking.

Just wanna get to the bottomline of this issue and see if anyone has actually have this exact same problem and gotten it taken care of.

OP
OP

01_VENM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. And do the billet crossmember/poly mount from DBB if you do go in. Also, my '01 had the exact same problem. New tranny mount and u-joints did nothing. Woodhouse poly motor mounts fixed it.

shoot... too many variables now. lol...

I guess I will first tighten all nuts/ bolts first.
If that still doesn't do it then I'll prob. have to bring it in to a Viper Shop. Not sure of any reputable shop around here in Sac. There's Valaya Racing but I keep hearing from others that they are not the best to work on Viper.? :confused:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. And do the billet crossmember/poly mount from DBB if you do go in. Also, my '01 had the exact same problem. New tranny mount and u-joints did nothing. Woodhouse poly motor mounts fixed it.

+1

The mounts are likely the cause of the clunk and you will feel better shifts by changing the motor mounts as well.

:usa:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
shoot... too many variables now. lol...

I guess I will first tighten all nuts/ bolts first.
If that still doesn't do it then I'll prob. have to bring it in to a Viper Shop. Not sure of any reputable shop around here in Sac. There's Valaya Racing but I keep hearing from others that they are not the best to work on Viper.? :confused:

The only way to check the motor mounts is to jack the engine from the oil pan and look for separation. Or just replace them because I'd bet my evening's beer allowance they are shot.

OP
OP

01_VENM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way to check the motor mounts is to jack the engine from the oil pan and look for separation. Or just replace them because I'd bet my evening's beer allowance they are shot.

hey thanks... I'll do that sometime this week.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are even slightly mechanically inclined you and a buddy can replace all three mounts.

Like Dave, I'd bet my peso's that the motor mounts are shot dead.

:usa:

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a common Viper complaint and is usually an indication that you don't have your foot on the accelerator hard enough. Part of it seems to come from driveline slap due to Viper gearing when you drive it like a granny and shift at low RPMS. Both of mine do it to some extent and it seems to come and go dependent on how I am driving the car. Running it hard it is not evident. Poly engine and transmission mounts did not cure it on my GTS. When I first bought my RT/10, I had three different dealers check it out and they found nothing and said it was normal.

I have been told that a switch to 3.55 gears as opposed to 3.07 takes this low speed slap out of the driveline, makes the car much more fun to drive and gains a usable 6th gear. It also normally means an additional shift (to fourth) in drag racing a fairly stock car in the 1/4 mile. With the stock 3.07 gears you can generally run 118-120 MPH in the 1/4 mile in third gear before you bounce off the rev limiter.

Last edited:

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have heard this noise a few times in my car aswell, does anyone know what the price is for the mounts from woodhouse because there is no price listed on there site.

Thanks Jeff

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Knowing that each one of these cars are a little different, and that reading through this thread there are a variety of things people tried that worked and didn't work, if you really want to fix the clunk develop for yourself an ordered list of stuff to do. That's what I did, and the final and hardest to do one fixed it.

I don't remember the exact sequence I did, but this is pretty close.

-> tranny fluid
-> DBB billet crossmember and poly mount
-> u-joints all 6 of them
-> Woodhouse motor mounts which because someone asked are $250 the set

Or just live with the noise.

Alley

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car does this too and I agree with sdaddy about it just being driveline slap. It will do it if I just let out the clutch when shifting gear without giving it any gas really. Never does it when racing or just during spirited driving. Unless your actually feeling the clunk, then it could be mounts. My clunk is basicly just hearing it in the tranny.

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Knowing that each one of these cars are a little different, and that reading through this thread there are a variety of things people tried that worked and didn't work, if you really want to fix the clunk develop for yourself an ordered list of stuff to do. That's what I did, and the final and hardest to do one fixed it.

I don't remember the exact sequence I did, but this is pretty close.

-> tranny fluid
-> DBB billet crossmember and poly mount
-> u-joints all 6 of them
-> Woodhouse motor mounts which because someone asked are $250 the set

Or just live with the noise.

Thank you dave :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang