TRANZILLA vs TR6060 for replacement T56

SRT101969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I´ve reading for many hours about TR6060 upgrade for GEN3s but also found Tremec Magnum Tranzilla.
Does anyone have any experience with both transmissions?
Any comments about Tranzilla?

I am looking in this order:
1. More robust Tranny.
2. Smooth shifts (T56 very hard in track days when hot)
3. Faster shifts

Thanks!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the TRANZILLA in mine after the stocker blew up on the back straight at Road Atlanta.
From my understanding, is basically a TR6060 guts anyway.
I will say that the shifts are a hell of a lot smoother (when warm) and I love it. Also, since I changed out the 5th and 6th ratios (in combination with my 3.33 rear end), it's crazy how much better it is to drive on the street and the track. 5th gear truly keeps pulling instead of falling on it's face and I can be in 6th on the little roads around here at 45 MPH and it chugs along just fine. I lost some highway MPG, but cares?
My "when warm" comment appears to be a common issue with the 6060's anyway. Basically because the first few (3 I think) gears now have 3 ring synchros instead of 2 ring, you feel a little "catch" when going to 2nd or 3rd when you first pull the car out of the garage. However, as soon as you get some heat into it, it's smoother than I ever thought a Viper trans could be. I have a MGW shifter and handle, but they were also on my stock tranny, and I can't believe how much better/smoother/quicker the TRANZILLA is. I honestly felt like I had to "re-learn" how to drive the car! I can almost just tap the trans out of 1st and it seems to automatically go into 2nd. It's that smooth.
I can't speak on how they hold up over the long term, or to big power. I've got about 1,500 street miles and 2 weekends at Road Atlanta on it, and it's still doing great so far with my 500 rwhp.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If you do end up replacing it and your T56 is in good condition let me know if you plan on selling it. Looking for one to put behind a 5.7 I swapped into my 67 Dart.

OP
OP
S

SRT101969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your feedback.

TowDawg, this is what RSGEAR is proposing:
"WE BUILD A TRANZILLA MAGNUM STYLE VIPER
RATED AT 850FTLBS
RACE READY WITH CARBON RINGS 1-4 BLUE PRINTED THIS TRANS HAS MAJOR UPGRADES FROM THE T56 (NO SYNCHRO KEYS) WIDER GEAR TRAIN, LARGER INPUT AND CLUSTER BEARINGS, STRONGER WEBBED FRONT PLATE, LARGER 3/4 SYNCHRO WITH CARBON RINGS, 30 SPLINE MAINSHAFT

PRESSURE LUBE SYSTEM OPTION 750.00
QUICK RELEASE SLAVE 349.0
RSG OIL 5QTS 10.55 PER QT WE MAKE OUR OWN OIL
RATIO'S
2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 .74 .50 OR .80 .63
2.97 2.07 1.43 1.00 .74 .50 OR .80 .63
NEW COST 3995.00 R/R OR EXCHANGE 3495.00
CLOSE RATIO
2.29 1.60 1.21 1.00 .84 .67
NEW COST 4395.00 R/R OR EXCHANGE 3995.00"

Is the same you have?

So you're doing track. I recommend you to do the oil arm upgrade if you haven't done, don´t blow your engine:)

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a Rockland Standard Gear TRANZILLA in my race car for 3 sesaons and I LOVE THIS GEAR BOX. It shifts better than anything I've ever driven the 4.5 gear replacement (FOR 5TH GEAR) makes a HUGE difference on the race track. I have also had the stock box rebuilt in my street car and changed the 5th gear TO 4.5 and the gas mileage did not change because when on the highway I always use 6th gear. And OH by the way we just finished the ONE LAP of AMERICA (we finished in 3rd place overall) in my 08 coupe which we made into an ACRX and part of the rebuild was a TRANZILLA rebuild the gear box was flawless during the OLOA. George is good people and will not steer you wrong. Make the change and you will not regret spending the money. It is a VERY WORTH WHILE improvement. "TRY IT YOU'LL LIKE IT":rolaugh:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly can't remember all of the specs. I'll have to see if I can dig out the invoice and what's listed on there.
I know the 1-4 gears are the same ratio as stock, but I changed to basically a 4.5 and 5.5 instead of 5th and 6th.
I didn't do the pressure oiling system, as I knew I was pretty much retiring the Viper from the track since I bought a race car. I also left the slave stock.
I did an exchange deal with the tranny, fluid, and a stroker/bigger/adaptive yolk. They didn't have any standard yoke tranny's built, so he gave me a great deal on the beefed up one.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Here's what I got.

Part #: TUET26606
Magnum TZ, Viper. Built with 31 spline M/S & 5th/6th .80/.63.
Part #: 3-3-2491X
Yoke, 31 spline Ford. 1350 Ujoint TKO and MAGNUM units.
Part #: 150SM (Qty 5 of these)
Oil, Synthetic. Synchromesh Fluid.

OP
OP
S

SRT101969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your advice is really appreciated. I was also thinking about the 4.5 and 5.5 ratios issue. SCLSSRT10 (we finished in 3rd place overall): CONGRATS!!!, I am trying to upgrade my Snake just as you, but learning curve is tough!!!

OP
OP
S

SRT101969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you very much!!! Here in my country NOBODY tracks a Viper, I am making my way myself against Porsches, Ferraris, Vettes, BMWs and Cobras.

OP
OP
S

SRT101969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you think about going after CLOSE RATIO 2.29 1.60 1.21 1.00 .84 .67 ?????
Thanks!!!

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on what ratio you have in the rear end. You might be hurting yourself with top end. If the tracks you are going to are short tracks and you don't need a lot of top end then the close ratio will work but if you need top end the close ratio might cost you speed as you will run out of useable RPM and limit your potential top speed. Potentially invest in a Quaiffe rear end that will help with corner exist speed and controlability.

OP
OP
S

SRT101969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
" Potentially invest in a Quaiffe rear end that will help with corner exist speed and controlability." I did Wavetracs, still in the 300 miles "go easy" but I think it's a very good Diff.
Above the track I am doing (red), largest straight is .7 miles at the end of it I is the only part I use 5th, most of the track is 2nd and 3rd only.

OP
OP
S

SRT101969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it depends on what ratio you have in the rear end. You might be hurting yourself with top end. If the tracks you are going to are short tracks and you don't need a lot of top end then the close ratio will work but if you need top end the close ratio might cost you speed as you will run out of useable rpm and limit your potential top speed. Potentially invest in a quaiffe rear end that will help with corner exist speed and controlability.

stock ratio 3.07

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rockland Standard gear is the way to go- Nobody knows these Transmissions better Let them know you are a buddy and they will do everything they can for you

OP
OP
S

SRT101969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rockland Standard gear is the way to go- Nobody knows these Transmissions better Let them know you are a buddy and they will do everything they can for you

RSG my pick!!!

"RACE READY WITH CARBON RINGS 1-4 BLUE PRINTED THIS TRANS HAS MAJOR UPGRADES FROM THE T56 (NO SYNCHRO KEYS) WIDER GEAR TRAIN, LARGER INPUT AND CLUSTER BEARINGS, STRONGER WEBBED FRONT PLATE, LARGER 3/4 SYNCHRO WITH CARBON RINGS, 30 SPLINE MAINSHAFT "

NO SYNCHRO KEYS.... WHAT IS THIS????

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would stick with the 1-4 stock gear ratios with 4.5 replacement for 5th gear and leave 6 alone. Otherwise you will find you are going to have to shift more then you want too. I have a 3.36 with a Quaiffe and I still find my shift points are much sooner than with the stock 3.07. That being said it comes out of corners much better but is a lot more torquey(sp?) so you just have to be patient and more careful in applying the power. I also am running slicks, if you are on street tires definetly stay with the above ratios. Just my opinion and you know every A - hole has one.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The above statement (with no personal first hand experience) is exactly how I feel. Quaife and 3.36 would be great! Someday!

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would stick with the 1-4 stock gear ratios with 4.5 replacement for 5th gear and leave 6 alone. Otherwise you will find you are going to have to shift more then you want too. I have a 3.36 with a Quaiffe and I still find my shift points are much sooner than with the stock 3.07. That being said it comes out of corners much better but is a lot more torquey(sp?) so you just have to be patient and more careful in applying the power. I also am running slicks, if you are on street tires definetly stay with the above ratios. Just my opinion and you know every A - hole has one.

You bring up a good point about gearing and here is what I have found.....let me now your thoughts. On most tracks the Gen 3/4 will be faster time wise with a 3.07 and the stock 1-4 ratio's on an open track with no traffic since you can do most tracks in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear (usually just 3rd and 4th) with less time lost to shifting. But if you're "racing" and having to pass slower cars, the 3.07 does seem to hamper acceleration to get around those cars before the next corner. So while your practice lap times may be faster when there is no traffic on the course, you actually have a harder time passing other cars since it takes longer to accelerate to the next gear. So, while your lap speed might be slower, you win the race since you finish first with the 3.36's or 3.55's since it is easier to stay in the peak of your power band.

What have you found in your experience?

Cheers,
George

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude