Trunk lid drops with a wing.

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We put a front splitter and rear wing on our 08. Its not an ACR. Now the trunk doesn't stay open. It stays open just long enough to make you think it will stay, then it sends you to the emergency room for stiches in your head.

I figure the same problem may occur with the ACR. It there a replacment set of those things that hold up the trunk lid? Any solutions besides a broom stick? Thanks

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my acr trunk stays open with no problem and has yet to decapitate me. only problem is timing the opening with the pop when you unlock it so you dont have to use two hads to open the trunk.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not see any sized for Viper convertible trunks. Am I missing something?

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my acr trunk stays open with no problem and has yet to decapitate me. only problem is timing the opening with the pop when you unlock it so you dont have to use two hads to open the trunk.

Mine doesn't pop open with the key fob. I've always wondered it is is supposed to and I guess you answered that.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are two different rear deck gas struts from the factory for the 2008 and 2009's... on for no wing and one for wing equipped...

Both available from your dealer.

05030099AC - With Wing (MXN option)
68033127AA - Without Wing

So it's not too surprising that the deck sags with a big aftermarket wing... especially if it is not as light as the carbon original.

Also you'll note that the ACR and ARY equipped cars have a bit of red paint on the strut that shows that it is the higher load unit.

Last edited:

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My ACR's trunk lid is very heavy to lift open but once opened, it will stay up. I wouldn't mind replacing the OEM struts w/ something that allows both easier opening and easier closing (is better struts do both?).

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My ACR's trunk lid is very heavy to lift open but once opened, it will stay up. I wouldn't mind replacing the OEM struts w/ something that allows both easier opening and easier closing (is better struts do both?).

This should help! :lmao:

You must be registered for see images

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas