Tuning issue - please help!

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 1996 RT/10 with a Paxton set-up (with some uprated parts over the kit spec, 50lbs injectors being most relevant). I'm finally in the process of getting the car mapped right now. I'm using a Split Second fuel and timing controller (FTC1) to modify the basic tune on the ECU across map cells and I'm wondering what base map I should start with on my factory ECU (i.e., the base factory one or something).

However, the FTC-1 unit can only reduce fuelling or retard timing. So I was wondering if I want to start with an ECU tune that is factory apart from having quite advanced timing and then start the tuning process with a lot of retard on timing on the FTC1 (to more than counteract the advance on the ECU tune) and pull back from there? This is the only way that I can see how to effectively have the ability to advance timing using the FTC1.

Alternatively, is the standard ECU tune effectively advanced enough (relative to what is require for a s/c car); i.e., given that I'll need to retard for on boost positions on the map? What about off boostmap cells though?

I thought that the standard ECU tune would allow more subsequent flexibility during tuning (the effective ability to advance timing) than one that was tailored to a Paxton set-up since I guess that will already come with a ******** ignition timing?

I appreciate that it would be easier to go to AEM, MoTeC etc but, for the time being, I'm going to havge to do it this way.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to talk to someone about the SCT software. You are going to have difficulties, if you are explaining the FTC1 correctly.

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You need to talk to someone about the SCT software. You are going to have difficulties, if you are explaining the FTC1 correctly.

Can you provide more details as to how I'll have difficulties?

The Paxton kit already has a Split Second controller but it's not used to allow mapping. I've bought one that has two signal inputs (I will input and log AFR and knock) and I'll tweak the tune in terms of fuelling and timing at map cells. It seems fairly straightforward but I want to have a base tune on the standard ECU (via SCT) that allows for sufficient versatility when tuning.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without something in addition to the FTC you have no control over closed loop mapping. That could create driveability issues. How are you going to address the map cells?

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Without something in addition to the FTC you have no control over closed loop mapping. That could create driveability issues. How are you going to address the map cells?

The FTC-1 software allows you to map across all cells. It is effectively closed loop mapping as I will have WBL AFR as an input (as well as knock) and can map across all load vs RPM cells.

I suppose that you could argue that it is 'static closed loop' through the manual fixing of cell values. Also, proper closed loop mapping also has it's own issues that this version of fixed call values has an advangage over.

Last edited:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The FTC-1 software allows you to map across all cells. It is effectively closed loop mapping as I will have WBL AFR as an input (as well as knock) and can map across all load vs RPM cells.

I suppose that you could argue that it is 'static closed loop' through the manual fixing of cell values. Also, proper closed loop mapping also has it's own issues that this version of fixed call values has an advangage over.

Can you log cells and turn off the LTFT.